Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had read that Nature's Specialities was okay to use for puppies, but it didn't say tearless. Should I use something else to wash the face? If so, would Johnson's and Johnson's baby shampoo be okay to use on the face?

Thanks!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Kim, I don't typically bathe my dogs face or topknot because I dont' want to get soap in the eyes, nose or ears. I only bathe the tips of his ears. I use a "pet wipe" to remove dirt from those areas and that works great in between grooms. There is also a great pad for removing eye gunk that can also be used "to clean a grubby muzzle" (hehe. which is what I call Fozzie right before I use it, "come here, grubby muzzle!")

We bathed our dog in johnson's baby shampoo when I was a kid, so Im g uessing it would be ok in a pinch if you absolutely had to shampoo the snout.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The plum silky is not tearless. If you wanted to stick with the natures specialties line, their berry gentle is tearless and smells great!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use the Les Pooch Tearless Puppy shampoo on ALL the dogs (in the salon) faces. I love love LOVE it! Never EVER had a problem with it hurting a dogs eyes or causing irritation at all.

Fozziesmom, if you use a good quality shampoo, you shouldn't be concerned if a little bit of highly dilute shampoo flushes over the eyes. You are going to be rinsing it well and that should flush out any shampoo that may come in contact with the eye. As for the ears, you really NEED to be washing the ear leather inside and out to be getting it really clean. If you are concerned about getting water in the ear, just press your finger at the base of the ear while holding the leather back (toward the back of the neck) and spray toward the tail (hope the makes sense). A little bit of water is NOT going to cause an ear infection, but do allow your dog to shake his head and then use a cotton pad to wipe out the moisture :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I HATE the feeling thay johnsons baby shampoo leaves. It a few days, it actually begins to attract dirt like a sticky lollipop dropped attracts fuzz. When VETS recommend it, I quit recommending that vet....they don't know about hair. I also use Les Pooch puppy tearless as well as Tropiclean blueberry vanilla face wash. I wash topknots and throats with normal shampoo but I use les pooch F&T degreaser on ears, inside the hole and the flap inside & out. I rub a washcloth on the skin and down in the hole. I find that the dryer, squeaky clean the hole is, the less bacteria or yeast can build up....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts