Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jager's adult coat is starting to come in, so I am going to bite the bullet and buy a high velocity dryer. I'm trying to stay under $200. Keep in mind, this is for one smallish (11 pounds) miniature poodle (non show). I want his coat to dry quicker and straighter, but I don't want to blow him off the table, either!

Any comments on these brands?

Pet Edge has these:
Metro Air Force Commander 2 ($122)
Metro Air Force Blaster ($180)
B-Air Bear Power Pet Dryer ($110)

Amazon has this one:
Metro Air Force Commander 4 ($159)

J-B Wholesale Pet Supplies has this:
Metro Air Force Commander 3 ($170)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the b-air bear for my standard and I am happy with it. Sometime the hose comes off though and so I have to twist it back on (counter-clockwise) so it took me a few mistakes to put it back on. Once it's on tight, it stays.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I took the advise of Arreau and I have 2 shop vacs - a small one that is around 2+ horsepower paid $20 and I have the big one that is 5.5 HP and paid $80.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I took the advise of Arreau and I have 2 shop vacs - a small one that is around 2+ horsepower paid $20 and I have the big one that is 5.5 HP and paid $80.
Shop vac as in the vacuum for the garage? How do you find it works? Do you still us it to vacuum as well? Two birds with one stone ;)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Do you still us it to vacuum as well?
Only if you want your damp poodle covered with dust, debris and other stinky stuff that blows out of the exhaust hole!! :scared: :lol:

In other words... NO!!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I bought a shopvac (Home Depot, $35) and ended up taking it back because it only blew cold air. I found that my human-hair dryer with it's warm/cool switch dried faster with less air (and noise). I would like to get a hi-volume dryer. Do any blow warm air (or variable temperature air)?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
As if it's not confusing enough, I heard someone suggest getting a motorcycle blower. Same exact thing, just labeled for motorcycles (in most cases). I just mention it, so you can look for a better price.

I guess my question is there a dryer that wouldn't sound like a jet engine waiting for takeoff?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Shop vac as in the vacuum for the garage? How do you find it works? Do you still us it to vacuum as well? Two birds with one stone ;)
Yes.

It works pretty good. Not fantastic because it does blow cool air until half way through it will start to warm up some.

Ewww NO. :scared:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I bought a shopvac (Home Depot, $35) and ended up taking it back because it only blew cold air. I found that my human-hair dryer with it's warm/cool switch dried faster with less air (and noise). I would like to get a hi-volume dryer. Do any blow warm air (or variable temperature air)?
It does blow cool for a while. I tried the big one and it does work much better, but it does not straighten the hair completely.

·
Registered
518 Posts
all the force dryers will be noisy. the larger more expensive one will be quieter because they have better insulated housing.

We use Sullivan cattle dryers, plus Speedy stand dryers

shop vacs are also good to make your own "clipper vac" system

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Any comments on these brands?
B-Air Bear Power Pet Dryer ($110)
This is the one I have. I compared the air FPM (feet per minute) speed and this one has a high speed of 30,000 which is higher than some of the more expensive ones. My daughter thinks it's a little wimpy compared to the ones they used at the grooming salon where she worked, but agrees that for a home dryer it's head & shoulders above a human dryer (and it doesn't get dangerously hot like a human dryer) The air starts out pretty cool, but as the motor warms up, the air coming out is warm too.

This dryer works well for our two spoos and I think it would work great for a mini!

I don't have any experience on any of the other brands/models. Good luck in your search! :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Petedge brand dryers bare very nice for pet owners. Reasonable prices, good power. Look at that stand dryer that converts to a handheld HV. More/versatility for you. Also straightening has moastly to do with hair products AND close to the skin technique. Start with condensor cone ON,high speed slicker brush whipping super fast, short strokes, eventually removing the cone and bouncing the nozzle ever so close to the skin....one 3 inch section at a time. DO NOT move the nozzlen in wide sweeping strokes. Do sections the size of your palm.....when it is dryand straight, do the next palm sized section.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Petedge brand dryers bare very nice for pet owners. Reasonable prices, good power. Look at that stand dryer that converts to a handheld HV. More/versatility for you. Also straightening has moastly to do with hair products AND close to the skin technique. Start with condensor cone ON,high speed slicker brush whipping super fast, short strokes, eventually removing the cone and bouncing the nozzle ever so close to the skin....one 3 inch section at a time. DO NOT move the nozzlen in wide sweeping strokes. Do sections the size of your palm.....when it is dryand straight, do the next palm sized section.
Thanks, you should post a video:)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Rethinking

I really think I am going to bite the bullet and look into a nice dryer as well. The shop-vac works OK (the larger one) but honestly, I cannot get a nice dry out :(
I need some HEAT.

I have 2 standards and I am helping out with some friends dogs just for the experience and thoughts that I may someday still consider doing some grooming on the side, other than my own dogs.

Any others want to jump in on some recommendations since some time has gone by since this thread was made?

I want heat and quicker drying time. I am open to what I spend - maybe no more that the $300 ish ballpark.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I bought a shop vac for dedicated use as a cheap blaster. It is awkward and noisy, but blows some water off the coat. Recently I finally bought a real stand dryer (lower velocity than a force dryer, but with heat). I bought an Edemco and am very happy with it for the price ($300). I got spoiled using a grooming shop Speedy, so my standards were pretty high.

PA, if I had a mini and had to choose between force and warm air, I would go with warm air. You can always get a cheap shop vac to blow some water off his coat, then put him on the table and work with him with the stand dryer. IMO even the "real" force dryers are pretty noisy and obnoxious to work with.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts