Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong I love snakes and grew up
withmy cousin catching them, but I am deadly afraid of poisonous ones and always have been. Lately myneighbor owning a riding mower oposed
to our push mower (which we have to haul all the way out of the back yard shed and out of a fence) has been mowing our yard for us. He said he has discovered two or three ground rattlers between my house and his (very small distance!) and he owns a couple of little girls.

So yesterday while taking the poos out to poo
(LOL) I was walking barefooted (Yes, I am from Arkansas) and about stepped on one of the little b*******! OMG I about had a heart attack and then it vanished under some grass. Next time I
see one I am taking the hedge clippers to it!

I honestly don't even believe in killing
posisonous snakes if they are on a deserted
road out in the country with no houses no
where in site, but this is an extremely different matter.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always heard of what I am referring to as
a ground rattler around these parts, but it is
solid gray in appearance and bares no rattles, so maybe it isn't poisonous and people are misinformed? After googling some images,
it looks like an earth snake,but you can never be too sure. :(

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
They say that rattle snakes don't come in pairs, but my mother said that they always found two. She grew up on the farm, and grandpa always had to keep an eye out for them. I can see if they are baby snakes, then they may be on their own. Who knows. I hope you get them taken care of before Bella or the girls get bit.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That is scary, but if they bear no rattle, can they really be considered "rattle" snakes? One of my best friends grew up in an area that was FULL of them, and she learned as a young child from her grandparents, that when they feel hey threatend they will put off a smell that smells like cucumbers. I have not ever encountered one so don't know if it us true, but she said that if you all the sudden smell cucumbers, go back the direction you came.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is scary, but if they bear no rattle, can they really be considered "rattle" snakes? One of my best friends grew up in an area that was FULL of them, and she learned as a young child from her grandparents, that when they feel hey threatend they will put off a smell that smells like cucumbers. I have not ever encountered one so don't know if it us true, but she said that if you all the sudden smell cucumbers, go back the direction you came.
Thats what I am wondering. Never heard the expression they smell like cucumbers, I love cucumbers, lol. :(

My grandma used to say if you killed one chicken snake (black rat snake) there was another one of the opposite sex nearby, hence the comes in pairs theory and most the time she was right!

·
Registered
60 Posts
We have alot of copperheads and some timberrattlers in mo. My nieghbor just killed 2 copperheads. I always worry about the dogs right now we have birds dive bombing the dogs. They are building nests somewhere and today is their last day. The pellet gun comes out. Sorrydogs come before birds or snakes.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm sorry but I HATE snakes...:bolt:
I'm also scared to death of them - they give me the creeps. When I was about 4 years old me and my brother (who is 2 years younger than me) were playing on the lawn while my mom was gardening. My brother dropped his toy into one of the gardens and when he bent over to pick it up a cobra spit in his eyes. We lived an hour’s drive out of town, so when my mom called the doctor he said to wash my brother’s eyes out with milk.
I remember it like it was yesterday - as soon as my mom put the milk into his eyes it became like thick cottage cheese. Luckily he turned out ok without any complications.
We’ve lost quite a few dogs to snake bites as I was growing up. I won't kill them unless they are on my property.
I’ve never seen a rattler... and hopefully never will... cause he will most likely be chopped in half if he ever crossed paths with me.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I hate snakes too! I watched a few youtube videos of rattlesnakes who were killed, skinned and gutted, but were still moving around. Talk about creepy! Mercy, be careful, they can still bite and inject poison, after they are dead. Someone we know lost his thumb last summer, when he went to pick up a snake he had shot an hour earlier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was told you have to chop them behind the head . If you just chop them in half they don't die. My friend as a kid picked one up in the driveway when his was about 10. He carried it around his neck for a half an hour or so then put it back on the driveway and it crawled away. We thought it was dead the whole time and it wasn't. That is too gross for me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm not sure if you have King snakes in AK, but they like to snack on other snakes (yaaah). Peacocks are also great snake control.

Another good option for anyone that does live where there are a lot of rattlers is aversion training:

Natural Solutions K-9 Rattlesnake avoidance

I am not sure if it is typically offered for other species of snakes.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Here in San Diego rattlesnakes are just coming out of hibernation and our newscasters always warn people! My best friend who breds GSDs just ended up with a hefty vet bill when one of her dogs got bit! Another friend went into her garage to use her dryer and discovered a half dozen newly hatched babies under her dryer! Spring is a bad time for rattlers here!
We even have 'snake aversion'classes for dogs being given!
They scare the piss outta me!!!!!!!

Reactions: Abbe gails Mom

·
Registered
562 Posts
Apparently, here in Australia we have the world's biggest population of dangerous snakes, and we are not allowed to kill them...

The first day in my new house (about 9 years ago), a snake slid into my kitchen through the open back door.... I shooed him out with a broom... No idea what kind he was..

I'm much more scared of the large hairy spiders, which we also have quite a collection of... Gosh... all those legs!

·
Registered
695 Posts
This thread makes me sad. I have bred snakes and geckos for a living for almost 7 years. Thought most of the people on this forum were true animal lovers, guess not....

Why not keep your back yard clean and open with very short grass? Make it uninviting for snakes, rodents and the other prey they eat? Maybe you could have just gravel, or astroturf or something? Only let your dogs out on leash in areas that haven't been checked for snakes first.

I dunno, but just talking about purposely going out and chopping an animal "in half" just because its VENOMOUS (not "poisonous") is so completely backwards and wrong to me... Oh well... No talking to some uneducated, uncaring people I guess...

Rebecca

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am not thinking I want to get close enough to a snake to see if it smell like cucumbers! :) We lived in the South/Southwest for the last 25 years before moving almost to Canada and Copperheads and Rattle snacks were the norm. I deperately miss the warm weather, but don't miss the snakes at all!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I was told you have to chop them behind the head . If you just chop them in half they don't die. My friend as a kid picked one up in the driveway when his was about 10. He carried it around his neck for a half an hour or so then put it back on the driveway and it crawled away. We thought it was dead the whole time and it wasn't. That is too gross for me.
I have heard of more people being bitten by what they thought were "dead" snakes.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I do not like snakes and if i see 1, i will try to kill it. They have there place, but not in my yard any where around my fur babies. My Grand mother was from Ponytalk Oklahoma, and ( Natv. Amarican) she would say kill a snake, but it will not die till after the sun goes down, and can still bite after they are dead. I don"t know, they creep me out.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I do not like snakes and if i see 1, i will try to kill it. They have there place, but not in my yard any where around my fur babies. My Grand mother was from Ponytalk Oklahoma, and ( Natv. Amarican) she would say kill a snake, but it will not die till after the sun goes down, and can still bite after they are dead. I don"t know, they creep me out.
We lived in the mountains when I was very little and there were a lot of snakes and the only way out in an emergency was to be airlifted down the mountain. All the kids were told that snakes don't die till sundown to keep us from poking around the dead ones! It worked.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts