Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some help!!! Huans will NOT stay in the gate!!! I made a 6 foot fence of THIS spoo & had barb wire barried under it because at the time, I thought he was digging...well he is not! He jumps over the thing!!! We live in a very small town, so ususally people just come over & tell me he is out. Ok, so then we said fine, he is just going to have to learn he likes being inside. Well... the gate is only fenced on the back, not on the side, so when I let him out to potty, he just goes out. He is very much "my dog" of the family, so he do not go far...well now he will jump into the gate to be with Zeus. Ok, no big desl right...Zeus will not come out of that gate to save his life, I can leavie it open, & he wants no part of the outside world. lol Since Laya has her pups inside, she hates Hauns, & so does George (the human kid) because they think Hauns eats all the food. Well hell, Laya has it, so he wants it. Anyway, last night, I thought George put Huans in the gate. He is a barker at night & would NOT shut up. My window faces the back yard, so ater a few hours of "him' barking, I thought the hell with this, he is coming in. I went to go get him, & poor Zues was my ONLY dog left!!! No big deal, I called for Huans, & he loves me and ALWAYS comes to me. Well Lilly, our mutt was gone too, now she really is snobby & ONLY likes George, so at 12:30 I woke the kid up to help me find the dogs because Huans would not come. I did tell you our town is small right? (like 400 people) & we are in the desert. So, I thought oh **** a coyote got my Huans!!! We drove EVERY single road! I have had his old nutso owner come steal him out of my gate before too, anyway I am pretty upset by now. Poor Zeus was calling of them!!! Anyway, at 2 AM we are really tired, & George says, go home they will come back, so I did. They are not home. Ok, now I am bringing Zues in the house to crate him because Laya hates all dogs at this point. Mind you Zues has NEVER been crated because he is an outside spoo if there ever was one. So, I give him a pig ear to get him in the crate. HE HATES THE CRATE!!!! the pups are starting to get loud, & now Zues is crying like a baby. I can't let him out what abut the puppies? AAHHHH!!! ??? Ok, we get through the night, George is skipping school (sshh) Now I am cheicking e-mail & here comes Hauns & Lilly!!! Lilly goes to Georges room, & my poor Hauns comes and sits by me like always. I have to love on him, I am so glad he is back!!!! Now, I have to make him move. HE CAN'T WALK!!!!!! what the hell???!!!! Ok, I am calm CALL THE VET!!! I say..well yell (the vet is my bestfriends dad) I look at my poor Hauns who is standing now. Ok, when he gets out he LOVES to go into the brush, now when I say brush, I mean thorns. Why? I pick a few thorns out, & clean his feet. He has gotten some bad thorns before, but never to where he cannot walk. I need your help, what else do I do to keep him out of the damn catus & mesquite? We have no grass here, I think that is why he goes there. IDK I have to do something. He goes to the vet Monday, tomarrow is the stock show, so he will be out..... Oh, & even with the thorns out, he can hardly walk!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I wouldn't put them out into the fenced yard anymore if it isn't secure. If there are gaps or parts of the yard that aren't fenced, you'll have to address that... You could put them out on a chain with a twisted stake into the ground to hold them. Just make sure the chain does not reach the fence, because if he jumps the fence while on the chain, he will hurt himself seriously. Before we had our fence installed, we walked Pixie 3 times a day to give her exercise & potty time. And if the thorns are on your property, you should kill that plant altogether. I don't know if this helps, but goodness -- I felt like I had to say something -- What a time you are having!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Is there any way to put Laya in YOUR bedroom with door closed, then let the others into the house? Keep Laya's food in the room she is in, and feed the others outside 2 times per day until you get the fence fixed?

You will have to address their potty breaks by taking them out on leash, or staking them out NOT NEAR THE FENCE...for safety reasons.

Sounds like you may have to break down and buy a kennel (chain link 6 foot tall one) like they sell at Meijer's, Tractor Supply Company and other large chains for them to go potty in!

Then when the fence is fixed you can use it for when the puppies need their own litter ULTRA secure area for outside potty training...they sell covers so he won't be able to jump out even if he climbs the sides.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Sounds like all of you dogs are calling the shots in your house! You need to become the pack leader. I would suggest you exercising them more, this will probably stop half of the problems. Second you need to start training them when called. Usually they don’t come to you because they do not see you as the leader. So I am positive once you become the leader in their eyes they will not have any desire to run away to jump the fence.

As for the barking you need to correct them if you want the barking to stop. You have to be diligent with all of them. Do they pull you on walks ? how much exercise do they get ? do they jump all over you when you come home ?

My gsd could clear a 6-7 foot brick wall easily but she not would jump over it with out a command or me allowing her to. We also had a 4ft brick wall that she could get over but she would never leave because she respect the rules in my house.

when she was 1yr she did jump it a few times because she has Separation Anxiety but she would wait for us on the porch. We got her out of that quickly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dog trainer swears by one of those overhead line systems (like a clothesline but stronger) for her dogs...or you could try an invisible fence if you can't trust them inside/can't crate them....

I don't know what would work for you...but, gah! It is so scary that your dogs aren't staying home what with the coyotes and even just the thorns!

I hope you find a good solution quick, before it drives you crazy!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fence is closed at all sides it just doesn't come up to the side of the house. anyway that doesn't matter he jump over. I have no trees or grass go the back no where for him to get hurt but across the road is the field me nightmares! he gets out by jumping over them goes to the field

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry about the previous post I am on my phone again. ok we are getting hauns a tie as much as I hate that and putting laya in the wash room. I wanted to keep her in my crafting room so she could get away from the pups on a mini break but she will do fine. as far as walking the dogs they don't pull and we are going to walk them more. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Double check the laws in your area, it is illegal here to tether a dog outside and leave them unattended. Not that it stops a lot of people, but they do issue fines here if somebody reports it.

You need to make yourself the most interesting thing in your dog's world so that when you call they are happy to come to you. Careful not to call them to you for any kind of correction. Think of it this way, if I call you over to me and then smack you upside the head you are likely to think twice the next time I call you right? The fact that the dogs aren't comming to you has nothing to do with you being the "pack leader" or not, and everything to do with the fact that what they are doing at that very moment is simply more interesting that you are. If they are running around having a good time, sniffing new smells, investigating this or that and you call them they are likely to take a message and get back to you later. How about teaching them a word that means treats or their favorite toy. In my house the word is Cookie, and it means just that cookies. If I so much as whisper it anywhere near my dogs I have their instant attention. I teach students in my classes to teach a magic word like cookie to hold them over until their dog's have really good recalls.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that sounds fan-freakn-tastic! I love having a dog trainer as a friend! I just bought some dog cakes too. I will start that tomorrow

·
Registered
616 Posts
Double check the laws in your area, it is illegal here to tether a dog outside and leave them unattended. Not that it stops a lot of people, but they do issue fines here if somebody reports it.

You need to make yourself the most interesting thing in your dog's world so that when you call they are happy to come to you. Careful not to call them to you for any kind of correction. Think of it this way, if I call you over to me and then smack you upside the head you are likely to think twice the next time I call you right? The fact that the dogs aren't comming to you has nothing to do with you being the "pack leader" or not, and everything to do with the fact that what they are doing at that very moment is simply more interesting that you are. If they are running around having a good time, sniffing new smells, investigating this or that and you call them they are likely to take a message and get back to you later. How about teaching them a word that means treats or their favorite toy. In my house the word is Cookie, and it means just that cookies. If I so much as whisper it anywhere near my dogs I have their instant attention. I teach students in my classes to teach a magic word like cookie to hold them over until their dog's have really good recalls.
so how do u make yourself fun??

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
There are several ways to do it I suppose. In my house I am the bearer of all good things. Food comes from me, treats come from me, toys come from me, you get the idea. When I leave a room the dog's follow because if I am gone nothing fun happens. School is always in session in my home, we never stop training. If the dogs follow me into the bathroom to supervise me, (guess they wanna make sure I wash my hands?), I take the opp. to tell them to sit and stay or down and stay. Or if we go out in the yard, after everyone has had a chance to potty, I toss a toy and work on drop it or give and in Jazz's case we work on bringing to toy back to me since I want to reinforce the retrieve for obedience later. I have the dogs do a few behaviors like twist, or shout, or heel or whatever comes to mind before throwing the toy. We make all of our training one big game. Thats not to say that my dog's don't get time to theselves to just relax and be dogs, I'm not at the 24/7. I have one or two toys that are always out for them to play with when I am busy, and we cuddle on the couch and watch TV or read and just enjoy eachothers company. However, I controll and retain "ownership" over all the really good toys that they love, and things like bones. They only get those for short periods of time and only when I am around. If I leave, the really good bone leaves and now you have to chew on the Kong or the sterile bone.

As for the magic word, I think I have mentioned it before on this forum but I am not sure. It is the backup for when my dogs are in a highly stimulating enviroment, like at a show for example, and I am having trouble getting their attention or when "Wonder COME!" isn't an option. I am not in the habit of giving a cue that I cannot 100% enforce. I don't use the cue COME unless I am prepared and able to 1) go and get the dog if they don't comply, or 2) I can physicaly make them do it wether they really wanted to or not - ie they are on a leash and I can "reel them in" so to speak. If neither of those two apply to the current situation then I use "cookies!!". The reasoning behind not using the word come unless you can back it up is that i you say Hauns come and Huans is not on lead or in a closed in space where you can enforce the cue he may very well decide that he would rather do something else other than come back to you. "Hauns Come!" wasn't a request in your mind but you can't enforce the command sooooo Huans learns that he doesn't HAVE to come when you call unless he wants to. He learned that you don't mean what you say, and that complying is optional. I NEVER repeat myself when I give a cue. Dogs believe it or not can learn to count, and if you are in the habit of giving a cue for sit three or four times before the dog responds or you make him respond, the dog learns that the cue for sit isn't "Huans sit", like you thought it was. Instead the cue is "Huans Sit... Sit.. Sit.. Hauns please SIT!!". You get the idea? Like having a kid you tell to go clean their room, and they dont do it until the third time you ask, they know they don't have to :p

Ummk guess I've written enough and probably I should get to work. Had to take a break because my very first client of the day it's umm let see just after 7am, made my head want to explode. @$$hole!! I come in today three hours early and he has the nerve to tell me he doesn't have time for paperwork and could I just hurry up and take his dog, who is the big fat lab that I have no idea how I am going to lift into the tub bymyself since I am the only one here this early in the morning being that the shop doesn't open until 10. Anyway, I had to hop on the 'puter and calm down before getting started so I wouldn't be at risk of taking my frustration at the owner out on the dog.. poor dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts