Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol, I guess this must have happened to other male poodle owners, but many people when they see a poodle they guess is almost always a female.

When some people see at my pup Pompadour they assume is female :eek:hwell: and they are really shocked when I say is a male, some have a hard time to believe it.

Hey only 'cuase a dog is fluffy and has curls, it dosen't makes it a female. :doh:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. While no one ever mistakes Romeo for a female, even when he was in a modified continental, my little white fluffy havanese male who is in full coat and wear a ponytail is always mistaken for a girl. I am so used to it that I don't even correct people anymore. He even on occasion wears pink rubber bends.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I get it all the time too, especially with the little guy groomed like a bichon. It amazes me when people call my biggest male....who I purposely grew a BEARD on, gets called "she".

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know what ya mean too. People always called my deceased lab a he because she was a big girl. They call my male black standard a she because he's in a miami (he does not grow hair on the back of his back legs) and my new female parti a boy because she looks quite large because I've not cut her hair yet!
I just go along most times. Gets old saying well actually it's a he or a she. Even some of my customers who know my new pup is named "pearl" call her boy?
I guess you have to be a real dog person to notice sex. lol

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Haha, Desmond gets called a girl at first, but when they hear me say "sit, boy" or "it's ok buddy" they get the idea. And plus, he looks pretty masculine compared to a lot of poodles. He stands strong and has shortish ears, so I guess he doesn't look too girly.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I imagine my Spoo will be called a she regardless of sex since Dixie (my Catahoula retired service dog) was always called he because her head is square and she has a big chest. Never mind the pink collar, leash, t-shirt and backpack cover where her patches were:doh:

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Chagall gets called "she" even when he's freshly groomed and it's obvious he has a... um...how should I put it?...an "outie"? I mean don't people know anatomy?! lol

I don't mind so much people messing up about his gender, but I get a get big kick out of them confusing his name. He's been called "Senagal," "Shagdog" and get this--"Chaquita"!!

I'm thinking of making him a "calling card" with his name on it, showing it phonetically!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
didn't you know? Poodles/bichons/havanese are all girls, and pitbulls/rotties/dobermanns are all boys. You see, you breed them, and if they come out as a poodle, they're a girl, but if they're born a pittie then they're a boy.

:doh:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
didn't you know? Poodles/bichons/havanese are all girls, and pitbulls/rotties/dobermanns are all boys. You see, you breed them, and if they come out as a poodle, they're a girl, but if they're born a pittie then they're a boy.

Oh wow, FD, I LOL'd for real. :lol:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

:rofl: Love your explanation, FD!!

I do have to admit though that Billy is always regarded as male (you just can't miss that!) and Taffy is always seen as a female. I guess her sweet face and fancy stepping that gives her away. LOL

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
OMG, There are MALE poodles out there?? Serious.

I think FD summed it up best, it was exacty what I was thinking hehe.
I was thinking this exact thought... I thought everyone knew that.

Believe it or not though Saleen is always mistaken for a BOY. I guess because her color and lead are an ice blue and she is a darker color where as Jazz is ... well she could be any color depending on what mood I was in. Anyway her leash/collar are a rose color. I guess it's the pink and blue thing they assume I have one of each sex. I even took to painting Saleen's toenails to match her color and putting bows in each ear and/or one tieing her TK up and she was still a Boy to just about everyone who saw us. :doh:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
One of my nephews always refers to all dogs as 'he' and all cats as 'she'. The only cat of mine he had ever met was Murphy, a big ginger tom cat. There was nothing feminine about him. LOL

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Elphie was only confused as a boy once, ((since I guess green is a boys colour >.<)) so I ditched the green collar and she wears a pink one now
but when I take her out like to work with me, or to my aunts she wears her pearls like any real lady would ^_^

the kids adore her even if one little girl tells me everyday poodles are for women v.v;

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
well the other alternative to poodle=girl pittie=boy is that light coloured dogs (white/cream/apricot) are always girls, and dark ones (black/blue/brown) are always boys. Of course.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ha ha ha Flying :pound:

But you know - maybe neutering contributed also to all that confusion LMAO Without "jewels" it is really hard to identify gender if dog is fluffy and small LOL, and small and fluffy is "cute and sweet" and those attributes are somehow ingrained in the human mind as a "feminine traits" ha ha.

But your observation about the color is VERY interesting *hmmm....

I know that people are almost as protective of their pups as they are of their kids and it is nothing worse than referring to a baby as she if it is he and even worse as he if it is she LMAO - learned it hard way , ha ha . So I always ask what gender is a dog before I even start talking about it with the owner ;).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts