Poodle Forum banner

301 - 311 of 311 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Thanks for the reference. I just finished 'Before and After Getting Your Puppy'.
I'm glad I got the hardcopy because I'll be referring to it often! What book do you recommend next?
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I personally think sticking with one practical puppy raising guide is the best way to avoid confusing yourself or your puppy, but this is a great, more general read about our relationship with dogs: The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs: Patricia B. McConnell: 8601419962846: Amazon.com: Books

She has a wonderful blog, too:

And this will teach you a lot about canine thresholds and how to stay under them for effective training:

Are there any other topics that you’re particularly interested in? Clicker training? Tricks? Grooming?

For online training resources, it doesn’t get much better than the late Dr. Sophia Yin. Her videos are excellent teachers.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
458 Posts
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I personally think sticking with one practical puppy raising guide is the best way to avoid confusing yourself or your puppy, but this is a great, more general read about our relationship with dogs: The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs: Patricia B. McConnell: 8601419962846: Amazon.com: Books

And this will teach you a lot about canine thresholds and how to stay under them for effective training:

Are there any other topics that you’re particularly interested in? Clicker training? Tricks? Grooming?

For online training resources, it doesn’t get much better than the late Dr. Sophia Yin. Her videos are excellent teachers.
Once I get my pup, I'm sure everything will be a bit more challenging than I'm expecting. I'm dead set on doing the training myself, unless I get over my head. I am so looking forward to him being a perfect recall dog as I really want to be able to walk in the woods with him. I'm thinking about training him for hunting birds too, meaning not gun shy. Anyone here train their dog for hunting? As for grooming, I'll do what I need to to keep up (baths, nails, face-maybe), but at least for a while I'll use a groomer. Originally I figured grooming would facilitate bonding, but my breeder says, not so much. Need to find one, with poodle credentials, still.

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Anyone here train their dog for hunting?
This would make a great thread. I’d love to see some field poodles in action.

And this is the book you want for grooming: Poodle Clipping and Grooming: The International Reference: Kalstone, Shirlee: 9781630260279: Amazon.com: Books

I have a used copy, which is a little warped but perfectly readable. Loads of good information in there, even if you only wish to do the basics (which isn’t actually all that basic when it comes to poodles). I do think Peggy has developed a new respect for me since I started grooming her, but it’s also strained our relationship at times. She’s much more suspicious of my intentions when I reach for certain treats or open certain drawers or just get a certain gleam in my eye.

If you’ve got someone nearby who’s gentle and poodle savvy, and willing to go at your puppy’s pace, it’s well worth the cost of monthly appointments to get them accustomed to grooming. I think the reason Peggy’s so tolerant of my clumsy grooming efforts now is that excellent foundation she got from her groomer.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
458 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
I am with you on the perimenopause, PtP - I only realised what was happening because I read an article in Good Housekeeping and realised I ticked nearly every box. The hormonal roller coaster of puberty all over again, plus a few other fun things like night sweats and brain fog, while trying to keep up with a demanding job and family responsibilities. The smooth waters on the other side are lovely, though. It has made me far more sympathetic to adolescents of all species, though. Perhaps that is its evolutionary role in human development, ensuring grandmothers had recent enough experience of hormonal turmoil to be able to cope with adolescent grandchildren when their own parents could not!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
I am with you on the perimenopause, PtP - I only realised what was happening because I read an article in Good Housekeeping and realised I ticked nearly every box. The hormonal roller coaster of puberty all over again, plus a few other fun things like night sweats and brain fog, while trying to keep up with a demanding job and family responsibilities. The smooth waters on the other side are lovely, though. It has made me far more sympathetic to adolescents of all species, though. Perhaps that is its evolutionary role in human development, ensuring grandmothers had recent enough experience of hormonal turmoil to be able to cope with adolescent grandchildren when their own parents could not!
I love that idea, @fjm. No grandchildren for me, but my niece had her first baby last summer. I’ll be full of fresh empathy when he reaches puberty!

·
Registered
310 Posts

I love Patricia McConnell! I found that book incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
We've had a few days of a mature, adult Normie - and omg - poodles rule!

I'm expecting the better behavior to come and go, but right now this little dog is knocking it out of the park. We are wondering how much daily practice for weekly dog class plus a day of puppy enrichment at once-a-week doggy daycare is helping.

For example, Mr. I-Hate-Wet-Feet decided to use the patio as his bathroom on wet days. All I had to do was stand at the top of the stairs and say "Normie, no" and he stopped. When he headed for the sidewalk, I said "No, go in the grass" and he did. I have no idea what words he understood and I don't care. The patio is clean.

Poodles are so clever and quick on the uptake. And so sweet

He'll probably revert back to adolescent boredom in Sunday's class but today is nice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow! Didn't realize there was a support group for adolescents :)

Whiskey decided to ignore all my commands during class last Saturday, and I was wondering if it was the chicken he hated.. I guess it could be adolescence coming. He's the first dog we've had that had any inkling of adolescence, all my other dogs went from cute rolly puppy to calm adult, no obvious teenage stage.

I can only hope cookies (he LOVES cookies) will help him pass his final test this week...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Soooooo glad I found this thread! Adolescence has hit Xhosa late (shes always been a bit of a late bloomer lol). She all of a sudden gets excited to greet people and has started jumpy excited mouthy behavior with me. She was never jumpy or nippy as a puppy (so we skipped the land shark phase) and was always aloof with strangers but LOVES the people she knows. Now she's a total flirt and will "sit pretty" and give paw to people who show her attention! And once people greet her once, she acts like they're her best friend and gets super excited next time she sees them! And she's getting more protective at night and barking at "unfamiliar" things, which is good to see others have similar issues! This thread has brought me so much comfort to know that she is normal! I feel like I'm surrounded by perfect dogs! She's a really good dog, super easy to settle in the house and in public. She just has her moments where I think she's broken and needs to go back to the puppy factory for servicing lol

301 - 311 of 311 Posts