Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poodle puppy is 15 weeks old & almost ALL the puppy friends he plays with are some type of poodle mix & almost all the other dogs in puppy kindergarten are poodles.

Talking with their owners, what they love about their dog (smart, trainable, non-shedding, athletic) are all the poodle traits.
What they have issues all seem to stem from what they’re mixed with: food obsession (labradoodles), crazy energy (Goldendoodles) & all the nipping (sheepadoodle & aussiedoodles)

I keep wanting to ask them “why didn’t you get a poodle?!” You wanted a smart, athletic & non-shedding dog, which is exactly what a poodle is!!!

·
Premium Member
23,603 Posts
Juliana101 sadly it is really just unfathomable that people can't really articulate good qualities about their doodles that aren't from the poodle part of their dogs. I will be meeting with a new client to start some work with their bernedoodle. I will be interested to learn why she chose this pup. He is an adolescent now.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I share your feelings but I tend to never say it directly. I sometimes poke fun at it. Like if a labradoodle constantly begs for treats I might say "this is how you know there's lab mixed in there!" Or for the local giant Schnoodle who is same sex aggressive, when the owner mentions it I might mention that it is very common in giant schnauzers. Or for the labradoodles who are constantly submersing themselves in mud I'll jokingly compare the depth of mud emersion between Misha and their dog. And I concentrate on always trying to keep Misha's behavior so good that people can't help but admire him as a breed ambassador.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
People tend to act like the only reason to mix with a poodle is for the coat. And then they blame all the behavioural challenges on "the poodle part" because the poodle was just a necessary evil to get that non-shedding coat, right?

Sigh.

Generally speaking, I don't actually know many people who choose breeds based on their temperament. If they did, why are there so many busy urban households being run in circles by their little cattle dogs? Or owners of livestock guardian breeds wondering why their dog is so watchful and protective. Lol.

It's like buying a two-seater sports car and wondering why there isn't room in the back for your camping gear.

·
Premium Member
23,603 Posts
I recall a book by I think Brian Kilcommons that discussed the attributes of many different breeds and gave recommendations of breeds for people with different life styles and I know there are many web sites that discuss breed attributes (along with things like common health problems) that people can use to help decide on a breed. Maybe if more people used those resources there weren't be so many huskies shredding sofas and making toothpicks out of coffee tables in the world. Whether a recognized breed or a common hybrid knowing what is going to live with you for the next 12-15 years sounds like a good idea to me!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recall a book by I think Brian Kilcommons that discussed the attributes of many different breeds and gave recommendations of breeds for people with different life styles and I know there are many web sites that discuss breed attributes (along with things like common health problems) that people can use to help decide on a breed. Maybe if more people used those resources there weren't be so many huskies shredding sofas and making toothpicks out of coffee tables in the world. Whether a recognized breed or a common hybrid knowing what is going to live with you for the next 12-15 years sounds like a good idea to me!
Oh, but you’re forgetting. It’s all in how you raise them, so genetics and breed don’t matter. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,603 Posts
Oh, but you’re forgetting. It’s all in how you raise them, so genetics and breed don’t matter. ;)

Oh dear yes, silly me why did I forget that concept? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Ah yes, that's why people are so dumb for choosing dogs like german shepherds and malinois for bitesports. They could just as easily use golden retrievers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
People tend to act like the only reason to mix with a poodle is for the coat. And then they blame all the behavioural challenges on "the poodle part" because the poodle was just a necessary evil to get that non-shedding coat, right?
So much this too!!

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
I think the reason you are struggling with a polite way to say "bad choice" is that there IS no polite way to say it. Ask yourself the following:
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?

Their doodle is already in their house and is part of their family. It is too late to say "bad choice." So, not kind, not helpful, and probably not necessary.

·
Registered
121 Posts
whenever I discuss doodles with people, I suggest "why not try a poodle next time" and tell them why its more ethical to get a poodle rather than a doodle- I usually change their minds. They get offended (I would too) if you call their exisiting dog unethically bred, probably not healthy, the behavior issues are from ill breeding etc. I find it better to talk future.

Reactions: Juliana101

·
Registered
485 Posts
My poodle puppy is 15 weeks old & almost ALL the puppy friends he plays with are some type of poodle mix & almost all the other dogs in puppy kindergarten are poodles.

Talking with their owners, what they love about their dog (smart, trainable, non-shedding, athletic) are all the poodle traits.
What they have issues all seem to stem from what they’re mixed with: food obsession (labradoodles), crazy energy (Goldendoodles) & all the nipping (sheepadoodle & aussiedoodles)

I keep wanting to ask them “why didn’t you get a poodle?!” You wanted a smart, athletic & non-shedding dog, which is exactly what a poodle is!!!
Yes! Our Charlie is a traffic stopper everywhere we go. Mellow, well behaved and gorgeous. I hear all of the same obsession complaints from doodle owners, and don't understand why anybody would meddle with perfection. None of the mixes can be relied upon not to shed, either. My neighbor got two big doodles from different litters and her house always looked like it had wall to wall golden carpet - they had hardwood somewhere under that mess

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
What wise words! For example, Huskies are sled dogs, bred to run all day long. My cousin used to have a sled dog team and race. They lived in a kennel, and their owners would never have dreamed of bringing those engines of chaos into the house

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
153 Posts
This is how I ended up with a poodle, going on a ton of sites and researching breeds. Based on general stereotypes and lack of knowledge about dogs, I would have never seen myself as a poodle person before, and shocked my friends who would have paired me with a hellhound looking beastie. But poodles seemed to fit my lifestyle better, so here I am.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is how I ended up with a poodle, going on a ton of sites and researching breeds. Based on general stereotypes and lack of knowledge about dogs, I would have never seen myself as a poodle person before, and shocked my friends who would have paired me with a hellhound looking beastie. But poodles seemed to fit my lifestyle better, so here I am.
Agreed! I MTB & Trail run, but also enjoy lounging inside for recovery & chilling. SO many friends seem shocked about my poodle choice for outdoor activities & ask if he can do that stuff with me.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
In many ways, this sounds like us, too. A standard poodle was a logical choice for us, rather than an emotional one. But it didn't take long before the emotions took over! (Typing this with a lovely, warm poodle head in my lap.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in a suburb of Tulsa Oklahoma (Owasso) there are a lot of labor doodles here because that’s the trend . I just love to take kimber to the dog park where there is a giant mud puddle that never dries out and every doodle jumps in and covers themselves with mud head to toe kimber prances to the puddle and and jumps over like a deer clearing a tall fence with such grace and I just smile

1 - 20 of 24 Posts