Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help...I just went to ofa website and found out the puppy I was going to get that the dam's hips were fair. Also the Grand dam has this A3-Eyelids, distichiasis

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think the A3 is simply the code for the problem. Here is a good explanation of distichiasis:

http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/canine.htm

I don't know... this is exactly the type of thing that jumps a generation. I would think that you would see it though by 8 weeks and I would not take a puppy that had ANY sort of tearing. Don't let the breeder try to pass tearing off as a teething issue. While it might be, with a background history of distichiasis, I would not take my chances. You could also ask IN WRITING that the breeder pay for any surgery required to fix a distichiasistic condition in the future.

Re the fair hips...
Fair is a passing grade for hips. What is the stud dog rated and what are the hips behind both parents and produced by both parents? (you can see this by doing a vertical pedigree on OFA) Can you provide registered names for dam and sire?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sire is Astoria Divine Di Vinci hips are excellent and Unique Divine Angelina Rose are fair. I did the vertigal pedigree and not much there. The paternal grands are good and the materal grands are not listed. I did ask the breeder if she would e-mail me the health records on parents and grandparents.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sorry to inform you - bitch never had eye exam : ((. I was looking into that litter too . Babies are gorgeous, but not all testing was done : ((.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Was looking at them the other day too, puppies look cute, but shame about the testing. Just goes to show that just because the pedigree looks ok, doesn't mean everything is fine

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if it is not listed on ofa website, does that mean all the testing hasn't been done? I asked her to e-mail the health certicates on parents and grandparents but haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
No, sometimes testing isn't listed. For example, I never listed Sabrina's VWB report on OFA (too lazy to send it in). However, I provided a copy to anyone who asked.

I just looked at the pedigree and it is full of very, very well known dogs. CH Afterglow the Big Tease is an English dog who won PCA. The Unique kennel (Joan Mcfadden) has been around for a long time and has a reputation for producing show/obedience dogs.

I would just like to believe in my heart that these folks are doing the testing they need to do. However, if the breeder can't show you full testing: hips, eyes, SA, VWB at least then you take a pass no matter how nice the pedigree.

If they aren't doing the testing they need to do.... shame on them!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me too. I just simply will refuse to pay top dollar for a pet companion, that health testing isn't a priority in their breeding program. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I really want things to work out.
I realize that I am just wanting a quality pet companion. But health and temperament will always be my top priority in my search.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Me too. I just simply will refuse to pay top dollar for a pet companion, that health testing isn't a priority in their breeding program. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I really want things to work out.
I realize that I am just wanting a quality pet companion. But health and temperament will always be my top priority in my search.
So smart of you to keep temperament in with all the other stuff. So important and unfortunately a lesson I learned too late.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Thanks, and the search goes on.
One thing I learned is that as soon as you disagree with someone you become fair game so keep your wits about you and ask tons of questions. If they can't answer your questions directly they aren't worth dealing with and write down questions so you don't forget.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sutton dearest :act-up:- this post is about year and "some" old ;)

BUT , a good thread to read for anybody looking for a puppy right now :act-up:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts