Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Jasper since Saturday 8/8/09. His foster mom said he was house trained. We brought him home and all was well untill Monday. When I arrived home from work Jasper had diarreahed all on my kitchen floor....my Golden Kali assisted in knocking the gate down and so Jasper also pooed squirts all in my living room and upstairs!!! I really thought I was going to freak out!! Now I just don't get his behavior. When he poo's outside I throw a party and give him boiled chicken (he refuses all biscuit type treats). He understands that is where he should poo he gets big rewards for doing so, yet this morning when I went to his kennel he's pooded behind and in his bed...(I put his soft bed from foster mom's house in the kennel)!! What is his problem? He's thankfully never peed in the house....just the poo. This morning his poo was more firm and not the "squirts" it was before so I think he's getting better. I just don't get it.....am I doing something wrong? My Golden has pooed in her kennel and upstairs once. I need some help. Any advice would be great!!

FYI he never ate the dog kibble I provided him. He totally refused it. When he broke with diarreah I gave him a small amt of cottage cheese w/ Karo syrup since he's not eaten in over 24 hours. I've giving him oatmeal with chicken or beef and he's done just fine with that.

Thanks!!
alycia :frog:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
This dog has diarrhea. He is physically incapable of holding his poop as evidenced by the fact that he had pooped in his own kennel.

He probably has diarrhea because his diet is too rich. Cottage Cheese with Karo syrup????? Yikes! I'd have diarrhea. Was he eating the kibble in his foster home without problem and maintaining a firm stool?

I think it is time to get back to some healthier, more regular eating. He is not going to eat kibble if he knows you are going to provide chicken/beef/oatmeal instead? These things are tasty, but they lack complete nutrition for a dog.

I would put down kibble mixed with a LITTLE bit of chicken or beef (or that Natural Balance tube o'food stuff). You can put in some canned pumpkin to help firm up the stool. Feed him twice a day. In the morning after 15 minutes, pick up his food. What he didn't eat he doesn't get. Leave water out all day. In the evening, put new food out for 15 minutes then pick it up. He will not starve to death and he will soon learn that he needs to eat what he is fed during meal time.

I would stop feeding treats at potty time. Just give him lots of praise.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Well, he could be adjusting to his new home and to a new diet which often gives them this problem. Another issue is that he could have worms. Since it has been a few days, it would be a good idea to take him to the vet for a checkup and test his poo. It would be a shame to be correcting him when he has a health issue he can't fix.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Id have to agree with cbrand. No more tasty treats and get him back on kibble. The canned pumkin will help alot with loose stools and get him firmed up. I add a little yogurt in with my mixture just to get some probiotics in the belly. When they have diarrhea like that, they will do it where ever it needs to be done. Even a well potty trained dog will have a mess all over the house if they have a bad case of diarrhea. Ive had it personally happen to me with two different dogs. Yuck for sure!!!

I know him not eating will concern you (when you give the kibble), but they will come around and eat food when they really get hungry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He probably has diarrhea because his diet is too rich. Cottage Cheese with Karo syrup????? Yikes! I'd have diarrhea. Was he eating the kibble in his foster home without problem and maintaining a firm stool?
what he is fed during meal time.

QUOTE]

I'd given him cottage cheese and Karo syrup since I've always given my dogs cottage cheese if they're having some sort of digestive problem. Second the Karo syrup is because I read that Toys can have low blood sugar when they don't eat and since I knew for a fact he'd not eaten Sunday or Monday I thought his blood sugar might be low.

He was eating a small amt of kibble in foster care but she said he only wanted to eat canned food. She was feeing him something like Science Diet .I don't feed canned food daily or even weekly. I feed my Golden, Vet Formulated Chicken and Rice.

Our local chaper of Poodle club told me to feed him the oatmeal and chicken till his poo returns to normal......I'm just very confused. I only want to help him get better.

So your saying I should put down his kibble and if he eats it fine and if he goes two days without eating fine too?

I've never owned a toy breed and so I was really not sure it they're subject to the same thinking as bigger dogs....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not correcting him since I was not sure that he could hold it or not. Especially on Monday I knew he could not hold it so I just put him outside while I cleaned it up.

alyica :frog:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'd given him cottage cheese and Karo syrup since I've always given my dogs cottage cheese if they're having some sort of digestive problem. Second the Karo syrup is because I read that Toys can have low blood sugar when they don't eat and since I knew for a fact he'd not eaten Sunday or Monday I thought his blood sugar might be low.

He was eating a small amt of kibble in foster care but she said he only wanted to eat canned food. She was feeing him something like Science Diet .I don't feed canned food daily or even weekly. I feed my Golden, Vet Formulated Chicken and Rice.

Our local chaper of Poodle club told me to feed him the oatmeal and chicken till his poo returns to normal......I'm just very confused. I only want to help him get better.

So your saying I should put down his kibble and if he eats it fine and if he goes two days without eating fine too?

I've never owned a toy breed and so I was really not sure it they're subject to the same thinking as bigger dogs....

So many issues here...

Too much dairy is notorious for giving dogs gas and diarrhea. As Secreto said, a little yogurt will help put some good probiotics back in his stomach. No more cottage cheese unless it is a little mixed in with food.

Karo syrup... it is the micro toys that have trouble with blood sugar. That is why it is bad to breed for those so called tiny tea cups. How big is this boy (weight/height at shoulder)? I would not feed any more Karo. If nothing else, it is bad for his teeth. We have a small poodle mix we got from the Humane Society. He is probably 6-7lbs and he has NEVER had problems with blood sugar.

Canned food, huh. Sigh. People baby their Toys and ruin them. This guy was probably not started with good eating habits so it is now your turn to teach him. Canned food is easy to eat so dogs prefer it over dry. I can't stand it, though. I think it makes dogs smell bad and it is really bad for their teeth to eat only canned food.

You should get a small sized kibble for Jasper so that it is easier to eat. Mix in some diced meat, pumpkin and perhaps a bit of yogurt and once in a while a little bit of cottage cheese. Look into getting some of that Tube o' Food too. It is a complete food that can be fed (though I think it is too salty to feed by itself) and it is a great training tool. Pretty soon, he will get the idea that he needs to eat what is offered him. Practice tough love.

When dogs get upset stomachs and it is not a bad idea to rest their systems just like you do with children. I don't think it will hurt this dog to let him go a couple of days without food if that is what makes him feel better. Again, though, I'd like to know how big he is.

A final note. I have seen a lot of poodles who don't seem to tolerate grains very well. You might consider getting one of the grain free kibbles.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've had poo problems too-but it wasn't the same case, my toys was eating a brand that made them poo a lot more- so I switched dog food. That could be the problem?

Hope he gets to feeling better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If he was a rescue I would have him tested for coccidia and giardia. They run high in rescues. My sister rescued two dogs at different times and both had it. It also could have been from changing homes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Improvement??

Last night ,after our walk, Jasper got kibble with a tiny amount of the oatmeal & boiled chicken mixed in. He was not too thrilled but he did eat some of it. We cuddled and watch TV then I took him out to potty. He did nothing...I stood outside for an hour untill I was getting eaten alive by bugs. He finally layed down next to me and went to sleep in the grass LOL! Unfortunately this morning I awoke to poo in the kennel. We've made slight improvement since they were almost solid poos !! When I cleaned the kennel I took the poo (with Jasper leashed to me) and put it outside in the grass. When he sniffed it I praised him and said "potty". He did not poo on our morning walk so once I got home I took him out again...still not poo. SO I reduced the size of his kennel again. (he was in an XL LARGE kennel) now he has a spot about the size of a pet taxi. I'm going to just go under the though that he is not poo trained and I guess start from scratch. Last night I kept him on a leash with me in the house. He's still yet to poop outside but it not from a lack of opportunity.

I could not find my measuring tape but at his vet check last Sat he was 10 pounds.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Sounds like you are making progress and taking really good care of this little guy. At 10lbs, you won't have problems with low blood sugar unless he has been diagnosed with a problem. I'm not a doctor. Toys, if they have blood sugar issues, is usually only when they are a few weeks old.

I have a feeling he will be regular and figure things out before too long. You're doing a great job!

·
Registered
67 Posts
If he was a rescue I would have him tested for coccidia and giardia. They run high in rescues. My sister rescued two dogs at different times and both had it. It also could have been from changing homes.
I have had experience with a puppy and giardia! It is not fun!!! If I was you, I would take a stool sample into the vet just to make sure. Also, the vet can give you packets of "good bacteria" to mix in his food. This will help to stablize his digestive system. But most importantly, I would have his stool analysized.

p

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think you are doing all the right things. You had him in too big of a kennel and you fixed that. For reference, a kennel should be big enough to stand up, turn around and lay down comfortably but no larger.

You are keeping him on a leash so that you can supervise him at all times. Tethering also helps with the bonding process.

Are you feeding him early in the evening? I would feed him no later than 6:00p.m.

I bet you get this sorted out very soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had a good weekend!! Jasper has decided that plain kibble will not kill him and so he's eating small amounts. He's had a clean kennel since I reduced the size. I kept Jasper tethered to a family member almost all weekend. He did not have any accidents in the house. I set his feeding at 5:00 pm. That way he can have time to digest and then poo before bed around 10:30pm. So far this is working out pretty good. Now he just needs to learn to eat his food when I put it down. He wants to take a bite and then 20 min later eat some more....I'm going to try the 15 min then pick up his bowl. I just think if I let him "graze" all day then his poos will be hard to plan for...

Thanks for all the advice!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Medi-Cal Gastro Formula

I've had puppies with diahrea and did the recipes of chicken and rice or beef and rice. Add a bit of this and a bit of that....

I bought Medi-Cal Gastro Formula at my vet and no more juggling with food. They usually start to improve the very first day and once it's decent poop I reintroduce their regular food. It is sooooooo much simpler to go that way I'm sold.

It's for adult or puppies and you can freeze that food too. I always have some in my freezer.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
We had a good weekend!! Jasper has decided that plain kibble will not kill him and so he's eating small amounts. He's had a clean kennel since I reduced the size. I kept Jasper tethered to a family member almost all weekend. He did not have any accidents in the house. I set his feeding at 5:00 pm. That way he can have time to digest and then poo before bed around 10:30pm. So far this is working out pretty good. Now he just needs to learn to eat his food when I put it down. He wants to take a bite and then 20 min later eat some more....I'm going to try the 15 min then pick up his bowl. I just think if I let him "graze" all day then his poos will be hard to plan for...
You rock! You are a great dog owner!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts