Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there I am desperate for help, my 6 month old mini has a thing for turds! He has done it since he came home and I hoped it was a puppy clean up thing so I said no, gave him something less icky to chew and always pick up after him asap. But if I miss one, only the dry crunchy ones, man, he is on to it! He is still doing it! He is fed Royal canin but I am thinking of changing to Innova, he had always got access to fresh chew things, pigs ears, rawhide, toys. He is fedtwice daily and I leave his bowl so he can get to it if he is not done! I givehim chicken wings and lamb flaps for vaiety once or so a week and am wondering if maybe he just wants some meat not just dry food! Help! how do we stop it, it is really freaking my hubby out, the guy still struggles with crap and we have three kids and two dogs so it's an issue! Oh and what am I doing wrong? I read Fennel and she said do what i was doing so now what!
We love him but seriously I am not so keen on puppy kisses with poo breath!:scared:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yes it becomes very nasty. My 2 small dogs did this for months. I got with my vet on it - but I first had to address a couple areas. My daughter is home during the day so if the dogs pooed she wasn't cleaning it up fast, and to be honest if I was in a hurry I might leave it so when you leave them out there they went. When I discovered this they were literaly pooing and turning around to eat it, they would try to gobble it up before I got to them.

Honestly it was a horrible thing to deal with because they both get the burbs.......nasty. I think your changing food is a good idea. My vet recommended sprinkling a light dusting of meat tenderizer on their food for about a week and so we did, AND we made sure all the poop was up no matter what. So we are free of poo eating:) Many say that it can be attributed to diet and lack of nutrients but going with a better quality food does help, good luck!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I was having a problem with this a few weeks ago, but it was mostly cat turds he was eating (as far as I know--don't want to think about it too much). I started monitoring the litter box and spraying Bitter Apple on the turds*. When I see him looking toward the closet where the litter box is kept, I make a loud EHHHN!! sound and he walks away. I haven't seen him actually eat anything in a while. Thank God.

So, all of that was to offer solidarity--it's disgusting, for sure.

*to clarify, I have a LitterMaid, so the poop is only visible for about 10 minutes. He (so far) has not figured out how to open the receptacle box.

Here's a bumper sticker I designed for the occasion - LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
It is hard to imagine anything could be more disgusting than this, but apparently to dogs, adding crushed pineapple to their food will make the poop totally offensive to them. I haven`t tried it, but was told by my Whippet girls breeder it works like a charm. Good luck!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have never had this problem, but know of other who have. You can get a powder from the Vet...it comes in an evelope and you sprinkle it on their food and it makes there stools taste ofensive!!! Good luck, this is a tough habit to break!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Dianne had this problem with all of her spoos until a couple of weeks ago. She bought something that you add to their food and within days they wouldn't touch it because it was unpalatable. Hopefully she will see this thread and respond with the product she uses.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have here a bottle of Excel Deter Coprophagia Treatment, which I didn't actually need, so I gave some to my neighbor downstairs for his Maltese poo-eater.

The main ingredient is monosodium glutamate (MSG - aka meat tenderizer/flavor enhancer).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all so much, I will call the vet in the morning and try to find the magic powder. I hope its here in Australia! I rang my breeder this morning and she said she had never had any experienceof it but to try clean up immediatly (which I do whenever I am home) then leave a couple of crunchy ones that he goe for but, sprinkle tobasco on them! I did that and the spicy turds are still where I left them, i also sprinkled it on the poo I was burying! I just hope he does not like it hot! I think it will help but boy! I will try everything all at once if need be! His food is supposed to be top notch! I might investigate Royal Canin versu Innova some more and see if I should switch from RC to Innova. Thanks all so much, any more advice I am happy to take it all! Oh and thanks Marian for the bumper sticker, it is his bumper that is causing the trouble after all!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You may have to try more than one method to figure out what works for you.

I have a friend with a poo eating greyhound that is just out of control. She even had a poop guard and would be muzzled with out when she was outside to do her business. She got wise to that with a quickness and would hold it until they left the house, then eat it inside.

They tried crushed pineapple, Adolf's Meat Tenderizer (which is supposed to be the best), FORBID and the muzzle. Now they are trying Coproban and it is working so far. Unfortunately for them, they have 3 other dogs that have to eat this preventative too. We'll see how long that lasts.

This is the stuff they are using for her:
http://www.prnpharmacal.com/coproban/index.php

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I have heard that spinach is supposed to work ? I just know that if I sprinkled any of the aforementioned on ANY of my dogs food they would NEVER eat HA HA. I have also heard of the MSG method. Good luck to you and do let us know what DID work..

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
It can take a few things to get it right, I did all listed and the MT worked as it has the MSG in it BUT honestly I think the key is not aloowing the poop to lay and they will eventually move from it. None of the poodles do this.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I had a setter female that did this and My mothers Boston Terriers were the worst. They were disgusting.. And nothing but keeping it really picked up as you say worked...
I like the muzzle idea..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello there I am desperate for help, my 6 month old mini has a thing for turds! He has done it since he came home and I hoped it was a puppy clean up thing so I said no, gave him something less icky to chew and always pick up after him asap. But if I miss one, only the dry crunchy ones, man, he is on to it! He is still doing it! He is fed Royal canin but I am thinking of changing to Innova, he had always got access to fresh chew things, pigs ears, rawhide, toys. He is fedtwice daily and I leave his bowl so he can get to it if he is not done! I givehim chicken wings and lamb flaps for vaiety once or so a week and am wondering if maybe he just wants some meat not just dry food! Help! how do we stop it, it is really freaking my hubby out, the guy still struggles with crap and we have three kids and two dogs so it's an issue! Oh and what am I doing wrong? I read Fennel and she said do what i was doing so now what!
We love him but seriously I am not so keen on puppy kisses with poo breath!:scared:
I think I read another thread on here about another pup having the same problem, and they were feeding him Royal Canin, also. I also had the problem when I was feeding my mini Royal Canin, too! So that could potentially be the issue. Since then, I have switched over to Wellness, and there has been no poo-eating problems. But then again my pup got a little older, matured, and housebroken, so he doesn't even see his poo anymore while we're away from home :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I had a setter female that did this and My mothers Boston Terriers were the worst. They were disgusting.. And nothing but keeping it really picked up as you say worked...
I like the muzzle idea..
The dog I know with the poomuzzle got really mad and smeared her face and neck and muzzle in the poo.
Just warning you!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I think I read another thread on here about another pup having the same problem, and they were feeding him Royal Canin, also. I also had the problem when I was feeding my mini Royal Canin, too! So that could potentially be the issue. Since then, I have switched over to Wellness, and there has been no poo-eating problems. But then again my pup got a little older, matured, and housebroken, so he doesn't even see his poo anymore while we're away from home :rolffleyes:
Maybe Royal Canin tastes like sh!t!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Maybe Royal Canin tastes like sh!t!! :lol:
OMG TOO FUNNY !! That is horrible about the muzzle thing OMG .. If you read up on this disorder it is perfectly natural .. Animals in the wild do it all the time HA !!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
OMG TOO FUNNY !! That is horrible about the muzzle thing OMG .. If you read up on this disorder it is perfectly natural .. Animals in the wild do it all the time HA !!!
I dogsit for this person on occasion, and let me tell you...after cleaning up poop vomit, I don't care how natural it is.
GROSSEST THING EVER! :vollkommenauf:

I called my husband crying while I cleaned it up!
Poor guy offered to come help, but I was already done.

I honestly think this is why he doesn't want me to get another greyhound. :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
My Moms Boston Puked it all over my BRAND New washer in the gasket of the door I was heaving and crying.. I agree !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts