Poodle Forum banner

201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I'll take her! Not one of those days. I'm sorry. Has her stomach been upset today? I wonder if her stomach being upset and her being highly alert are related.

Sisko has been a bit of a nightmare all month long, (we only had one great day this month) he has been so needy, and clingy, and he hasn't been listening like he should, but I now believe that this is all something medical, because I have been training him like I should, and he is breathing strange(that started last night), something just isn't right.

Does she have any Yakky chews or anything to stuff in her Kong and freeze. I would put her in her X-pen with a Yakky chew or frozen Kong, and take a break from her if you can.
My husband took her out for an "adventure" in the Costco parking lot, and now she's snoozing hard in her crate. It's a delicate balance, ensuring they get enough exercise and mental stimulation, but don't get overtired. Some days I'm better at it than others.

I'm sorry to hear Sisko might be sick. :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll take her! Not one of those days. I'm sorry. Has her stomach been upset today? I wonder if her stomach being upset and her being highly alert are related.

Sisko has been a bit of a nightmare all month long, (we only had one great day this month) he has been so needy, and clingy, and he hasn't been listening like he should, but I now believe that this is all something medical, because I have been training him like I should, and he is breathing strange(that started last night), something just isn't right.

Does she have any Yakky chews or anything to stuff in her Kong and freeze. I would put her in her X-pen with a Yakky chew or frozen Kong, and take a break from her if you can.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My husband took her out for an "adventure" in the Costco parking lot, and now she's snoozing hard in her crate. It's a delicate balance, ensuring they get enough exercise and mental stimulation, but don't get overtired. Some days I'm better at it than others.

I'm sorry to hear Sisko might be sick. :(
I'm happy to hear that she is snoozing now!

Thank you. I was crying earlier because I felt bad for him. He goes to the vet this Thursday. They're letting us going in with him! I was scared that they wouldn't, but I'm happy that they will.
I would do the above and pour myself a drink!

How old is Sisko?
I had poured myself 2 cups of wine last night, but it was in a tiny wine glass.

Sisko is 2 years and 5 months.
I’m sorry Sisko Is not feeling well
Thank you. Sisko goes to the vet this Thursday, and we will be able to go in with him. I was scared that they wouldn't let us go in with him.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm happy to hear that she is snoozing now!

Thank you. I was crying earlier because I felt bad for him. He goes to the vet this Thursday. They're letting us going in with him! I was scared that they wouldn't, but I'm happy that they will.
I had poured myself 2 cups of wine last night, but it was in a tiny wine glass.

Sisko is 2 years and 5 months.
Thank you. Sisko goes to the vet this Thursday, and we will be able to go in with him. I was scared that they wouldn't let us go in with him.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Also.... just started the next set of classes with Annie. OMG was she a teenager tonight. "Hi everyone! Hi new friends! Can we play! That looks like fun! Me play too !!! " (in her highest pitched most annoying barking voice). Squirm squirm squirm. Hi!!!!

And now, I am exhausted from 2 hours of driving and one hour of class, and she's wandering around, barking at noises and sniffing and digging around for trouble, acting like an hour of training class was not enough exercise or brain work and acting like she does when she has had a boring uneventful day. I did 15 min of trick practice, played toys, etc. Nope. Still restless. Gonna have to take her for a tiny pitch black outside walk. Poodles!!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Also.... just started the next set of classes with Annie. OMG was she a teenager tonight. "Hi everyone! Hi new friends! Can we play! That looks like fun! Me play too !!! " (in her highest pitched most annoying barking voice). Squirm squirm squirm. Hi!!!!

And now, I am exhausted from 2 hours of driving and one hour of class, and she's wandering around, barking at noises and sniffing and digging around for trouble, acting like an hour of training class was not enough exercise or brain work and acting like she does when she has had a boring uneventful day. I did 15 min of trick practice, played toys, etc. Nope. Still restless. Gonna have to take her for a tiny pitch black outside walk. Poodles!!!
What a day! I'm sorry.

"Hi everyone! Hi new friends! Can we play! That looks like fun! Me play too !!! " (in her highest pitched most annoying barking voice). Squirm squirm squirm. Hi!!!!
I feel you! Sisko does this everytime he sees someone and they try to talk to me, and all you can do is look like: 😒 and try to get them to calm down.

Has anyone thought about getting a collapsible treadmill? I'm thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
837 Posts
We walked. She declined to come in and is now rooting around on the porch. Gah. Poodles.

Fenris- I know that feeling. I spent most of the class shovelling treats at Annie rewarding calm, while everyone else just kinda... hung out. She broke the clip of the training tab the trainer was using to hold her back and went sprinting to another dog who was working.

PtP - I would LOVE to let Peggy and Annie tire each other out. Except I think what might be happening is we have been spending a lot of the time at the dog park the last few days, so she is now accustomed to an hour of run run play with a friend or two every night. May need to cut it back a bit for my sanity.... They sure are fun to watch though (even if Annie occasionally looks demonically possessed).
20200727_201132.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
PtP - I would LOVE to let Peggy and Annie tire each other out. Except I think what might be happening is we have been spending a lot of the time at the dog park the last few days, so she is now accustomed to an hour of run run play with a friend or two every night. May need to cut it back a bit for my sanity.... They sure are fun to watch though (even if Annie occasionally looks demonically possessed).
Oooooh. I know what that's like! I try to limit any activities that get Peggy's cortisol up, which is hard, because they're so often the ones that should tire her out.

For example, we've not had the frisbees out in a couple of weeks. That's an activity that leaves her wired even as her tongue is hanging out the side of her mouth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is such an encouraging thread!!! Peggy the Parti, thank you for starting this. 😊
Thank you to all who have shared the realities of teenage poodles! We are beginning to come out the other side but we still have a few months left. Just like all of you, I have a nice collection of crazy teenage poodle stories and I’m sure there will be more to add.
I always get a chuckle at Bobby’s training classes because they never use him to demonstrate and why is that? He’s a poodle! He’s very smart! Well, it’s because he’s a silly, exuberant, I wanna play with everyone poodle and I just can’t handle all this attention! Let’s play! Can I have that treat? Let’s run and jump! He’s actually great in his classes, that is, until others give him attention.
They always use the Goldens and I know why. 😂
With that being said, he hasn’t been to a class since February because of Covid and he has grown up a lot since then. I actually can’t wait until classes start again. I am really interested to see how much he really has grown up.
Anyway, reading everyone’s stories was very encouraging and hopeful. I can’t tell you how many times we would get so discouraged but just kept taking it one day at a time. There were days we felt like total failures at dog training.
Amazingly though, those crazy teenage moments are appearing less and less, now. Yup! Bobby is indeed growing up and maturing and maybe, just maybe...he might be used by a trainer to demonstrate in class. 😊
I think there should be a book written about the realities of teenage dogs. Thank you again!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
What a day! I'm sorry.

I feel you! Sisko does this everytime he sees someone and they try to talk to me, and all you can do is look like: 😒 and try to get them to calm down.

Has anyone thought about getting a collapsible treadmill? I'm thinking about getting one.
I hope that Sisko is ok and that there is nothing medical with him. I think he and Renn are very much alike in some of their behaviors. I don't think I will ever trust Renn completely with others. Now he has been doing so well on his walks with my daughter and last night he wasn't. He was sitting nicely and being quiet until a child spoke and said can I pet him. Then he went ballistic barking nasty, my daughter said she was so embarrassed at his behavior and she had never seen that in him before. I'm not quite sure what I am going to do about it right now. When he is in the "red zone" his mind is gone so we have to work on him not getting there. I am thinking at this point he is not going to be a sweet cuddly dog to children or people he doesn't know. I'm disappointed but if the is what I have I will deal with it. I certainly don't want to take a chance of him biting someone. But meanwhile we will continue to work on it. I may train him to a muzzle, I already know he hates it but ..So you see we all have those days. Today is a new one so back to work we go.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Oooooh. I know what that's like! I try to limit any activities that get Peggy's cortisol up, which is hard, because they're so often the ones that should tire her out.

For example, we've not had the frisbees out in a couple of weeks. That's an activity that leaves her wired even as her tongue is hanging out the side of her mouth.
Yup. We already limit it by taking her at the time of day when there is often no one, or only one other dog there instead of at 4 PM, which is when the big group meets and almost all the dogs are there. When there is no one, she gets lots of obedience practice instead of wild running to tire her out. But the wild running makes her so happy, and so tired when we get home. But I may need to reduce it further.

I remind myself a lot that I am training Annie to have more endurance in the things we do frequently, and I would rather she have more endurance in controlled obedience and brain work than crazy running. But it's hard, she absolutely adores her friends at the park who she has known since she was a baby and honestly I enjoy the COVID-safe social interaction with people, too.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Bobby is indeed growing up and maturing and maybe, just maybe...he might be used by a trainer to demonstrate in class. 😊
Careful what you wish for! Lol.

Peggy's trainer used her a few weeks ago to demonstrate how easy it is to train a dog to weave through your legs, using a lure.

Well, what our trainer didn't know is that I've taught Peggy to jump OVER my leg.

So the trainer took one big step, stood still, and attempted the lure. Peggy pulled back a bit, analyzed the situation....and went up and over the trainer's leg in the most dazzlingly awkward flying leap.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Yup. We already limit it by taking her at the time of day when there is often no one, or only one other dog there instead of at 4 PM, which is when the big group meets and almost all the dogs are there. When there is no one, she gets lots of obedience practice instead of wild running to tire her out. But the wild running makes her so happy, and so tired when we get home. But I may need to reduce it further.

I remind myself a lot that I am training Annie to have more endurance in the things we do frequently, and I would rather she have more endurance in controlled obedience and brain work than crazy running. But it's hard, she absolutely adores her friends at the park who she has known since she was a baby and honestly I enjoy the COVID-safe social interaction with people, too.
I agree. Our weekly playdates have been sanity savers. Since Peggy's been sick, we've skipped the last two, and I'm worried we won't be able to get them back on track.

I need to start working on Peggy's obedience in public spaces, too. She goes through her paces easy peasy at home, but I'm usually too flustered when we're out and about. It's hard to ask a dog to calmly focus on you when you're not calm yourself.

Other than the dog park, is there somewhere you go for practising the basics? I suppose I could go to the far edge of a parking lot. We use spaces like that to practise walking, but I never ask for much more than a loose leash and the occasional sit.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
I am thinking at this point he is not going to be a sweet cuddly dog to children
I've accepted this about Peggy. She's just not had the opportunity to be around them in controlled environments, and I made the mistake of letting random children handle her at the waterfront when she was a puppy, when I knew she'd been traumatized by a child while still with the breeder.

One of the kids at the waterfront was holding her gently in her lap when something more exciting came along. She essentially tossed Peggy in the air and ran away squealing. Peggy shut down for 20 minutes after.

I'm at least happy she doesn't growl at the little girl in the house behind us anymore. The little girl would play in the bushes along the fence line, which Peggy found understandably alarming. Now she just stands and stares and hopes someone will pay attention to her. But I can't imagine what she would do if a small human actually appeared in our yard. Maybe she'd surprise me? How will I ever know? I'm not taking the chance with non-family members.

It's hard for me, as little Gracie was so tolerant. Her last Halloween, she was out on the porch, all 12 lbs of her, wiggling and greeting a gang of squealing masked girls. Could cry just thinking about it.

I know we need to accept our dogs for who they are, but who doesn't wish their dog could be trusted in all situations?

201 - 220 of 250 Posts