Poodle Forum banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
This is very helpful! I read up heavily on clicker training before we got her, so that is what i did with her exclusively for the early months of training, and the puppy classes we took were clicker classes. It worked for us to solidify pretty much everything...other than a solid recall!

One thing i've been working on successfully is taking her out in our fenced yard on a long-line and playing ping-pong. I toss a really good treat (usually turkey, which she can see easily on the ground), and she runs to get it, then i call her and she runs back, and i toss more turkey in a another direction. I think she likes it b/c there's some variety, she gets to run, etc. I also intersperse grabbing her collar and saying "gotcha" and feeding her the turkey. She doesn't try to get away, so that's good. If one of her pals is outside in the yard next door, they'll run together on opposite sides of the fence, so then i'll call her (still on longline), while she's playing, and she'll come and get her treat, then i'll tell her to go back and play with her friend. So she runs back and forth between me and the dog.

I have tried this a few times when she's having a playdate in our yard, and it just depends how caught up she is. What always works, though, is if i call the other dog over for a treat! When she sees that, she'll follow. The other dog is invariably more food-motivated than she is... (If she doesn't want to do something, she will totally turn away from a treat unless it's the absolute best thing ever. Sometimes it's hard to have the favorite thing on hand at the right moment!)
I like the idea of trying to reintroduce the clicker at a distance. She will definitely recognize it if i go back to it; i may try it in the house first and see what happens.

One thing you might try now that you have good everyday recall is a special "emergency" recall that is different from the regular one. We had one that was working really well for a while, and then it just stopped working and i had to come up with a new word. The difference is when we did the "emergency" one, and she came quickly, i'd give her high value treats and effusive praise for a full 30 seconds. The trainer called it "fine dining," lol. We practiced it 3x/day to get it to work. and it worked! When i'd say the magic word, she'd come running. Then, she became a full-fledged teen and she'd glance at me and go on texting her friends like I was invisible...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
One thing you might try now that you have good everyday recall is a special "emergency" recall that is different from the regular one. We had one that was working really well for a while, and then it just stopped working and i had to come up with a new word. The difference is when we did the "emergency" one, and she came quickly, i'd give her high value treats and effusive praise for a full 30 seconds. The trainer called it "fine dining," lol. We practiced it 3x/day to get it to work. and it worked! When i'd say the magic word, she'd come running. Then, she became a full-fledged teen and she'd glance at me and go on texting her friends like I was invisible...
That's a good idea. I made the mistake of using that magical "Here" command this morning when she had a dirty sock, and I watched the gears turn....turn......turnnnn.....until her brain settled on NOPE.

What was I thinking using it for that?? Clearly I got cocky. 😞

Oddly enough, what ended up working was a boring old sit command. But not before she shredded the thing (which is a first).

I wonder if others under stay-at-home orders are seeing an uptick in obnoxious teen behaviour?

Today Peggy also chewed my lip balm. Another first. She's smelled and turned her nose up at that thing a hundred times! And she's never been a destructive chewer ever.

I suspect 10-months-old is going to be a bumpy one.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts