Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
Get Peggy to help you with the laundry now that she knows the game of grab a cloth and trade it for a treat. Drop a sock, wait for her to get it, trade it for a treat. It's her job to make sure the socks get in the washer.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Get Peggy to help you with the laundry now that she knows the game of grab a cloth and trade it for a treat. Drop a sock, wait for her to get it, trade it for a treat. It's her job to make sure the socks get in the washer.
That would be so cute, but I've not quite figured out how to train it. As soon as the treats come out, she wants nothing to do with the laundry anymore. Hmmmm.... Maybe I need to revisit her "Get it" command. So far it only works reliably on edible things (or toys if there are no yummy things around).

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
if Peggy knows the, ”Get it,” cue, by all means, use that. If Peggy is too interested in your treats, train sit and down for a bit. Then drop a sock and say, “get it.” Trade the sock for a treat. Back to sit and down. Drop the sock again.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
if Peggy knows the, ”Get it,” cue, by all means, use that. If Peggy is too interested in your treats, train sit and down for a bit. Then drop a sock and say, “get it.” Trade the sock for a treat. Back to sit and down. Drop the sock again.
I was forced to practise this a few times yesterday (she's been giving me lots of opportunities, sigh) and today she literally threw a sock at me. Lol! Definitely a first.

She also finally led me back to her "stash." I had forgotten about a pile of unmatched socks tucked away in a basket.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
Your next step, now that she likes fetching socks, is next time you are doing laundry, accidentally on purpose drop a sock next to the washer. Wait for her to get if for you and reward like crazy. After she's good at doing that, teach Peggy to put the sock in the washer.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My Spoos reward IS getting to take the laundry down to the laundry room! It is favorite job, racing down the stairs with it. No need for a treat :) I don't let him take anything I would be upset if it ended up with a little hole.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ooooo what are those magical treats?! I haven’t found any so far. Sure gets expensive trying so many different ones! Lol.
Human food. Tiny bits (<1/2 a pinky nail) of chicken, cheese, hot dogs etc are magic treats, and dont get boring because you change them based on what is in your fridge. The smellier better. Dried beef lung or liver are also good.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ooooo what are those magical treats?! I haven’t found any so far. Sure gets expensive trying so many different ones! Lol.
Lol. It does!! Don't you hate when you get an expensive one, but you're dog doesn't like it as much as the other ones? Sisko really likes this dog food that can also be used as a treat. It looks like a sausage. Okay, I just looked it up, it's called Redbarn dog food. I got the rolled one.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Peggy LOVES string cheese and chicken. If I don't have freshly cooked chicken on hand, I can use PureBites, which she goes nuts for:

She also consistently responds well to True Chews, even with distractions. These have the added bonus of being easy to break into small pieces, even on a walk. No knife or attention required.

We use this kind:

And this kind:

And for low-value indoor training reps, I keep these in a cookie jar on the counter:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lol. It does!! Don't you hate when you get an expensive one, but you're dog doesn't like it as much as the other ones? Sisko really likes this dog food that can also be used as a treat. It looks like a sausage. Okay, I just looked it up, it's called Redbarn dog food. I got the rolled one.
Thanks! I’ll look up that Redbarn kibble 👌 And yes the treat trials are spendy! My dog trainer friend loves it because she gets a constant supply of healthy FREE treats from me! Lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Peggy LOVES string cheese and chicken. If I don't have freshly cooked chicken on hand, I can use PureBites, which she goes nuts for:

She also consistently responds well to True Chews, even with distractions. These have the added bonus of being easy to break into small pieces, even on a walk. No knife or attention required.

We use this kind:

And this kind:

And for low-value indoor training reps, I keep these in a cookie jar on the counter:

Thanks so much for that info! I’ll check into those. I agree Chewy’s is great. Customer service is amazing. I get a personal response within 24 hours! Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Human food. Tiny bits (<1/2 a pinky nail) of chicken, cheese, hot dogs etc are magic treats, and dont get boring because you change them based on what is in your fridge. The smellier better. Dried beef lung or liver are also good.
Absolutely .... Any left over dinner meat in teensy bits. Way healthier, and definitely less costly than those store bought threats full of preservatives, food coloring, and chemicals.. Even little bits of steak are cheaper.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
In your grocery store check and see if they have any chuck steaks. They'll be off to the side from the real steaks like porterhouse and t-bones. Chuck steaks are chewy things and not very tasty to humans, but... if you take it outside and grill it up, then chop it into tiny little bits, you have an absolutely fantastic dog treat. Noelle eats a lot of steak and chicken. Dog treats are a rarity around here. I made a roast a few days ago and it came out way too chewy and almost inedible. Wrong cut, I think. Anyhow, I cut that roast into dog treats. Noelle is one happy dog right now.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Just a minute. Are you saying you store these treats to reward your dog with in your cheeks? I am trying to envision .... take treat from mouth with fingers, give to dog, ... put fingers back in mouth to get another treat?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts