Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
My toy poodle had some of her puppy teeth extracted in July, because she had two rows, puppy and adult teeth, she was 8 months old when she had the surgery. The doubles were the front and canine teeth. Some of her teeth were falling out naturally which we kept. But I noticed she is missing teeth the ones that come after canine teeth bottom and some at the top. All the front and completely at the back are ok. I am now worried if the vet pulled out her adult teeth too. I questioned them via email about a month ago, asking them which teeth they actually took out. Of course you can’t have a proper appointment with the vet now and even then, so we haven’t seen the report. They say they took the front and canine teeth out but no report, no proof. I have looked at the picture before she had the surgery and the teeth after canines are there. So could it be they made a mistake or were they puppy teeth and her adult ones are coming? I will attach the photo of her teeth how they were...Until what age can the adult teeth grow?
481B55C4-A452-466A-94D0-16A2040F57F9.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
An after photo would help, her adult should all be in now. Your pup's mouth looks like my Lenny's , he had all puppy incisors and three puppy canines extracted at 8 months

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
57D8A86D-9D0B-41DA-93C2-77582C0D4B3A.jpeg
C78EC599-FF02-43E6-B79C-A4C744F059B3.jpeg
32BB8D78-E21A-470E-979B-B1BF5BE6D1F8.jpeg
E778F73F-FAA9-4FFC-98A6-287F0F620C95.jpeg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
DC44FA42-836D-443E-BBD8-2EE106EE1029.jpeg
D2D1BEA4-6917-4006-BB7F-595F142048CD.jpeg
D2B0C16E-444D-4778-B86E-06A21652C606.jpeg

sorry for bad pictures, she hates opening her mouth and having it pulled. She is missing some at the bottom and top too, both sides. Other side she has more teeth.

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
Your vet probably wouldn't have extracted teeth unnecessarily, also the jaw does grow until they are a year old. My boy's mouth is still a bit crowded so no gaps but my girls vary with the spacing on their teeth.
Adult dogs should have 42 teeth but sometimes not all adult teeth grow in, also my vet was tempted to take one of my boy's canines because of crowding but left it instead.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
My boy is a mini but the teeth and placement should be essentially the same whether toy, mini or standard. Puppy tooth count is 28, adult is 42 but as Twyla mentioned they don't all always come in.

This is a diagram of tooth placement

This page has good info and photos of good and not as good placements

Remo's for comparison. His incisors, canines, and premolars (that can be seen here) are all pretty normally placed. I don't know positively that his are all there or perfectly placed but our vet has never suggested otherwise, and has suggested a cleaning :). The premolars look as tho they hardly erupt from the gum. They are very small, especially compared to the canines, and there's far more space between than in human teeth.

there might be a premolar missing in your photo, or it might just be further back. I can't tell for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for your help. I think she is missing about 5 or 6 teeth after counting. Maybe they will grow. I just hope they didn’t accidentally remove them thinking they were puppy teeth too when she had the surgery. And from the photo you sent it is the premolars that are missing.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I'd have to think it's more likely that they just didn't ever come in. In your first photo, you can see that there are two sets of teeth. All the ones that needed to come out would be from the same set.

Did you ever check with the breeder to ask if this has happened with other pups from the litter? This situation is not uncommon in toys. You might ask the vet if there's any value in doing an xray to see if the teeth just didn't finish forming, but if your pup is eating without difficulty, it may not be needed.

I can understand your concern but dogs can manage with no teeth, so this may not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
The crowding in your pups mouth could have caused damage to the adult teeth hence the extraction, as in the retained baby teeth went through the roots of the adult, or preventing them developing normally hence their removal or the adult teeth were never there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, maybe they have not formed. She had teeth there (premolars) before the surgery as you can see on the first picture but I have no idea if they were puppy or adult.
She had doubles only in the front and canines, those were definitely removed. The vet said before the surgery that it doesn’t seem to be causing her any problem, they didn’t really want to remove them but we were scared it will damage her adult teeth.
It’s worth going to see a different vet maybe.
She comes from a well-known breeder, but I didn’t ask him if he had it with the other puppy. She came from a litter of two.
2 weeks after her surgery she lost another 3 teeth, which was strange because I thought they removed all puppy teeth. They said they did. But then later told us they only took out incissors and canines. So not sure what really happened. I should have taken pictures straight after and every week, silly me.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Good point from Twyla. Review the bill from the vet. That should have a description of what they did and contact the vet for the medical chart notes..

·
Registered
536 Posts
I can see on the before picture, that on her lower jaw she has doubles of the incisors and canines. Her adult canines are partially grown in already in that picture. And I can assure you, the adult would not have been taken out. It's extremely difficult to take out a canine tooth that does not have significant damage (or is at least partially dissolved in the case of a baby tooth).
It's harder to see the teeth farther back in the before picture, but I'm pretty sure I see the carnasial (biggest molar) and two premolars in front. Can't tell whether those are baby or adult, but since there are no doubles there, the vet would not have done any extractions.
On your after pictures, she seems to be missing the middle two premolars at least on the one side. The first and sometimes second premolar is quite common to be missing in small breed dogs, but I do see the first premolar I think. I would guess that the way her adult teeth grew in may have damaged the adult premolars, or of course it's possible they were just never there. It's just much more obvious now that her jaw has grown longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts