Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know I'm a pain in the ass, but I so don't want to make a mistake in choosing a dog. After my last thread, I'm having second thoughts about the breeder I thought we'd settled on and while I haven't completely changed my mind, I thought I'd go back and look at a couple of other breeders that had been in the running. So can you please check out these websites and tell me what YOU see? Thanks.

http://www.kushnivasstandardpoodles.com/index.php?pr=Home_Page
http://www.signetpoodles.com/Contact Us.htm
http://s95359928.onlinehome.us/sh/home.htm

Help, please!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and here's a reply to an email I had sent to the first breeder with all her responses.

First and foremost I truly appreciate all your questions, these are things I like to discuss with potential families for our kids. Everything you ask is very important. I will attempt to answer each of your questions completely. Should I miss something or if you would like further detail, then please do not hesitate to request further info. And please, you should never apologize for doing asking questions regarding a possible future family member.

1) How often do you breed your bitches and at what age do they start? Our first female, FAI, at the age of three had her first litter in April 04 and her second and last litter was Oct 06. She was only bred twice. Teka, mother to this current litter has had three litters, this will be her fourth and last litter. She was 2 1/2 when she had her first litter, born Oct 06, her second Jan 08, third Aug 09 and this last litter Feb 10. The reason for this last litter is to possibly provide us with another female. We were to spay Teka after her last litter, however as we have not yet completed health testing on her daughter Jessie, we were concerned should she not pass all her testing we would have no breeding female. She will be spayed when this litter has all been placed. Jessie will then have her testing complete and we will know whether or not we need to keep a female.
2) Do you own the studs or do you breed with males from other breeders? In the past, we have always bred to dogs owned by other breeders. This litter will be the first for our male Ari. We imported Ari from the US when he was nine weeks of age. He is now 2 yrs. and 9 months. It will be a good test case for him. Teka became a Top Producer with her first two litters. She has consistently produced exceptional pups. We are expecting the same quality in the Ari babes
3) How long is your health guarantee? We "guarantee" our pups for things that we can test for, these can usually be confirmed within two years. That being said we will stand behind the health of our pups and should one not be satisfied with our pups we will take them back at any time for any reason.
4) What sort of health screening do you do and do you provide copies of the certificates to the new owners? As stated on our web site, Teka has been tested for hips (good), elbows (normal), CERF (normal), heart (normal), NEWS (clear), V Willebrands (clear by DNA), SA (normal) and Thyroid (normal 2009). Ari has been tested for CERF (normal), Hips (good) and Elbows (normal), SA (normal) and V Willebrands (clear by DNA), and NEWS (carrier) NEWS only affects puppies in the first few weeks of life, does not affect older puppies. Because Teka is clear she will never produce an affected puppy, however may produce a carrier when bred to a carrier (which Ari apparently is, his breeder advised us that she tested him at a two days of age, however we have never been able to acquire the results. We will be retesting him this Spring). The results of NEWS only is important if one wishes to breed. Copies of all our health certificates are available upon request, but can be viewed in person. The results are also available on the OFA web-site. www.offa.org
5) Are the puppies microchipped before they come home? Yes all our puppies are microchipped with CKC micro-chips and Vet checked
6) How often are the potential owners permitted to visit the puppies during their first 8 weeks? We have had new families come visit weekly their babes from as early as one week of age until they took them home. We are retired and our home is just about always open to guests.
7) How do you go about choosing a puppy - do you pick or does the potential owner? We do temperament testing on day 49, from there we attempt to match puppies to the new families. We try to match the needs of the family with the needs of a puppy. A quiet reserved puppy may be great for an older person, but not so great for a young family. When the family has been visiting the pups it is easier to make these choices. If somebody were to choose a puppy that we really felt did not suit them, we would discuss this fully with the individual and then make the decision to either allow the choice or not. Our puppies are our first concern, and we want the best fit for them.
8) Do you have a contract to be signed prior to adoption and is it available to see beforehand? We have a non-breeding contract which is signed at the time of change of ownership. I prefer to provide it to the potential families in advance in order that if there are any questions, we can discuss them fully.
9) How many puppies are already spoken for from you upcoming litter? We do not consider any puppy spoken for until we receive a small deposit. At this time we have received none. We do not advertise much and at this time the only place these pups are mentioned is on our web-site. Often that is the only place we do advertise them. When a deposit is placed upon a potential puppy, we need to know what it is you are looking for i.e. male/female; black or cream; companion/show/breeding. If at the time of birth we do not have what you request, we will contact you and discuss your decision. i.e. your request is for a cream female, but there are only black females. Are you interested, if not your deposit is returned. If you are choosing a pup for show, that decision is made when the pups are seven weeks old. We want only the best of the best in the show ring. Those individuals who place a deposit will have first option at puppies.
10) How much are your puppies? Our Companion pups are $1500. Show and Breeding pups are sold under private contract. Although we strive to produce pups that are show and breeding quality, we prefer to have them placed into homes as companions. We do not want our kids to grow up in kennels.
11) Do you have a puppy application form you could send me? My preference is to have you visit us, if you are local and if it is possible. We would be willing to visit you if that were your preference. It is important for a person to know who they are adopting a family member from, and for us to know the family who will be adopting one of our babes. If it were a long distance, we would do telephone interviews, but as Ottawa is close that is not applicable. Should you have questions you would like answered prior to making the decision whether or not you would like to meet our family, we would willing chat with you on the telephone.

It should be noted that we do early neurological stimulation at the age of 3 days to 16 days. Should you wish to read more about it please go to the following link. http://www.breedingbetterdogs.com/articles/pdf/early_neurological_stimulation_en.pdf

Our pups are raised in our home and visited by many persons of all ages. They learn very early to play with toys that stimulate both mind and body. They go up and down ramps, play in tunnels, climb on objects, and play with many different types of toys. They meet our other dogs and go for daily walks (and runs) with their mom, often through the trees and over the rock faces. She attempts to teach them her favourite activities, primarily to watch the squirrels (LOL) . Teka plays and socializes the pups until they leave home. She teaches them many life lessons, for example to respect other dogs, and to come when called. At four weeks of age the pups begin leash training. When they leave us they will have been wormed a minimum of twice and also have their first set of shots (given at the time of their Vet check). We take photos of the babes from the time they are born. We attempt to keep waiting families abreast of their growth and activities. We encourage families to visit the pups. As soon as the babes are old enough they are introduced to the outdoors and will each day spend time outside, under supervision. Of course the weather does have to be taken into consideration, but the babes do need to know eventually that they go outside to potty. At approx. 5 weeks of age the commence crate training, for a few minutes each day, with time gradually being increased. When they go home it is hoped they are sleeping through the night in crates and then going outside first thing in the morning to potty.

Oops, one short note... Our kids are never bred until they have a title at both ends of their name. Our kids must be able to work, we do not want a good looking pup that can not think for itself. It is also of interest that when our kids are retired from breeding, they remain in our home. For example, after being spayed, Teka will return to what she loves to do... Obedience and Rally. She loves to work. So when she is not sleeping on our bed, she will either be training, playing outside, or trialling in an Obedience or Rally Ring. This is her forever home.

Must sign off now, sorry for the lengthy message. As I said a the beginning if I have missed anything, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again for contacting KushNivas cheers ......jane

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Okay, I know I'm a pain in the ass, but I so don't want to make a mistake in choosing a dog. After my last thread, I'm having second thoughts about the breeder I thought we'd settled on and while I haven't completely changed my mind, I thought I'd go back and look at a couple of other breeders that had been in the running. So can you please check out these websites and tell me what YOU see? Thanks.

Help, please!

You are not a pain! Educating yourself is a good thing. I think all the above breeders do a great job. One caveat.... Signet has lovely dogs (love the pedigree of their latest litter), but I would not get a puppy who had Am. Ch. Aftermath It's About Time up close in the pedigree because Addisons seems to come down from him.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I know nothing about any of these breeders, but the response you posted from the first one is fantastic! She really took the time to answer your questions. It's a good sign when a breeder is willing to spend time with you before you get the puppy, as it most likely means they will have time for you after you get the puppy.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

Help, please!

Bah, how could you be a pain in the ass? I know that people probably freaked you out when you were discussing your potential purchase, but that is a good thing (once people gave you reasons as to why you should think twice). I am pretty sure people here are more than happy to help.

Good for you for doing the research and taking the time to ask questions. :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
In addition, we've been incredibly slow at work ('tis the season) and I've been scouring a lot of veterinary journals, etc. and have read a lot about early neurological stimulation techniques. I think it's incredibly beneficial and just amazing!

The breeder that took such time to answer your questions really seems to care about your needs and her dogs.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Wow!! You have done your homework, and that is a wonderful thing. I think any of these three breeders would be a wise choice. I have seen tons of Signet and Kushnivas dogs in Dogs in Canada, and they are stunning. They seem to be doing things right.

It is funny...we can start off looking for someone close to us geographically. and to quote Plumcrazy, end up dealing with one close to us philosophically.

If geography is no longer an issue for you, it would be worth your while to look at Tango and Dawin Poodles. Tango has a male, Soloman, whose kids or siblings are BURNING up the show ring right now!! Their dogs are exquisite conformationally. I know Tango's web site has been sorting itself out this past week because she switched web masters, but my oh my...what a pleasure looking at those dogs!! Darned it...I wish Sawyer didn't have so much white in his background!!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Note about the Kushniva upcoming litter. Ari's sire (beautiful dog!) did bloat and I'm not sure that he is alive anymore. Something to look into.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow!! You have done your homework, and that is a wonderful thing. I think any of these three breeders would be a wise choice. I have seen tons of Signet and Kushnivas dogs in Dogs in Canada, and they are stunning. They seem to be doing things right.

It is funny...we can start off looking for someone close to us geographically. and to quote Plumcrazy, end up dealing with one close to us philosophically.

If geography is no longer an issue for you, it would be worth your while to look at Tango and Dawin Poodles. Tango has a male, Sawyer, whose kids are BURNING up the show ring right now!! Their dogs are exquisite conformationally. I know Tango's web site has been sorting itself out this past week because she switched web masters, but my oh my...what a pleasure looking at those dogs!! Darned it...I wish Sawyer didn't have so much white in his background!!!
Strangely enough, the three I've listed are actually closer than other breeders we've considered! We really do want a breeder that we can visit easily, especially with two young kids to bring along. Toronto is just too far for us.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I can't offer much help in choosing a breeder, but I think it's wonderful that you keep asking questions and are open to learning. So many people let their ego get in the way of that! You're certainly not a PITA!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts