Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 250 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
dogsavvy, you're so right! Rather than fighting natural behaviours, it's really helpful to give them an outlet. That's why Peggy's x-pen looks like a garbage dump some days. Shredding, snuffling, chewing, digging, burying....she does it all in there.

And then it's outside for the zoomies! She tucks her tail and GOES.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Last time Misha was at the vet he peed on the reception counter and I was mortified.
Ha! That's a pretty good one! I'm sure Peggy will find a way to mortify me one of these days.

My last little dog Gracie accomplished that quite efficiently by *humping* my brand new teensy tiny baby niece while everyone was gathered round, cooing and oohing and ahhing.

My role as the kinda weird aunt was made official that day

·
Registered
850 Posts
Can I join this support group? At almost 12 months, Annie finds new ways to be a problem child faster than I can find ways to solve problems. And i am so glad to hear other people let their dogs be their shredders too

PeggytheParti - the trainer I went to told me that puppies that were easy before adolescence are the worst in adolescence (and vice versa), so I am hoping for your sake she is right, and for my sake... well, she's been proven right!

Today she decided to try leash reactivity to other dogs (never happened before). I mean, to be fair, it was dark out, they were in a shadow, it's incredibly windy (which turns her into a nut at the best of times) and she sees another dog maybe once a week. So she started barking and bouncing, and pogo poodling backwards as I turned and dragged her the other direction (it's not a nice dog) to try to get her back under threshold. I gave up and turned around - and no wonder she was upset! The *bleep bleep bleep* person and dog were FOLLOWING us, and had turned the corner after us.

I really wish I had more opportunities to let her burn off energy - tonight I put her on a retractable leash and let her dash around an empty parking lot like a
mad fool chasing leaves, but she doesn't get to do that nearly enough.

I envy you guys your x pens, I don't have room, but would really like to have one again!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Oh! and more fun crazy adolescent story!

I took her into a pet store recently she's gone to since she was a puppy, and she went absolutely nuts. Crying and screaming and whining - why? She heard birds, and wanted to eat them. At 4 months, she could walk in this store with perfect manners, sit next to me at a perfect sit while I paid, etc, but at 11 months? She is the loudest, most talkative, complaining dog I have ever had. And the most high pitched, by far.

BUT BIRDS. I wanna eat them. They are over there you are boring go away just let me eat them. I'll sit but I don't wanna sit, and I'mma gonna tell you about it. Nah nah nah, I don't wanna be quiet and YOU CANT make me. Boring!

She did almost the same thing at the other (animal free) store I took her to to fit her for a coat and boots when she got bored and decided we needed to go visit the cashiers, so it's back to basics on being a good dog in public, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
For Want Of Poodle - Peggy's behaved that way around dogs for months! Sometimes she'll manage a calm approach, but if she doesn't get to play with the dog, it's bark-bark-pogo time!

And my husband had a similar nighttime encounter with another dog that pushed Peggy over the edge. It's hard to stay relaxed on walks when there's the chance of that happening, but I know how important it is we remain calm. Not caring what the other owner thinks helps a bit, at least for me.

But it certainly doesn't help that most of the dogs we meet launch immediately into hysterics themselves. She learned quickly, despite our best efforts, that's how one says hello. Sigh.

I'll be honest - if Peggy didn't have opportunities to run full speed in the backyard and at puppy class, it would be much much rougher. So I really feel for you and Annie. They're little athletes and they love to push the limits of their bodies. Any chance you could find some enclosed green space? Have you tried Sniff Spot?

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh! and more fun crazy adolescent story!

I took her into a pet store recently she's gone to since she was a puppy, and she went absolutely nuts. Crying and screaming and whining - why? She heard birds, and wanted to eat them. At 4 months, she could walk in this store with perfect manners, sit next to me at a perfect sit while I paid, etc, but at 11 months? She is the loudest, most talkative, complaining dog I have ever had. And the most high pitched, by far.

BUT BIRDS. I wanna eat them. They are over there you are boring go away just let me eat them. I'll sit but I don't wanna sit, and I'mma gonna tell you about it. Nah nah nah, I don't wanna be quiet and YOU CANT make me. Boring!

She did almost the same thing at the other (animal free) store I took her to to fit her for a coat and boots when she got bored and decided we needed to go visit the cashiers, so it's back to basics on being a good dog in public, I guess.
Ha! Oh my..... It's so embarrassing, isn't it?? Peggy was lovely at Petco today and then a voice came over the loudspeaker. She must've thought it was God calling down from the heavens because she sure talked back. And loudly!!

·
Registered
850 Posts
PeggytheParti - I looked at SniffSpot, it looks like a great idea, but the nearest one is a couple hours away, I'm afraid. We do go to the park or the trainyard with her on a 50 ft long line, but she really would love a fenced yard. I sometimes sit on my front steps with her on a flexi and let her run the yard (it's just the right length she can't make it to the street). There's a dog park, but I don't like the dogs there. She and I are both looking forward to me having christmas break so she can burn off some energy at the park near my mom's.

Yeah - we've done hysterics before when seeing other dogs on leash (and yes, other dogs going nuts certainly don't help with that), but not the angry barking thing before.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't know how folks do it without fenced yards or older dogs to help. LOL I've had a multiple working dog household for so long I'd be lost without their help. We're about to move as we've finally sold our house (yay us!) so we'll no doubt have to put up a new fence but that'll be among the first thing to get done.

I never understood parents being embarrassed by their children in stores until I had a dog throw a temper tantrum in a store. I have handled a lot of this sort of thing in my time from clients' dogs but not from one of my own. The dog totally flipped out over a squeaky toy. A guy picked it up, squeaked it & my dog thought he was hurting some kind of little animal & wanted to EAT the man. To be fair the man had been holding a small dog earlier. My, was my face red. I'm certain there were those who laughed themselves silly. I had the guy toss me the toy & I showed him it wasn't a living thing, even squeaked it. He began to accept that it wasn't an animal being harmed & cooled it. The guy was brave enough to come shake my hand as a stabilization exercise & the dog accepted my commands without breaking but whew! that was awful. I am glad the man was willing to help in this training moment but I would not have faulted him if he'd been like, "no way, lady you & your dog are nutso."

Mr. Layne is a bouncy, bubbly ballet dancer. He's a laugh waiting to happen right now :) He has a tizzy fit when he's not in the mood to work but I've noticed that's getting less & less.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Peggy was EXTRA obsessed with my husband this morning and driving him mad. I tried to explain she's just looking to him for guidance, and his impatience just makes her more pushy, as she desperately tries to communicate. So I intervened and suggested we at least take a look at the dog park, and see if it might be an option today.

And hooray it was!!! She got to play with standard poodles of all ages, and they each offered up valuable lessons: One built her confidence; one humbled her; one joyfully gave her a chance to run like the wind.

I think doggy mentors are really important.

I compare humans raising a puppy to trying to grow a native plant indoors. Outdoors that plant naturally gets all that it needs to thrive; but in the vacuum of your home, you are responsible for everything!! You have to recreate that native environment and it can be exhausting.

Same goes for trying to meet all your dog's needs. Just half an hour with a well-balanced pack of canine friends can teach weeks' worth of lessons.

Here's Peggy staring longingly at my husband this morning:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
(Look at those cute but strange white circles forming around her eyes! I wonder what her adult coat will look like.)

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
We had a real adolescent moment this morning!

Our breakfast routine is rock solid: I wake up and let Peggy out of her crate. We have a good sleepy snuggle. Out for potty and then Peggy waits on her mat in the kitchen while I make her breakfast and my morning coffee. I waggle her bowl under her nose (mmmmm! smell that!) and then I say "IN!" and she races to her indoor exercise pen where she's fed.

Well, this morning she instead raced behind the dining room table. Um. Okay? So I sat down with her food bowl. "No chasing. Nope. Sorry, ma'am."

She raced out from behind the table and did an enthusiastic sit on her bed in front of me.

"In."

She zoomed a lap around the couch and then back on her bed with a flourish.

"In."

Another lap. Another dramatic sit.

"Innn."

The same thing.

I finally plucked a kibble from the bowl, placed it under her nose, and guided her to her pen.

"In."

And it was back to lovely morning poodle, as though nothing had ever happened. In fact, she took it a step further and went into her pen and then into her crate! ? Apology accepted, Peggy.

That's some classic teenage boundary testing, right? I actually found it quite endearing that while she didn't want to follow my command, she still offered up another behaviour she knows I like. And with such gusto! It was hard not to smile or laugh and inadvertently egg her on.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Misha is used to sleeping in his crate at night. Last night he got the bright idea that maybe barking in the middle of the night was the way to go. I dutifully got up and took him out, thinking maybe he had the runs. Nope. Don't like this new idea of his! Two steps forward, one step back.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I am jealous that the food is motivating for her. Even chicken will not motivate Noodle when he is in the mood for a game of chase.
I think it's more that she just gave up lol.

In her puppy classes we could train with one or two different types of treats. Now, in her teen classes, we need a minimum of four, each with a very different smell and texture. Even then, she still sometimes zones out completely, and it's like her ears and nose stop working. That's when it helps if I get in her face a bit, to break the spell she's under.

"Oh yeah hi! I remember you!"

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Misha is used to sleeping in his crate at night. Last night he got the bright idea that maybe barking in the middle of the night was the way to go. I dutifully got up and took him out, thinking maybe he had the runs. Nope. Don't like this new idea of his! Two steps forward, one step back.
Ooooh I am DREADING that one. Our uninterrupted nights are what keep me going during the day. Hoping it was just a one-off from Misha? Fingers crossed!!

I'm probably jinxing us, but Peggy has never had the runs. Oddly enough, that's made me even more paranoid about it happening while she's in the crate. Talk about a sleep ruiner! Unlike a spoo, my last dog fit neatly in the utility sink in our laundry room. A poopy Peggy would be a true ordeal.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Ooooh I am DREADING that one. Our uninterrupted nights are what keep me going during the day. Hoping it was just a one-off from Misha? Fingers crossed!!

I'm probably jinxing us, but Peggy has never had the runs. Oddly enough, that's made me even more paranoid about it happening while she's in the crate. Talk about a sleep ruiner! Unlike a spoo, my last dog fit neatly in the utility sink in our laundry room. A poopy Peggy would be a true ordeal.
Oh man definitely. Yeah I am willing to get up to prevent that! I've never had it in the crate either so far. I think the barking happened last night because I didn't give him as much exercise as I usually do, so he didn't settle down at night. But that is not really an excuse! The trick is to be able to tell when it's code brown and when it's just teenager...

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Oh man definitely. Yeah I am willing to get up to prevent that! I've never had it in the crate either so far. I think it happened last night because I didn't give him as much exercise as I usually do, so he didn't settle down at night. But that is not really an excuse! The trick is to be able to tell when it's code brown and when it's just teenager...
Code brown! Lololol!

My husband did get up once a few weeks ago when he heard a restless poodle shortly before morning. Apparently she looked quite confused when he opened her crate and only reluctantly followed him outside, yawning the whole time. One halfhearted pee and she was back to bed.

I guess dogs, like us, sometimes have nights when they toss and turn.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Lord help me. I'm thinking Peggy might be experiencing a secondary fear period, because all day today she's been barking at every little thing. And not just an alert woof. LOUD sudden barks that nearly give me a heart attack. And she's sticking verrrry close.

Is there just this second fear period? So when it's done it's done for good? Or is it something that comes and goes throughout adolescence?

(Hiding my eyes so I don't see any answers I don't like.)

21 - 40 of 250 Posts