Poodle Forum banner

241 - 250 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Woo hoo! So fun! Hope it goes really well. Be sure to start that thread when you get home. I think it'll be a good one!
We did have fun!!! 😊It was great to be back and Bobby definitely has matured and he did a great job. He worked hard in his poodle way. Typically was done after several repetitions but it was fine. I just accepted that and waited until the next thing. He did everything well, even the friendly greetings, which has been a problem for him because he gets so silly and excited. There is definitely hope as we navigate the teen time. I can really see our hard work and his growing in maturity.
The trainer did use him once but he got a little silly and actually a little unsure and skittish, which did surprise me, but nothing too embarrassing. Actually, most of the dogs she tried using had a bit of hesitation, even the Golden! The Lab was
perfect though! 😂 There was a gorgeous, huge Spoo who wanted nothing to do with being used by the trainer. Maybe they all have to get used to classes again after so many months away from formal group training.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Aw! That just made me want to give Annie a hug. It's hard when people aren't receptive to our dogs. Hurts my feelings on their behalf.

On the other hand, my husband took Peggy to the post office today, and she met multiple people who were thrilled to have her jump on them! Ack. I'm glad she had some happy encounters, but really at a loss as to how to break this habit.

She's almost entirely stopped jumping on us, so I know she's not hopeless. And our trainer got her to stop jumping at our outdoor playdates, but....she was right back to jumping when class resumed.

It's almost like we have to train for every possible scenario, which seems completely unrealistic. Or maybe it's just a matter of exposing her to so many people, the novelty wears off?
I had to teach Annie what "off" meant explicitly. Until then it was just that noise humans make during greeting :) Now that she has learned it and I have told her "off" a lot, and rewarded it with pets, she seems to understand in most situations that "off" is required for greeting.

Annie is funny- she went through most of her adolescence pretty much indifferent to being pet by strangers. She loves the neighbours, friends, and family, but strangers on a walk? Meh. I would tell her "go see!"and she would stand there and you could hear her think "omg, can I get back to walking yet?". Now that we are 6 months into COViD - she wants to greet people again desperately and is all wiggles. Took her downtown a few weeks ago and walked her past a patio to practice ignoring people as distractions, and she gleefully greeted 3 people who called her over.

Poor Annie! I do try to keep my energy very calm when I'm meeting big dogs because I'd really rather not be jumped on and so many young dogs jump. Usually if I'm more subdued they will be too. But big dogs are just the right petting height!
100% agree. I probably pet more large dogs than small, they are easier to pet and usually more receptive to it. I hate when I get one of the squeaky voiced baby talk people, Annie is guaranteed to be an idiot and jump, and they are guaranteed to be startled and afraid of it. Calm people? she is calm and cool, and has a nice petting session.

I am very popular with the dogs at the dog park, because I dont just stand there ignoring them and instead walk around the park and supervise/redirect. If there are more than 3 dogs, I usually am never not petting a dog. I always find it funny when peoples dogs start behaving better for me than their owner, just because I am calm and firm and reward good (non jumping) behavior.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
We did have fun!!! 😊It was great to be back and Bobby definitely has matured and he did a great job. He worked hard in his poodle way. Typically was done after several repetitions but it was fine. I just accepted that and waited until the next thing. He did everything well, even the friendly greetings, which has been a problem for him because he gets so silly and excited. There is definitely hope as we navigate the teen time. I can really see our hard work and his growing in maturity.
The trainer did use him once but he got a little silly and actually a little unsure and skittish, which did surprise me, but nothing too embarrassing. Actually, most of the dogs she tried using had a bit of hesitation, even the Golden! The Lab was
perfect though! 😂 There was a gorgeous, huge Spoo who wanted nothing to do with being used by the trainer. Maybe they all have to get used to classes again after so many months away from formal group training.
What do you do during this time? Do you let him quietly observe or try keeping him working and engaged?

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
I had to teach Annie what "off" meant explicitly. Until then it was just that noise humans make during greeting
Did you teach her to jump up in order to teach her to get down? Because what I really want is to teach her to stay down and not jump in the first place.

A rapid low delivery of treats works great, timed before the first jump ever happens. That is how our trainer got Peggy to stop jumping up at play dates. It took two sessions. But it doesn't translate at all to other locations or circumstances. And I can't exactly get strangers to participate.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Did you teach her to jump up in order to teach her to get down? Because what I really want is to teach her to stay down and not jump in the first place.

A rapid low delivery of treats works great, timed before the first jump ever happens. That is how our trainer got Peggy to stop jumping up at play dates. It took two sessions. But it doesn't translate at all to other locations or circumstances. And I can't exactly get strangers to participate.
I did yeah.... I started with hug (treat), off (treat). Then, I switched to hug (no treat) off (treat), and started giving multiple treats for off in between hug, so she learned to only hug on cue. Now - if I see her thinking of jumping, I tell her off, and she complies before she has a chance to jump. And if I want to reward her, I let her jump up on me on cue (no treats , it's just something she enjoys). It decreased the jumping dramatically when I could clearly communicate what was expected of her. Plus she is SO gentle with jumping now, I barely feel her feet. Not a good thing, but she did jump on my mid 90s grandma who is unsteady on her feet when grandma came in and I was not there, and didnt knock her over which I think was pretty impressive.

You MIGHT be able to teach this with jumping on a wall, off, wall, off but it's a bit more for the dog to generalize.

If you do try this - be careful of what hand signal you chose. My hug signal is thumping my chest with my fist and apparently very close to my sit signal, which is holding my fist out at chest height...

·
Registered
41 Posts
What do you do during this time? Do you let him quietly observe or try keeping him working and engaged?
I have no problem letting him just observe as I figure it’s a good time to practice downstays or sits. He’s pretty calm. If he needs work with something I will do something but chilling is good by me and it’s only for a a few minutes anyway. In my mind, looking at all the action and staying chill is good training as well.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Miss Annie had a great day!

We play a game where she gets to go on a walk until she pulls, then we go home. We went 3 houses further than usual, and I had to trick her into pulling so we could go home because I was running late for a conference call, and even then she barely pulled.

We went to the park - she actually socialized with 2 people even though there were dogs there (this never happens), and did not jump or even consider jumping and I was told how lovely behaved she is. Then we met a friend, and she greeted him and someone else, again, no jumping, no even thinking of it and no pulling, despite lots of wiggling and being in a new place. And she did a nice "settle" and relax at my feet in a strange and noisy place while waiting for the friend to show up. And then we came home and she lay at my feet while I was ambushed by a neighbour who wished to chat, and again, did not jump and accepted petting. Good dog! I am sure she will do something crazy tomorrow, I know better than to expect this level of perfection, but today, she was a very good dog.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
I have no problem letting him just observe as I figure it’s a good time to practice downstays or sits. He’s pretty calm. If he needs work with something I will do something but chilling is good by me and it’s only for a a few minutes anyway. In my mind, looking at all the action and staying chill is good training as well.
I think I need to do more of this. I tend to heed our trainer's calls to "Keep them working!" but I know she'd totally understand if I felt Peggy could benefit more from just some calm observation time.

That's what I want her to do in real-life situations.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Miss Annie had a great day!

We play a game where she gets to go on a walk until she pulls, then we go home. We went 3 houses further than usual, and I had to trick her into pulling so we could go home because I was running late for a conference call, and even then she barely pulled.

We went to the park - she actually socialized with 2 people even though there were dogs there (this never happens), and did not jump or even consider jumping and I was told how lovely behaved she is. Then we met a friend, and she greeted him and someone else, again, no jumping, no even thinking of it and no pulling, despite lots of wiggling and being in a new place. And she did a nice "settle" and relax at my feet in a strange and noisy place while waiting for the friend to show up. And then we came home and she lay at my feet while I was ambushed by a neighbour who wished to chat, and again, did not jump and accepted petting. Good dog! I am sure she will do something crazy tomorrow, I know better than to expect this level of perfection, but today, she was a very good dog.
Wow Annie! Great work!

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
My husband took Peggy to a coffee shop patio today, and he can't stop marvelling at the progress she's made. The biggest difference he saw was that she actually chose to lay down and people-watch.

If we'd both had our way, we'd have given up on patios a lonnnng time ago. Much more relaxing to just leave her at home! But with our trainer's help, we're keeping our eyes on our ultimate goal: A dog that can relax at our feet while the world goes by.

Just a reminder to identify and keep practising whatever's most important to you. :)

241 - 250 of 250 Posts