Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it is normal for poodles to have scabs in their ears after they had a massive amount of hair plucked from them?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Yikes, no. I was completely against ear plucking, but Frosty had so much in there, I was convinced I had to start doing it. I use ear powder and a hemostat and only pull a few hairs at a time, so they come out easily. I would imagine there could be blood (not to mention extreme pain) if too many hairs are pulled at once.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If they pulled massive amounts of hair they could have actually caused irritation in the ear which might have caused slight bleeding and that may be why you are seeing scabs. Is the dog scratching the ears? Vigorous scratching by the dog could also cause irritation/bleeding. There are different schools of thought on plucking. I do pluck ears because both of my dogs get a lot of thick hair growth in their canals and if I don't pluck, ear wax builds up in them, it's hard to clean, air can't circulate, etc. and then they tend to get irritated. But I keep them fairly clean and therefore only have small amounts to pluck at a given time...

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I guess it could happen, and after plucking massive amounts I wouldn't be surprised at the dog scratching his ears too and causing this. I think its important to keep up with the ears so we don't have this happen.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
No never had scabs, I find when I trim their face every 2 weeks I clean all the hair from the entrance to the ear so they only get plucked about every 3 months and not much hair at all

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have the same situation as Eclipse, if I do not keep Raven's plucked she gets so much wax and moisture we have a yeast problem. I do a little every two weeks when I groom and keep ahead of it so it's never too much hair at once.

·
Premium Member
22,991 Posts
For Javelin ear plucking is a must (but I do small amounts more often, not "massive" amounts in one shot), for Lily not so much.

·
Registered
596 Posts
yep mine was plucked against my wishes and very scabby afterwards. Vet was dead set against it - she went as far as saying plucking causes ear issues rather than prevent them. She recommends cutting the hair - especially the hair under the ear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts