Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 weeks ago out little chanel ( 4 years of age ) chocked on a raw hide. She threw up bile 7 times then stopped. The next day ( Monday ) we scheduled an appointment with our veterinarian. She threw up bile later that day again but this time with small specs of blood. At the appointment Chanel was fine. We jumped to forums and read suggestions from others to get antibiotic. We BEGGED our vet for them but he refused stating that "She doesn't need it in her system" and that the blood in the bile was "scratch that will heal just like your elbow" . Later that day she had some bloating but then every symptom suddenly disappeared. She was fine for 2 weeks, happy joyful playful and as always the most lovable cutest poodle on earth! Then on Friday night she had her semi monthly bubble bath. 2 Hours after that she went to drink water ( quite rapidly I may add ) and she started to bloat yet again. We thought it would only last a little while but then something weird happened. She was heaving in the stomach area then within 24 hours the pain visibly transferred to the lungs and she had trouble breathing. First thing Monday we called up our vet and was referred to the Emergency Vet Hospital nearby. We took her there and were immediately charged $745 for an X-ray and check up. Then we got a call 3 hours later that the X-rays came back as fluid ( and possible blood ) in the left lung. We don't know what to do. The hospital refuses to start treatment but rather demands payment of upwards of $5,000 immediately to begin tests only. Please, please, if any of you are veterinarians or have experience, any advice would be of utmost help.
Here are the X-rays.
467256
467257
467258
467259
467260
467261
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
I do know there’s care credit....majority of vets have the paper work or contact info to apply, I’m not sure how quick the process is though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Since it’s only one side, are they thinking she aspirated? Or has a pleural effusion? Or something else? When I’ve had to take my dogs to the emergency vet they always want to be thorough (understandably) but I try to keep them within the realm of my budget if possible. The last time I went, they did labs and an exam and wanted to do more testing, but I asked “from the clinical picture now what are our treatment options?”
I was able to go with the conservative treatment and my bill was around $700 I think.
Conservative treatment is better than no treatment at all. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I'm so sorry you’re in that position. Emergency vets are so expensive :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is exactly what happened to us. We paid $745 for an X-ray, exam and oxygen. They wanted to do nearly 5 other tests to rule out all diseases, including a test for cancer after we clearly told them what had happened to cause my little doggie to feel ill. Without reading your comment we asked them to send us the X-rays and to tell us our treatment options, which they did not want to give. After insisting from our side they gave us antibiotic only. Amoxicillan was prescribed which is something a dentist prescribes for the mildest of infections. The emergency vet's procedure they were insisting on was to sedate her and feed a needle to her lung to draw out liquid, not to fully drain the liquid but only to take a sample for testing. I did not see why my little poodle had to wait 12-24 hours for a test without starting any kind of antibiotic treatment which is what the vet hinted as to what is really the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Is she still needing oxygen? If she has a pleural effusion sometimes the only way to rid of it is a thoracentesis, which is the procedure you describe except it’s to drain an accumulation of fluid and not always just to test a small sample although they normally do test it if removing it. However, if she is stable I don’t see why your normal vet couldn’t handle further diagnostic testing to get to the bottom of what is happening. You may want to get in touch with them tomorrow.
I only know human medicine (human RN) so I wish I could be more help.
Hoping Chanel is feeling better soon.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,593 Posts
This is all so upsetting. Do they think she might have aspirated during that choking episode? Maybe it's turned into pneumonia?

I know nothing about veterinary medicine, but I so wish I did. I do hope Chanel isn't suffering as you're navigating this process with the vet. :( Will absolutely be praying for her. And you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
I’m really sorry you’re facing this and here we have an old governor or mayor that opens a clinic and he’s waaaay lower than the rest. Maybe check around on prices if there’s time. Some shelters offer services at lower cost as well. I really hope it gets better for you and she improves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
The emergency vet should agree to share the xrays and what info they have with your regular vet who you could then consult with since your regular vet referred you there.

Is Chanel home?

I'm not medically trained but this is very easily life threatening. Was there any talk of medicine to reduce fluid retention (Lasix in humans) or if that could be appropriate?

Is the fluid in the lungs aka pulmonary edema or in the chest cavity aka pleural effusion. Did they rule out pneumonia?

Whatever has caused the fluid build up, whether thru injury, possibly by the rawhide, or by a coincidental condition not previously diagnosed, it could well be expensive to find out and then treat.

You'll get your best information from your own vet after they've consulted with the ER clinic.

I really hope your Chanel will be ok.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top