Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to reluctantly add photos of this horrible horrible rash my baby has! Please do bash me! She’s treating like a total princess. She’ll be one on Saturday, we don’t have her groomed very often, she does not scratch these area A LOT. Can anyone identify this or tell me if they’ve seen this before? Do you all think this is detrimental?

·
Registered
282 Posts
What does the vet say?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
It is impossible to diagnose visually but my initial thoughts are that it could be fungal like ringworm or mites like demodex or sarcoptic mange. All are treatable with proper diagnosis. A vet will be able to do a skin scraping to identify the cause. Grooming more frequently would help a great deal in catching skin issues early. It is easy for hair to cover up underlying issues.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If Raindrops isn't correct (I suspect she is), the only time i have ever seem something like that on one of our pets was a cat, shortly after a food change when her hair rapidly began to fall out at her neck progressing down her back and sides, with her skin flaking. Took a few months to get back to normal, but her hair did grow back after we switched foods again.

It can be hard to stay on top of a poodle coat and that fur can hide a lot! - I suggest googling 'line brushing a poodle' so you can make sure you are regularly seeing and checking her skin in the future, and the skin is getting some air circulation.

Hope you can get a vet visit quickly! I know they are swamped here.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I know you didn’t mean it to happen but poodles need to be brushed regularly and groomed at least every 10 weeks. Unfortunately Raindrops might be right so your dog needs vet care. I wouldn’t put anything on her skin as it might make it worse.

Send a picture to the vet and try to convince them to see your dog urgently. I hope it goes well and I wish you the best with your baby.

·
Super Moderator
4,023 Posts
It looks like mange to me. See this article which has photos, and also google images for that. Act quickly in taking her to a vet, this won't go away without treatment and will get worse.

There are natural remedies in this link too which includes how to decontaminate your home, but personally, based on how she looks, I'd go straight for vet treatment.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I initially thought mange too. If you can't get your dog into the normal vet tomorrow you might need to consider the emergency vet. Grooming regularly can save a lot of money when you think of all that can happen if you don't with a poodle.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
It looks like either ringworm or mange. She will need to see vet for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I had a cat once with something similar and it was ringworm, and it is contagious so I'd get her checked asap.

·
Premium Member
24,132 Posts
Oh dear that is very unhappy looking skin. I won't attempt a diagnosis but be aware that mange can spread to people as can ringworm so you really need a veterinary diagnosis asap so that you know if you need to be concerned with that issue. Please reconsider your grooming routine. Regular attentive grooming is really important to poodles and it seems most likely that this situation has resulted from the infrequent grooming.

Reactions: Dechi and Dogs4Life

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sarcastic mange. It is treatable. What do you feed her? You often find this condition with dogs who are not getting enough nutrients.

·
Premium Member
24,132 Posts
Michigan Gal I think you caught a funny autocorrect, scarpoptic not sarcastic. I didn't know mange could have a sense of humor! Anyway for the record so people can look it up...

·
Registered
282 Posts
It’s Sarcoptic.

Reactions: lily cd re
1 - 20 of 24 Posts