Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Super Moderator
Joined
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday morning, shortly after awakening, I heard the Sachii playing with something that sounded like plastic. I looked down, and he was trying to rip open a Ziplock lunch baggie containing my diabetic and high blood pressure pills. My purse was on the floor and he had decided to go digging around in it. There weren't even any snacks in it. I have never had a dog go into my purse before.

Also strangely coincidental is I rarely have meds in my purse, but on Thursday I didn't want to take them on an empty stomach before I left home, so packed up the pills, then forgot take them while I was out. No need for alarm about that part since my HBP has been in the normal range for a long time with meds, and the diabetes in the high-normal range with meds and not overdoing the snacks.

I snatched the baggie away from Sachii. He had done some serious chewing on it and the pills were somewhat crushed. There was a little hole at bottom corner where he had been trying to suck out the pills. I pieced them together and could see he might have ingested 1/8 of one pill for the diabetes.

I PANICKED !!!

I jumped on the Internet. It said to induce vomiting with Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. I called my dogsitter who lives in my building, and she had some and rushed to my apartment. By then, 15 minutes had passed. By his weight, he needed 1/2 tsp. She held him while I gave it to him. He didn't like it but was cooperative. He also didn't vomit; it wasn't enough to vomit.

Diabetic pills lower blood sugar, and mine are the lowest dose possible, so even if he had ingested 1/8 of a pill, I didn't know if his blood sugar would have dropped. Just in case, I gave him some Nutri-Cal to offset this possibility (syrup also works) and waited on my vet to call back. She said he should be fine and to keep an eye on him.

Well he was perfectly fine. He might not have ingested any of it. It's disturbing, none the less. What if I had been in the shower when he got into my purse and began chomping away on the baggie? Another 5 minutes he would have gotten through, and eaten both the high blood pressure and the diabetic pills.

Although it's not cool to make mistakes of this type much less admitting it to anyone, what I read on the Poison Control sites is that pets consuming human medications is extremely common and quite costly when they get sick, not to mention death. Even those with pill holders with the snap lids can be dangerous around a dog; they pop open easily. I've always been extremely careful to not drop a pill when taking my meds in the morning, but never imagined one of my poodles would go into my purse. It's also a good idea to keep Hydrogen Peroxide 3% and charcoal on hand, although I don't know how one would use the latter.

So anyway I hope this helps someone prevent a tragedy.
 

Registered
Joined
7,261 Posts
You鈥檙e so lucky you caught Sachii in time. And thank you for posting this warning.

I wear smaller crossbody purses. Because they are small I always keep it on the kitchen counter in a corner. This habit to place it in the corner is solid, I can鈥檛 imagine putting it on the floor. But if I had a large purse I might make that same mistake of leaving on the floor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Vita

Registered
Joined
10,294 Posts
I'm so glad you caught it in time. Whew! It's very scary. I'm so happy he's okay and he probably didn't get enough to hurt him. I'm aware of this kind of thing because Matisse is my naughty child. He's snoopy. It's part of his personality...he has a ton of personality. He'll never grow up. If there's anything the slightest bit interesting, he's going to check it out.

A few years ago where I use to live, my son's girlfriend would come over...quite a bit. And she, without fail would put her big, huge purse on the floor. It had all kinds of dangerous things in it. I'd put it up and ask her to please remember to put it up high. Invariably she wouldn't. I'd have to watch for it myself and pick it up myself. Mind you, this was a 40 something year old woman. Ditzy as hell. It's like having toddlers when you have dogs of any age pretty much. I'm sure there are those who don't get so curious but they might. So, yeah...scary.

Another thing that's terribly scary and something to think about are plastic bags. One time I was at my ex's in my old town and I had not only my dogs, but my son's almost record breaking old, 50 lb dog there too. My ex and I went out for dinner and when we came back we couldn't find the old girl...looked in a few other rooms and she was in the laundry room on the floor pawing at her face which had a plastic grocery bag on it. Her head was completely inside. She was struggling but weakly, as if she were running out of strength and air. I yanked that bag off of her and her whole face...her whole head was wet and hot. I don't know how long she had her head in there but I think another minute or two if we hadn't come in when we did would have been enough to suffocate her completely. It was the most disturbing, upsetting thing I've ever had happen and the most guilt-producing. That bag must have had something the use to have food that smelled good in it. I sat there with her head in my lap and loved on her for a very long time. So it's not just puppies who can get into trouble.
 

Super Moderator
Joined
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the support. I almost didn't write this post b/c it's kind of embarrassing, but on the other hand, a real life scenario to remind us that crazy stuff can happen that never happened before. It's like that 1960s Doris Day TV show, Please Don't Eat The Daisies. She thought she had it all covered and it never occurred to her that one of her kids would eat the daisies.
 

Registered
Joined
1,398 Posts
Thank you everyone for the support. I almost didn't write this post b/c it's kind of embarrassing, but on the other hand, a real life scenario to remind us that crazy stuff can happen that never happened before. It's like that 1960s Doris Day TV show, Please Don't Eat The Daisies. She thought she had it all covered and it never occurred to her that one of her kids would eat the daisies.
Oh goodness, I know there are stories I could share that I would be embarrassed about. But in the end, my dogs were okay and I learned something. I think we all have those stories, so thanks for being brave enough to share yours. Giving reminders and warnings are never bad and reminds all of us to be more careful.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top