Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has been extremely bonded to me from the moment I brought him home from the shelter & popped the lid on his carrier. He's not a cuddler. He doesn't like being held or sitting on laps or even being petted. He just wants to be near me, all the time. He waits at the door for me to get home from work. He follows me from room to room. He mews if he wakes up and doesn't know where I am; I need to call out, so he can come find me. When he is completely overcome with strong feelings, he will lie down and poke at me with a paw.

Snarky liked to hang out with me as well. Thus, I usually had a little parade behind me: Snarky at my heels and the cat following him. Snarky wasn't a cat lover, as he had been traumatized by one during a puppy fear stage. However, he would tolerate a cat as long as it wasnt being too pushy. His way of coping was to avert his eyes and pretend the cat wasn't really there.

What I didn't realize was that the cat adored Snarky. Being his normal undemonstrative self, the cat expressed his fondness by sitting three feet away from Snarky. Snarky reciprocated by pretending the cat didn't exist. Since Snarky was usually on the couch with his head on my feet, I just assumed the cat was doing his usual clingy routine with me and that Snarky was merely part of the scenery.

Pogo, in contrast, has always been more active in his dislike of the cat. It's a jealousy thing. He's ok with the cat following me around or being any place where he is not. He gets outraged, however, when the cat wants to come hang out with anyone watching TV. TV is Pogo's human time. Cats are not welcome.

With Snarky gone, the cat is now trying to build a relationship with Pogo. The cat will glide up to Pogo and gently curl his tail around Pogo's foreleg. He will sniff Pogo's feet. He touches noses. It's very odd to watch.

Last night I heard Pogo giving a distressed whine from the hallway outside the bedroom. I checked and found him standing, wanting to go down the steps. The cat was lying between him and the steps, affectionately poking him with a paw. I could tell the question in Pogo's mind was, "What is WRONG with this furry little freak?"

·
Registered
222 Posts
Aww! I love cats. It's nice when cats try to be friendly with dogs despite what the dogs think about it, haha. Our 2 cats are good with Jessie, but there is an outdoor cat in our neighborhood who just adores her. When we go on walks, the cat runs up to Jessie and rubs his head along Jessie's entire body. Jessie takes this seriously and stands very still so she doesn't scare the kitty. She loves looking for her kitty friend outside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts