Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm planning to groom my future poodle myself. Recently, I read about plucking ear hairs. Is that really necessary, or only it the ear-hairs cause a problem. I am concerned that the dog would feel the plucking and that it would hurt. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
903 Posts
From what I've read here some folks find it necessary, and others prefer not to. I think it depends on the dog. I haven't fully plucked Oona's ears but I do sometimes reach in and kind of scoop the hair outward to make sure it's not growing down into her ear canal, and sometimes I pluck some of the hair out with my fingers in the process. She actually seems to like it if I'm gentle (she gives the same kind of moan as when I massage her ears).

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You have to be aware of ear care in some shape or form when you get your puppy. Obviously your doing your research and that's awesome; prepare for the worst and expect the best. If you just have an ear cleaning solution and cotton balls, then you'll survive the first 6 months with a puppy to figure out how far you need to take ear plucking.

It's a low priority for us since we don't swim ever. It's on the back burner, on low heat kind of priority. I'll pour cleaning solution in her ear once every 2 months as preventative maintenance. If she had signs of constant itching then I would be on it, but she doesn't... So no problem.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I clean and pluck once a week. I never used to with my other dogs (non-poodles) but Zephyr's ears get really filthy like none of my other dogs ever did, and he has lots of hair growing in his ears, down inside the canals. My vet says I have to pluck. I do a little bit once a week. He doesn't like it, but if you do it that frequently a little bit keeps it pretty clean and it only takes a minute and it's done. I use a mini hemostat to get down in the canals.

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
My boys, Pogo and Snarky, fared badly if I plucked. Pogo, especially, had horrible ear wax; it was like asphalt. He also had very thick ear hair. Plucking their ears would let yeast and bacteria get down into the injured hair sheaths. A day or two later the boys would be shaking their heads with a rip-roaring ear infection. I found it was better, for them, if I simply trimmed the ear hair as much as possible and used an ear cleanser.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I clean and pluck once a week. I never used to with my other dogs (non-poodles) but Zephyr's ears get really filthy like none of my other dogs ever did, and he has lots of hair growing in his ears, down inside the canals. My vet says I have to pluck. I do a little bit once a week. He doesn't like it, but if you do it that frequently a little bit keeps it pretty clean and it only takes a minute and it's done. I use a mini hemostat to get down in the canals.
Thanks! What is a mini hemostat?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My boys, Pogo and Snarky, fared badly if I plucked. Pogo, especially, had horrible ear wax; it was like asphalt. He also had very thick ear hair. Plucking their ears would let yeast and bacteria get down into the injured hair sheaths. A day or two later the boys would be shaking their heads with a rip-roaring ear infection. I found it was better, for them, if I simply trimmed the ear hair as much as possible and used an ear cleanser.
Thanks! How did you trim it? Scissors?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.