Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before getting my puppy, I was noticing reference to plucking poodle ears and wondered what that was all about.

Now that I've got my puppy, I looked in there, and oh my goodness, that's what you're talking about! The little devil's got fur in there.

Sooooo, do I literally pluck them? and with what? and Sammy wants to know if he's going to enjoy this.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I use both my fingers and haemostats. Some people use ear powder as this helps to get a better grip of the hairs.You pretty much just pluck a little with each pull and as much in a sitting as your poo will allow. As to Sammy's question T said "your gunna hate it Sammy". I usually do T's at the end of his grooming when he is quietest, I don't get much done at a time cause he wriggles and carries on like a pork chop.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't pluck Max. Our vet agreed, if it's not broken don't fix it. He doesn't have too much ear hair and hasn't gotten an infection. I wipe them out with a solution of water and vinegar occasionally.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I pluck Sam's, but not Jenny's. I would leave it alone unless he starts to have problems. Keep the ears very clean though and do yourself a favor and shave the long hairs around the opening to allow more air circulation. Always use ear powder when you pluck. It makes it much less uncomfortable for the dog. I load Sam's ear with powder and rub and move his ear around to distribute it all over, then pluck with my fingers. You can reach really far down into the ear and you will not hurt anything. As long as there is plenty of powder Sam doesn't mind at all, If I try to pluck an area that isn't powder covered he doesn't like it one bit. I do this before his bath because the powder goes everywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts