• Parti

• Sable

• One-off café au lait

• One-off silver beige

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
He is definitely interesting looking! Since he doesn't have the typical lighter face that the silver beige would have maybe the breeder is right and it is some kind of sable? I hope you're taking lots of photos to document how he changes!

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
426 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing some sausage puppy photos, from what I've seen sable is usually pretty obvious when you compare the infant photos to even the next week's photos. I pulled Evelyn's puppy photos off the breeder's website after I got him and he was clearing on a week by week basis. I know some sables take longer to clear and less drastically, especially if they start out basically black.

This is him as a sausage:
Dog Carnivore Fawn Liver Dog breed

This is after the first shave:
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Mammal Companion dog

And this is him the day I picked him up at 4mos:
Dog Dog breed Water dog Carnivore Collar

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing some sausage puppy photos, from what I've seen sable is usually pretty obvious when you compare the infant photos to even the next week's photos. I pulled Evelyn's puppy photos off the breeder's website after I got him and he was clearing on a week by week basis. I know some sables take longer to clear and less drastically, especially if they start out basically black.

View attachment 484526

View attachment 484527

View attachment 484528
Wow, what a dramatic change in such a short time!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

View attachment 484526

View attachment 484527

View attachment 484528
Oh wow! Your pup really is a unique one!! So interesting to watch.

yeah I think the breeders are right and he is a café. Reasoning is that upon a quick google search, there’s SO many different shades of Café (that probably clear at different rates).
Have you done genetic testing before? Curious as to how long it takes?

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
426 Posts
Yeah sable is definitely a fun little waiting game. I wanted a pup that would keep it's color for the next one, but when I referred to Ranna as brown and white his breeder didn't correct me. Didn't find out until I got his papers in the mail that he's sable and white. It's beyond obvious now that I'm destined to ride the sable express again and all the lovely brown will likely be gone by summer.

Evelyn's color markers don't really interest me since he won't be making any puppies and isn't show quality in any respect. I've considered doing the health testing because his history is kind of complicated. I don't think she deceived me about his mom passing genetic health, but because he was an oops conceived before she even got the dam I'm not sure how much she would know about his dad. She did let me know mom had mild hip dysplasia, but they tested her underage and after she dropped his huge litter so I don't know if that effected the results.

I give a lot of caveats just in case anyone ever figures out his breeder, because he's not representative of how she runs her program. There was a lot going on. She was lovely in all respects to me and he came to me with impeccable manners.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
From what I have read about cafe (and the black equivalent, blue) clearing, it would be very, very early to be seeing the differences in color already. I still believe he is a silver beige (also come in an array of shades).

I did Diego’s Embark early this year. They received the sample on 1/25 and had the results on 2/9.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
From what I have read about cafe (and the black equivalent, blue) clearing, it would be very, very early to be seeing the differences in color already. I still believe he is a silver beige (also come in an array of shades).

I did Diego’s Embark early this year. They received the sample on 1/25 and had the results on 2/9.
After he gets groomed, this forum will be even more split haha
I wish I could see your embark test results to see what the color/coat genealogy looks like. We’re still not sure if we want to do embark for $160 or if we want to just test his A locus and K locus individually with pawprint for $100.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
After he gets groomed, this forum will be even more split haha
I wish I could see your embark test results to see what the color/coat genealogy looks like. We’re still not sure if we want to do embark for $160 or if we want to just test his A locus and K locus individually with pawprint for $100.
I would show you, but I just did the breed testing because he’s a pound puppy.

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria (10/6/2014) Mr. Leonard Pink (8/7/2017) Walter Grey (9/28/2010(
7,772 Posts
I still say silver beige clearing with a faux phantom pattern, far too light to be cafe at his age, my cafe girl Bea started clearing much later than your pup a little was obvious at 11 months, my Baby was a super light silver beige was super light at 5 months except her ears

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok, my long $.02.
Solid colors:
Apricot
Black
Blue
Brown
Cafe Au lait
Cream
Gray
Red
Silver
Silver beige

Brown - A brown Poodle is a deep, dark color and in no way can be confused with Cafe Au lait which is much lighter. Pure brown Poodles must have liver points and dark amber eyes. Brown is created by the bb gene, as opposed to the BB gene of black Poodles, and therefore will have no black pigment anywhere on the body, including the eyes and nose.

Cafe Au lait - This is a shiny light tan color and some confused this with silver beige. It is not uncommon for the pup to be born brown and 'clear' to this color . A Cafe Au lait should have liver points and dark amber eyes.
Cafe Au lait Poodles are born dark brown and change to cafe around the age of 2 yrs

When it comes down to it in the end: 🤣😂🤣
Lattes have more milk and a little bit of foam and may be made with a wide range of flavors. Café au laits are typically served straight, though the American version adds chicory. 🤣😂🤣

21 - 31 of 31 Posts