Poodle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I hate to be the one to say this.... but adolescence is never. truly. Gone. Just wait until Peggy (and everyone else's) is about to turn, let's say, 7 years old. Out of NOWHERE comes a playful, puppy type "YIP!", followed by sheer energy induced running around the room, with lots of grrr's and err's and even some I'm-so-tough snarl-like sounds coming from the throat. Then up on the couch, on the table...which has never been allowed... over to the chair, picks up the little pillow and tosses it off the chair, then on the floor to the toy box: reached way down inside that and pulls out a toy not seen in years, and continues said behavior until you are laughing so hard you can't breathe, and your dog comes to rescue you. It has happened to me at least a couple of times a year lol. They just truly, never do, grow up all the way.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I made a rookie mistake today and did our short afternoon clicker session with high value treats. Oh boy. 🙄

She sprinted through everything she's recently mastered and then started barking at me while offering up totally random behaviours.

"How about this?? This? Thisss? THIS?! Ahhhh! Bark! Bark! Bark! I am sooo frustrated!!!"

Learn from my mistakes: Tailor the reinforcements to the setting and circumstances. Her special treat kibble is perfectly adequate for indoor refresher sessions. Eeeesh.

At least it was a good reminder of how far she's come. I can't believe those tantrums used to be a regular occurrence. Please let them stay a distance memory.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I am jealous you have a high value treat that she likes consistently. Last night Noodle turned up his nose at shrimp and filet mignon. Literally. I took a video.
Ha! Really, Noodle?? Who turns up their nose at surf 'n' turf!

These treats are new and therefore highly exciting to Peggy: True Chews "Chicken Pot Pie." We like True Chews for walks because they stay fairly in tact in a pocket or treat pouch, but are soft enough that we can break off little pieces that she can eat on the go. We usually give her the chicken & apple sausage kind.

Other Peggy winners are string cheese and PureBites chicken. She never seems to get tired of either of them. And string cheese is great because I can hold an end and let her nibble if we have to pass by something absolutely thrilling by adolescent poodle standards.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I am waiting for this day! Peggy loves to eat stuffing. I can't even imagine what she'd do with a squeaker. I'm guessing guard it and then gulp it down.

Does Sisko eat two meals a day? I've almost given up on giving Peggy breakfast. Sometimes she's hungry around noon. Sometimes around 8pm. Mostly she can't be bothered. And don't even get me started on her drinking habits. Lately if it's not from the toilet, she doesn't want it.
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner! (My notifications don't work sometimes. Please feel free to PM me if you don't hear back from me) It will come!! It took a while for Sisko. (Like he just started this year!) I would guess that she would do the same thing too.

I divide his meals into 3 and a half servings a day now. Is Peggy eating now? Do you think she should be free fed? Oh, no, how awful that she wants nasty toilet water!!! Is she drinking like she should now?

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Another old habit just popped up! Peggy used to plop her toys in the tub alllllllll the time. When I finally convinced her to snooze next to the tub instead, it was a MAJOR breakthrough. She's been doing this reliably now for probably about 5 months.

Until tonight.....

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner! (My notifications don't work sometimes. Please feel free to PM me if you don't hear back from me) It will come!! It took a while for Sisko. (Like he just started this year!) I would guess that she would do the same thing too.

I divide his meals into 3 and a half servings a day now. Is Peggy eating now? Do you think she should be free fed? Oh, no, how awful that she wants nasty toilet water!!! Is she drinking like she should now?
It's totally okay! :)

Peggy's been eating well for about a week now, since we started mixing Weruva brand canned chicken into her kibble. She's actually cleaning her bowl, which is kind of amazing. I'm going to start rotating the Weruva flavours to keep her interested. We've also cut back her portion size and are lifting her bowl promptly if she doesn't eat.

Free feeding's just too frustrating with her, and I want her on a solid schedule for when we travel. Whether she's on the road with us or at home with a petsitter, it's important she eats when given the chance.

And no, she's still a terrible drinker. Friggin' poodles. 😂

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It's totally okay! :)

Peggy's been eating well for about a week now, since we started mixing Weruva brand canned chicken into her kibble. She's actually cleaning her bowl, which is kind of amazing. I'm going to start rotating the Weruva flavours to keep her interested. We've also cut back her portion size and are lifting her bowl promptly if she doesn't eat.

Free feeding's just too frustrating with her, and I want her on a solid schedule for when we travel. Whether she's on the road with us or at home with a petsitter, it's important she eats when given the chance.

And no, she's still a terrible drinker. Friggin' poodles. 😂
Good, I'm glad to hear that she's been eating again😀! Okay.

Okay. 👍

Yeah😂

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Peggy destroyed her first human item today (not counting socks or unfortunate hair scrunchies) and I'm buckling up for this next stage of development! Time to re-puppy proof and scale back her freedom a bit.

It was only a drink coaster, but she took it off a side table when she was alone in the living room, and then had an absolute party with it—even at one point inviting her reflection in the cabinet door to join in.

My husband heard the commotion and sneakily observed for a minute before Peggy seemed to abruptly decide she'd had enough freedom and ran to his office. She was shocked to see him standing there. 😂

He got a video. I just need to figure out how to share it here.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Peggy destroyed her first human item today (not counting socks or unfortunate hair scrunchies) and I'm buckling up for this next stage of development! Time to re-puppy proof and scale back her freedom a bit.

It was only a drink coaster, but she took it off a side table when she was alone in the living room, and then had an absolute party with it—even at one point inviting her reflection in the cabinet door to join in.

My husband heard the commotion and sneakily observed for a minute before Peggy seemed to abruptly decide she'd had enough freedom and ran to his office. She was shocked to see him standing there. 😂

He got a video. I just need to figure out how to share it here.
That sounds very fun for her. The amount of joy in their faces makes it so hard to be mad when they "discover toys."

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
On the eve of her first birthday....

Oh boy. The past few days have brought a new level of adolescence. Peggy just wants to go! go! go! Destroy her toys. Play fetch until she breaks us. Poke around the house until she finds something—anything!—she can get into. Nothing is safe.

Gone are the soulful cuddles.
Gone are the dozen naps a day.
Gone is my sanity.

I started this thread when she was 6 months old, which is rather hilarious to me now. 6-month-old Peggy was just a sleepy pile of fluff compared to this lean, mean, teen machine.

If anyone finds her off switch, let me know, k? We seem to have misplaced it.

Countdown to her third birthday starts NOW.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
(I'm popping back in to say that Peggy and I just had the most wonderful dance party and we're both feeling a thousand times better. Can you string some of your poodle's behaviours together into a dance? If so, I highly recommend this + some really upbeat music for mutually beneficial stress-busting!!)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
(I'm popping back in to say that Peggy and I just had the most wonderful dance party and we're both feeling a thousand times better. Can you string some of your poodle's behaviours together into a dance? If so, I highly recommend this + some really upbeat music for mutually beneficial stress-busting!!)
Haha! That sounds great! Hang in there. I'm sure your snuggle-bug will return. Also, remember to enforce those boundaries! If she's acting like a baby you can always show her that you can still treat her like a baby... and she may not like it so much. Stay strong!

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Happy early 1st birthday, Peggy girl!
Welp, now I know what to look forward to since Lacey is following behind Peggy’s footsteps by about 7 weeks of age.
LOL. Poor you!!

But who knows.... Lacey might be easy peasy. They all mature differently. And after I typed that last night, Peggy went to sleep and didn't stir until 10am. So I suspect she's been getting overtired and it's time to enforce naps again.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Haha! That sounds great! Hang in there. I'm sure your snuggle-bug will return. Also, remember to enforce those boundaries! If she's acting like a baby you can always show her that you can still treat her like a baby... and she may not like it so much. Stay strong!
This is excellent advice, as always. She's definitely been getting a ton of freedom lately, and maybe it's time to scale it back a bit.

As for my snuggle-bug....here's what happened as I started typing this response:

She squeezed her way in and now she's draped across my lap, having her morning nap (which she skipped the last few days).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Lacey has always been a force to be reckoned with. When I met her at 5 weeks I could already tell she was over the top compared to her two siblings but I had a hunch she was the one.

I went back with my boyfriend at 6.5 weeks. I got to meet both the mom with the litter as well as the dad separate from the litter. The breeder let us have as much alone time with her as we needed.

I did a volhard test to the best of my ability since my breeder doesn’t do any temperament testing. I’m not a professional and it was in a somewhat familiar space but she scored mostly 2s. Her personality was very hard headed, persistent, and pushy. I figured I’d be in for some tough love and somewhat difficult training but I was ready to take it on, she was the one. Im pretty hard headed and stubborn myself :)

When I told the breeder I wanted Lacey he laughed and asked “are you sure?” half jokingly. I assured him I did. He said “she’s quite the troublemaker, but you’ll have fun with her.”

She tests my patience every day but when training clicks and I get the behavior I want, it is so worth it.

I have had concerns about what her temperament may turn out to be like once she gets to full adulthood. Id be happy if she stayed the way she is, as she’s never shown any true aggression.

I will say, I’ve been lulled into a sense of security that lately she’s moved forward more steps than backward. If she ever starts forgoing her naps, into the crate she goes! I still do short periods of time outs in her ex pen/crate area every day

@PeggyTheParti that picture melts my heart. It must feel so nice to wrap your arm around a standard poodle for a hug.

·
Super Moderator
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I will say, I’ve been lulled into a sense of security that lately she’s moved forward more steps than backward.
I think this is exactly why adolescence can feel so unexpectedly hard sometimes. Even when you know better, it can still feel like training and development should be linear. So you do what I do, granting more and more freedoms, only to realize you've set your dog up to fail.

I think about Peggy's first Christmas. I was sooo careful, and yet she still blew me away with her self-control around all the decorations—so much so that it almost feels like my efforts were overkill. It would be extremely tempting to take fewer precautions with her second Christmas, but that's when you end up with a situation like I had with Gracie: Her second Christmas, she tore open ALL THE PRESENTS while I was out to dinner. 😂

It must feel so nice to wrap your arm around a standard poodle for a hug.
It's really indescribable. I loved Gracie's little loaf body, and Peggy's super-model limbs still sometimes feel foreign to me. But some sort of poodle magic takes place when she cuddles in close. It never gets old.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I can practically feel the magic from your pic!

I wonder if there’s any difference between the size of the dog and when owners start giving more freedom. I know that smaller dogs are supposed to mature faster than bigger dogs. Say you had Peggy at 25 years old. Do you think there would be a difference between when she started to get more freedom compared to Gracie?

Oh my god, I can imagine Gracie going from tentatively pulling off one strip of wrapping paper to just going ham and a flurry of paper and bows flying.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts