Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow after I left for work this morning, Miracle injured her foot, possibly her leg. She has people home with her during the day, but no one saw it happen, and I didn't find out until I got home. I decided not to go the emergency vet route because we were experiencing severe weather, with sirens going off. She's been able to eat, drink, and go to the bathroom, but other than that I pick her up and carry her. So tomorrow she has to go to the vet with relatives, instead of her mama (I have to be at work), and they can't even go inside with her. It's not going to be a good day for her or for me.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I hope it's nothing serious and that the vet finds nothing of concern. It's promising that she's eating and drinking normally, but I know it's a big worry until you get the all clear.

Keeping you both in my thoughts.

Reactions: Dogs4Life

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
Fingers crossed that it may be as simple as a strain. Rough times make going to the vet a matter of luck. Our vet allows only 3 customers at a time. Had to wait a bit to pick up Asta's Bravecto. Must be harder to have to hand off the pup at the car. Thinking good thoughts for Miracle (and you)

·
Registered
12,729 Posts
Hoping it is just a strain, but she will be more comfortable with some pain relief. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Dogs4Life

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fingers crossed that it may be as simple as a strain. Rough times make going to the vet a matter of luck. Our vet allows only 3 customers at a time. Had to wait a bit to pick up Asta's Bravecto. Must be harder to have to hand off the pup at the car. Thinking good thoughts for Miracle (and you)
I'm not even sure who she will go to yet. Whatever place has the space! She, unfortunately, will have to be muzzled right away. She was fine at the new vet when I brought her in last year, but without me or someone with her she will be very, very anxious. And with being uncomfortable...she did put her teeth on my hand last night but didn't bite down.

·
Premium Member
23,619 Posts
I hope you get good news that there is nothing serious going on.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She didn't get in until late afternoon, so we just got home not that long ago. She has torn ligaments in her ankle, so she's in a splint. She's very upset right now. Jasper ended up with a torn ligament in his knee a while back, and it took him forever to recover, but he was able to do so without surgery. It sounds like she isn't going to be so lucky and she might need surgery. I do not even understand how this happened. Fortunately the vet who worked with Jasper and helped him to recover is close by, so I will be making an appointment with him asap. He's the expert.

If anyone has any experience with torn ligaments in the ankle, please share.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
She didn't get in until late afternoon, so we just got home not that long ago. She has torn ligaments in her ankle, so she's in a splint. She's very upset right now. Jasper ended up with a torn ligament in his knee a while back, and it took him forever to recover, but he was able to do so without surgery. It sounds like she isn't going to be so lucky and she might need surgery. I do not even understand how this happened. Fortunately the vet who worked with Jasper and helped him to recover is close by, so I will be making an appointment with him asap. He's the expert.

If anyone has any experience with torn ligaments in the ankle, please share.
OMG, ouch. I’m sorry. I hope they feel better soon, and that everything goes well with surgery if she needs it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Poor Miracle! :( Not terribly related, and I'm not so sure of how it relates to an ankle ligament surgery, but the PB mix across the street tore his ACL in the right rear leg playing at the dog park and wound up having to have surgery. He wasn't allowed to go up and down stairs for a while, but now he's fine and is back to his old habits of barking wildly at us each time we walk by, dashing from the backyard to the front window and slamming against it with no apparent pain whatsoever. At least he feels better...

If you aren't, I'd suggest giving some glucosamine supplements to help the joints and such heal. I couldn't find any links specific to ankle ligaments, but I think the general idea would likely be the same:
The Rehabilitation Process for Dogs with Ligament Injuries – K9 Aquatic & Wellness Center
Cranial Cruciate Ligament Repair: Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts