• Sable

• One-off café au lait

• One-off silver beige

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we’re still unsure about his color, (maybe we’ll never really be sure!). we’ve already asked on this forum before but upon taking him to the Vet we are back to square 1. We know there’s already a ton of people asking about the color of their puppy in the forum, so we thought maybe doing a poll would be different and fun.
I also attached a picture of his silver silver mom and his bright Café au lait dad
Oh and happy turkey day!

Edit: forgot to mention, the latest picture is the last picture (taken a few days ago). He’s 4 months old now.

Dog Door mat Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore

Dog breed Water dog Dog Companion dog Road surface

Vertebrate Dog Mammal Dog breed Road surface
Vertebrate Dog Dog breed Carnivore Mammal
Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal

Toy Flooring Road surface Companion dog Tail

Cabinetry Dog Dog breed Wood Felidae

Furniture Comfort Armrest Floor Rectangle

Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Toy Welsh terrier

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria (10/6/2014) Mr. Leonard Pink (8/7/2017) Walter Grey (9/28/2010(
7,784 Posts
Still silver beige clearing with a faux phantom pattern

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
Don't use Family Affair as an example, they do not know what a silver beige poodle is

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
Nope, this breeder mixes poodle with other breeds so no

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal Trunk

These are silver beige puppies from Silvabirch poodles, I would love ❤ 😍 💖 to have one of her pups

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
Not sure, probably 12 + weeks

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver

My cafe girl Bea at 6 months

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

My silver beige girl Baby, looking for her puppy pictures they are actual photos versus digital

·
Registered
552 Posts
Cute!! I think silver beige too, but definitely also has phantom markings. I wonder if the phantom pattern will stay visible or if he will lighten all over so much that you can't see them any more. Or if the rest of him will lighten more than the phantom markings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cute!! I think silver beige too, but definitely also has phantom markings. I wonder if the phantom pattern will stay visible or if he will lighten all over so much that you can't see them any more. Or if the rest of him will lighten more than the phantom markings.
For this reason we are going to do genetic testing. 2 breeders have told me they suspect Café but told me to test his K-locus and A-Locus to be sure. I’ll let you know! I wanted to show (conformation) him so if he’s sable, phantom or Agouti we might not get the chance at a title (at least with AKC)

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
437 Posts
For this reason we are going to do genetic testing. 2 breeders have told me they suspect Café but told me to test his K-locus and A-Locus to be sure. I’ll let you know! I wanted to show (conformation) him so if he’s sable, phantom or Agouti we might not get the chance at a title (at least with AKC)
I don't think he's phantom as the light patches appear outside the phantom pattern areas, but I don't think he's a solid color either. From what I've seen while poodles don't necessarily clear at the same rate on all parts of the body the contrast isn't usually that stark on the body after being shaved to a uniform length if the pup is going to clear to a single color. It's certainly possible that he'll end up two very similar colors that would be indistinguishable at a glance, but I would be surprised if a judge didn't notice.

Evelyn is sable and his breeder called him phantom sable, but at this point his lack of a consistent phantom pattern is very obvious (which I'm happy about as I deeply dislike that pattern and might have walked away if I had thought for a single second she was right). At a glance his grey ears, tail stripes, and guard hairs are the most obvious difference in color, but if you look closely at his face and body you can also see he's three different shades of cream. He may clear further over time, but I'm not holding out the same hope as I once did that he'll look more uniform. To be clear, I don't think your boy is sable just a comment on my experience with a clearing sable.

I'm certainly not an expert though and I hope for your sake that I'm wrong since you're interested in showing him, though he's beautiful either way and I'm sure you'll love him just the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think he's phantom as the light patches appear outside the phantom pattern areas, but I don't think he's a solid color either. From what I've seen while poodles don't necessarily clear at the same rate on all parts of the body the contrast isn't usually that stark on the body after being shaved to a uniform length if the pup is going to clear to a single color. It's certainly possible that he'll end up two very similar colors that would be indistinguishable at a glance, but I would be surprised if a judge didn't notice.

Evelyn is sable and his breeder called him phantom sable, but at this point his lack of a consistent phantom pattern is very obvious (which I'm happy about as I deeply dislike that pattern and might have walked away if I had thought for a single second she was right). At a glance his grey ears, tail stripes, and guard hairs are the most obvious difference in color, but if you look closely at his face and body you can also see he's three different shades of cream. He may clear further over time, but I'm not holding out the same hope as I once did that he'll look more uniform. To be clear, I don't think your boy is sable just a comment on my experience with a clearing sable.

I'm certainly not an expert though and I hope for your sake that I'm wrong since you're interested in showing him, though he's beautiful either way and I'm sure you'll love him just the same.
Oh yeah we love our goofball to death regardless of color.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts