Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any other people here have poodles that act as there alarm clocks?
My mom says that I am the very best alarm clock ever! I have figured out that if it is early-ish in the morning I should start whining, but I also should stop whining the instant mom tells me to shush. Then if it is early enough mom will get out of bed and thank me for waking her up that morning. I have the best job ever, I get the two most important things I want at that moment, praise from mom, and getting let out of my crate to go play ball.
A little back story behind this. I tend to sleep through almost all alarm clocks, or if they are loud enough to actually wake me up they are so loud that they give me a headache and make it so that I have to cover my ears so I can get over to the alarm clock and turn it off. This is one of the great things dogs do all the time.

Your friend Evie and Evie's mom.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Dear Evie,

First thing is bust outta the crate and get on the bed. I prefer the middle, so I can push the humans, if I need more room. I am in charge of getting any stragglers out of bed by looming over them. 5:00 AM works for me. Good hunting in the dark then a hearty breakfast, after which I’m kinda tired again. I always let them know when it’s time for us to get up, eat or go outside. They totally rely on me.

Your pal,

Buck

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Poppy here,
I usta wake Mama about 5:30 or 6:00.... now that I am 3 years old and kinda grown up I wait until 7-7:30. I push my nose on Mama's nose and leave it there ...if she doesn't open her eyes I give her nose a little lick. That wakes her up. Mama gives me a little snack, I go pee, and we go back to bed.. .most times Mama stays awake.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Evie's mom...There was a time I could sleep through anything. I can remember my husband coming to my house when I was young to pick me up and if I were asleep he would throw stones at my window, bang on the front door, ring the bell (we had a really loud annoying bell) and nothing would wake me. I was this way until the day my first child came home. I have been a very light sleeper ever since and hear every little creek. I am alway up before the dogs, lol This morning it was 4 am but I stayed in bed till about 10 of then took a shower before getting started this morning.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Der Evie,

Mommee liks to krate me an I skrach to get out erly in mornin. Las nite mommy wuz too tird to putt me in krate so I slepted on bed. I let mommee slep till 8:30 am. I yous pawsitiv reinforsment on her to let me slep on bed!

Luv,

Maizie

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maizie, our moms both seem to like to put us in the crate at night. For some reason, they think that we will behave better if we are crated. I hope that your positive reinforcement will help to let your mom let you sleep on the bed.
Mufar, I do not think that I could live through getting up at four in the morning most mornings.
Poppy, I might just start considering letting mom sleep in more, but then again it is fun to wake mom up in the mornings.
I wish I was allowed to lick my mom's nose. She made it utterly clear that she does not like having her nose licked ever. You are very lucky that your mom allows you to lick her nose.
Dear Buck. Could you please teach me how to bust out of the crate? I have been trying from the very beginning to open it but my efforts have so far been to no avail. I wish I could get on the bed but so far I have not been able to figure out how to climb onto mom's bed. 5:00 am is one of my favorite times to get mom up at, so that she can bring me on her 1 1/2 - 3-mile walk in the morning.

Your Friend,
Evie.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Evie! I am the BESTest alarm poodle! My human sleeps super lightly so I just stand on the edge of the bed and she gets up. We get up at 6 because I hear the other dog and human up.

My human said she was going to crate me until I was one, but I used pawsative reinforcement like Maizie. I got her up when I was a baby puppy 2 times in the night until she got super tired and forgot to crate me. I then let her sleep in later, cause she remembered to put me away if she woke up. I started sleeping 8-10 hrs by the time I was 5 months. Now I am old and mature at 7 months, but I keep getting her up at 3 because I don't pee when she puts me out before bed.

My human says if I wake her up again, she will put me in the downstairs crate. You don't think she means it, right Evie?

Annie xoxo

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My dogs are not early morning alarm clocks. They'd like to snooze forever. But...

Sam: Sam is the "it's time for a walk" alarm clock. When he thinks it is time to go, he sits beautifully in the middle of the room and stares at me. Stare, stare, STARE.

Bob (RIP): Bob was the "it's time for supper" alarm clock. He would walk into the kitchen and bark. Supper kept getting earlier and earlier. By the time he died, they were eating supper at 3 pm. Bob was very effective at lobbying for what he wanted.

Cammie: Cammie is more of a go with the flow kind of girl.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Because of my insomnia I usually fall asleep around 2 or 3am most nights, then 'sleep in' ......but until no later than 9:30am because Molly will come and lay on my chest to let me know it's time for breakfast! If I have fallen asleep on the couch, she will resort to her 'YES' button to notify me! The 'YES' button informs me also that it is 6:00pm (if I am not paying attention to the clock) and time for her evening stroll. She pretty much uses her button to communicate........LOL!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Dear Evie,

I used pitiful puppy crying on the male. He’s the more easily manipulated of my humans. I was fully housebroken, so if you’re not you need to figure that out. Freedom awaits.

The female has told me stories of the late, great Bob. I used one of his early breakfast reminders today at 4:30 AM. The male human almost bought it. Always worth a try:)

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Hi Evie, It's Zekefur...

I used to wake up my mom every morning around 7am when I was younger. I would lay beside her on her pillow, and errrr and grrr and yip until she woke up. Later, I did something she hated, usually around 4 in the morning. It didn't last long cause she screamed at me really loudly! (What did I do? She woke up with my tongue in her mouth for a week or so.) But now that I'm 6, I just let her sleep in. I need my beauty sleep too, ya know? But now I have a partner in crime that waker her up. I'll let Stella tell you about her....

Evie Dahling,

Don't you know to let your mama sleep till 8? At least that's about as long as I can make it. Whether mom is in the bed, or out in the living room with Zeke, I run up on her, Kiss her face, and bounce all over the bed (or her lap). At first, mama would try to shoo me away like a bug until she got used to me doing that. Now she wakes up laughing! And the funniest part?... After I wake her, I GO BACK TO BED! Mama hates that, but that's just me.

So, maybe you should let your mama sleep just a tad later?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Molly, I love your YES button! Hahahaha Where did your mom get such a thing?

Navy is NOT a morning person. He just can't be bothered. I've never had a dog so lackadaisical about getting up. I mean- hello! BREAKFAST! Nope, not Navy. He's a brunch kind of guy. However, if I take a weekend afternoon nap he will come stare at me with his feet on the side of the bed. I'm a poor sleeper, so this kind of psychological intimidation works on me. I wake up.

Reactions: EVpoodle

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Molly where did your mom get your yes button? That is the coolest thing.
I wish Evie was a brunch kid. That is impressive Navy. That takes being an alarm clock to a new level. Ohh Zeke if I did that I think my mom would do yell at me too. Stella, I will consider letting mom sleep in. But there are so many fun things to do in the morning.
Dear Buck. Pitiful puppy crying that's a new one. The male ofy the humans always seem more relexaed about rules then our moms. I used to get moms dad let me sleep on the bed with him when she had to leave me with him when she was gone. But mom found out and made dad out me in the crate at night. To bad he did not by your breakfast scheem. It's always worth trying indeed.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Molly where did your mom get your yes button? That is the coolest thing.
I wish Evie was a brunch kid. That is impressive Navy. That takes being an alarm clock to a new level. Ohh Zeke if I did that I think my mom would do yell at me too. Stella, I will consider letting mom sleep in. But there are so many fun things to do in the morning.
Dear Buck. Pitiful puppy crying that's a new one. The male ofy the humans always seem more relexaed about rules then our moms. I used to get moms dad let me sleep on the bed with him when she had to leave me with him when she was gone. But mom found out and made dad out me in the crate at night. To bad he did not by your breakfast scheem. It's always worth trying indeed.
Found it on Ebay under "funny sound button" very inexpensive and there are lots of 'other' words too LOL!!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Okay, Molly, I had to go check that out on Ebay. Whoa! Language! Haha. I'm thinking about getting one that says "you're fired!" ala Trump. But I don't want to discourage my mom. I guess it is hard to improve on "yes!"

Did you know that John Lennon went to an art show by Yoko Ono back before they got together? She had this experiential art thing set up: John had to climb a ladder to get up near the ceiling, then use a magnifying glass that was hanging there on a string to read a word she had written. That word was yes. I guess that was the way to John's heart. Anyway, enough romance. Time for snacks. YES!

Reactions: EVpoodle

·
Registered
248 Posts
Gilligan will be my alarm clock if no one has gotten up to take him out. Usually daddy's up at 6am.

After he goes out.. he runs up the stairs and licks and jumps all over me to tell me he peed. Then he goes downstairs and back to sleep. Arghhhhh.....

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Asta is my alarm clock - he will nudge me and l;et me know it it time for our morning routine, which includes taking my medicine. He will also nudge me evening and night for routine and my medications. Funny now, he does not nudge me to go out - he will use his potty bells. So he is my alarm clock and my medication alert dog.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My momma doesn't like me being an alarm clock! If she did, I would be the BEST at it, but she told me I can't do that anymore.

I used to sit by the door and wuff quietly when it was time to get up, getting louder and louder each time until momma got the hint. Sometimes she ignored me, but I'm good at being loud.

Then one day she started getting up right away (which was exciting!) and locking me in my crate (which was not).

After three days of this, I decided I shouldn't wuff at mom in the morning anymore.

Now I hog as much bed as I can get away with and snooze til momma gets up. Or if I reeeeeally want to be up, I'll lay on top of her and stare. It doesn't really work, but sometimes it'll get me a head scratch and momma will tell me I'm cute.

Nimbus

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts