Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want her to have a pretty, feminine name. So far I like Francesca and Lucy, but one of my daughters is being difficult and doesn't like those names. I would like to find one we can all agree on. I will post some better pics if/when I can get some but she is extremely hard to photograph (will not stay still for one second).

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Here are a few..
Sierra/Cierra
Jasmine
Charlotte
Jade
Genevieve (in French pronounced John-vee-ev)
Meghan
Elle
Brigette
Charlize

You will likely get loads more!! Hope it helps. She is cute.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is her registered name? What are the registered names of the dam and sire.

Because she is a Silver Beige, it is important to keep in mind what her final color will be. She will look like this when she is done:
http://www.alegriapoodles.com/
Haha. She just licked my daughter's eyeball.

As far as I know she is not registered. I have no idea what her parents' names are. I adopted her a few days ago off of craigslist. She is 4 months old and her current name is Jujube, but we really prefer an actual real name.

Really? She is going to lighten up that much? Wow...thats too bad, I really like her color now :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charlotte and Meghan are possibilities, thank you very much:) Lauren is also in the running now too.

Here are a few..
Sierra/Cierra
Jasmine
Charlotte
Jade
Genevieve (in French pronounced John-vee-ev)
Meghan
Elle
Brigette
Charlize

You will likely get loads more!! Hope it helps. She is cute.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I like Franchesca, and Lucy! I'm sure there are people on here that will advocate for Lucy, as well! (We have some pretty Lucy's here!)

I don't have any suggestions, however... if you really love one of the names, go for it! When it came down to it with family pets, my parents had the final say in their names (unless, like our first cocker, the pet was bought by one of us.)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Haha. She just licked my daughter's eyeball. As far as I know she is not registered. I have no idea what her parents' names are. I adopted her a few days ago off of craigslist. Really? She is going to lighten up that much? Wow...thats too bad, I really like her color now :)
OK... a couple of things. I don't think she is a Toy. She looks like a Mini to me. I bet she ends up in the 13" range.

Next. Toy and Mini Poodles have a genetic eye condition that causes blindness. If both breeding parents carry a recessive gene for prcd-PRA, then a certain percentage of their offspring will go blind, usually starting around age 5. If your puppy's parents were not tested (and I'm guessing that they were not!), you should really get this girl tested so that you know what is in store for her. Here is information on the test. It is a simple cheek swab:
http://www.optigen.com/opt9_test_pra_poodle.html

Names....
Lacey
Chloe
Eve
Daphne

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you for the info :) Just want to let you know that we did not go out and purchase her from some byb or puppymill (I get the feeling you might have that impression). We adopted her from the couple who did buy her from a breeder a couple months ago, and then realized they did not have time for her. We adopted her for a very minimal fee.
I will look into that test, thanks for the advice :)

We like the name Eve (or Evie or Evelynn!!) Thanks :)

OK... a couple of things. I don't think she is a Toy. She looks like a Mini to me. I bet she ends up in the 13" range.

Next. Toy and Mini Poodles have a genetic eye condition that causes blindness. If both breeding parents carry a recessive gene for prcd-PRA, then a certain percentage of their offspring will go blind, usually starting around age 5. If your puppy's parents were not tested (and I'm guessing that they were not!), you should really get this girl tested so that you know what is in store for her. Here is information on the test. It is a simple cheek swab:
http://www.optigen.com/opt9_test_pra_poodle.html

Names....
Lacey
Chloe
Eve
Daphne

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like Franchesca, and Lucy! I'm sure there are people on here that will advocate for Lucy, as well! (We have some pretty Lucy's here!)

I don't have any suggestions, however... if you really love one of the names, go for it! When it came down to it with family pets, my parents had the final say in their names (unless, like our first cocker, the pet was bought by one of us.)
Good advice, thank you :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hi,

Your new puppy is adorable. It looks like she is going to be silver.
Carol - do you think she is a silver beige????

As far as a name, I really like Silvie, Silvia or Silva. They all sound good for a silver girl. :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Hi,

Your new puppy is adorable. It looks like she is going to be silver.
Carol - do you think she is a silver beige????

As far as a name, I really like Silvie, Silvia or Silva. They all sound good for a silver girl. :)
I'm pretty sure she'll be a Silver Beige as:
She is too light to be a silver at 4 months of age,

and she has liver pigment! Which silver beiges have, silvers do not!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm pretty sure she'll be a Silver Beige as:
She is too light to be a silver at 4 months of age,

and she has liver pigment! Which silver beiges have, silvers do not!
I went back to look again and you are absolutely right. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Thank you for the info :) Just want to let you know that we did not go out and purchase her from some byb or puppymill (I get the feeling you might have that impression). We adopted her from the couple who did buy her from a breeder a couple months ago, and then realized they did not have time for her. We adopted her for a very minimal fee.
I will look into that test, thanks for the advice :)
Unfortunately, chances are that she originally came from a BYB. Most good breeders require by contract that their puppies be returned to them if the original owner can no longer keep them. The fact that the original owners placed this puppy on Craig's List is not a good sign.

It could be, however, that there is a good breeder out there who does not know that her puppy has changed hands. Did you get any paperwork with this girl? Can you track down the original breeder?

Anyway, finding out about Optigen testing is really, really important. Hopefully, with a little detective work, you will be able to track down the breeder and find out if she tested the dam and sire.

Edited to ask.... What part of the country are you guys in? Silver Beige is not a color you see too often.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like:

Harriet
Carlie
Matilda
Beatrice
Frances

I like "old fashioned" people names for animals...

She is as CUTE as a button!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
She sure is a cutie!! I love her colouring right now too, but Poodles do have a tendancy to lighten or fade over time.. she'll be sweet whatever colour she ends up being.
I've always loved the name Eden for a little wee girl.
I also love Ellie, Ella, Masie, or Macy, Clover, Ruby, Willow, Zoey, Mia, Meadow, ok I have so many girl names, I would never be able to pick just one!!
Eden Meadow is pretty, Eden Rayne, lol... good luck!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts