Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mia, a 1,5 year old toy poodle and Chico, a 4 year old cockatiel
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just a cute pic of Mia interacting with chico + Mia waiting for me to throw a ball (Interactions with Chico are always supervised and Mia is trained not to chase Chico when he flies)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
How sweet is that! My family had birds many, many years ago, and I remember putting my cockatiel by one of my poodle mixes, and she was actually afraid of him!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
We too have a cockatiel, Jazzy..he just turned 21 years old, anyone of my dogs or cats would consider him a snack. So good girl Mia for your patience.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Mufar42 I’m lucky Mia turned out to be such a low-prey drive dog. She LOVES to chase cats and birds outside but when Mia first came home, I slowly introduced the two behind glass. Since Chico is an easy-going bird he is almost always perched on my shoulder rather than flying or walking on the ground, so Mia couldn’t get to him even if she tried because she’s so tiny! 6 pounds actually.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My dogs have grown up with my macaws and get on really well, never out together unless supervised but they have grown up together. It’s funny when the dogs bark and it’s the parrots telling them off, mind blowing when they even use the name of the actual dog ( l have 5) so clever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@amead0703 Ahh both your macaws and poodle are adorable! Poodles AND macaws must be a handful, wow!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The macaws l got after losing my dog and swearing l would never get another, the heart break was too much, and here l am with 5 dogs , as much as l told myself l did not want another dog after my heart started to heal l came to realise the love they give far out weights the heartbreak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dogs have grown up with my macaws and get on really well, never out together unless supervised but they have grown up together. It’s funny when the dogs bark and it’s the parrots telling them off, mind blowing when they even use the name of the actual dog ( l have 5) so clever

My African Grey Chicoo used to tell our dogs to be quiet when they barked. She also used to tell them to sit.

it never worked but that didn’t stop her from trying.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Love the African Grey....my neighbor has one, I always wanted one but I'm not really good with birds so I passed. Its so funny as they learn to speak, his has two distinct voices, one is his and the other his wife. When I had horses we had a farrier that had one, he told me a story how one day, his brother came over, knocked at the door and the bird said "come on in". He was in the shower and was glad it was his brother that walked in. LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
My African Grey Chicoo used to tell our dogs to be quiet when they barked. She also used to tell them to sit.

it never worked but that didn’t stop her from trying.

View attachment 473187
She’s lovely

My green wing Ruby makes a funny low rumbling noise which sets off all the dogs howling, she will then laugh.
I’m so sure they understand what they say and do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
She’s lovely

My green wing Ruby makes a funny low rumbling noise which sets off all the dogs howling, she will then laugh.
I’m so sure they understand what they say and do.

I heard somewhere that dogs are about a smart as 3 year olds (poodles probably a bit more) and parrots are about as smart as 5 year olds.

Based on my experience I’d say that’s true.

A 3 year old understands basic things like commands but a 5 year old is far smarter and knows enough to tease others.

Our parrots have always teased our dogs.

Chicoo was so smart, I literally had conversations with her and I swear she got it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts