Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious did anyone else here hope their poo would grow to be a little “too" big lol? Tekno has such an adorable frame but also feels very delicate. When we went to the vet and he had put on a full LB in a few weeks, I was so happy 😁. I never thought I would wish for an oversized toy but I feel like if he can at least make it to 7-8lbs that would be really be good for him or at least a muscular 6lbs (my min pin is 5lbs but all muscle and feels like a little brick 😂). Also on the height, he’s just so pretty and leggy I think he would still be lovely if he was a little over 10” he’s pushing right up to 10 now so we shall seeee. We plan on doing performance sports so being on the robust size is a-ok with me :p. Anywho just something that was on my mind 😄 Anyway here’s the goof being silly in his PJ’s

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
He’s a real cutie.

I remember my minipoo when she finished growing was so thin and bony. Then she spent many months putting on muscle, not fat. While she will never be solid muscle like some breeds, she filled in nicely. My daughters rough collie went through that same phase of adding muscle after she reached her adult height. I think your Tekno will also.

Reactions: Phaz23

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I was hoping for oversize initially but once I learned the advantages of moderate size in miniatures, I was like oh no maybe you should stop! As it is Misha is right at the 15" height limit. For toys doing performance sports, I would guess you would want to stay under 11 inches to remain in the 8" agility height class. People prefer to have a dog at the upper end of the range for their height class so it may be advantageous to avoid slipping into the 12" class. Of course Misha didn't pay attention to that and he looks so tiny next to the border collies he will compete against. But he has never knocked a bar during practice so I think he will be fine!

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping for the opposite! “Please stop growing please stop growing please stop growing” has been my mantra. Lol. And Peggy listened for a full 6 months before having one last massive growth spurt. The nerve.
😂

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How old is he ? If he’s 10 inches at 3-4 months old then he’ll surely be oversized. :)
oh dear no haha, he would be massive 😂 He's 6 months old and hasn't been getting any taller since I got him, just putting on some weight 😁

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping for oversize initially but once I learned the advantages of moderate size in miniatures, I was like oh no maybe you should stop! As it is Misha is right at the 15" height limit. For toys doing performance sports, I would guess you would want to stay under 11 inches to remain in the 8" agility height class. People prefer to have a dog at the upper end of the range for their height class so it may be advantageous to avoid slipping into the 12" class. Of course Misha didn't pay attention to that and he looks so tiny next to the border collies he will compete against. But he has never knocked a bar during practice so I think he will be fine!
Oh yeah I definitely don't think he's going to go over 11 unless I feed him really really good :LOL: I think he's going to be just a touch over 10"

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He’s a real cutie.

I remember my minipoo when she finished growing was so thin and bony. Then she spent many months putting on muscle, not fat. While she will never be solid muscle like some breeds, she filled in nicely. My daughters rough collie went through that same phase of adding muscle after she reached her adult height. I think your Tekno will also.
🤞🤞🤞

·
Premium Member
6,982 Posts
My toy Leonard is 11"tall and 6 1/2 pounds which I am happy he is at, he filled in so slowly. At 18 1/2 weeks he was 9" and 4 pounds

·
Registered
183 Posts
Winnie is max height mini at 7 months and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she hasn't stopped growing. I would love her to be oversized. She is a heavy lump. At 6 months she weighed 7.5kg (16.5 lbs) yet she is lean and athletic. I want to weigh her again soon to see how much she has changed in a month. I find it really hard to measure her height now. She is 15 inches for sure but she won't let me check anymore and doesn't stand up straight and still for long enough for me to measure her. Even if my husband holds her she wriggles too much to get an accurate reading and I don't want to make her uncomfortable about it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm with Peggy, and a few others in the SPOO arena

"Please no more, please no more, please no more"

Basil's hovering at 43# (19.5kg). We have seen other SPOOs in the neighborhood who are ~31# (14kg), 50# (22kg), and 62# (28kg). For my lifestyle, 43#s is the perfect amount. Our walks are a healthy dose of fresh air. It's plenty of SPOO with enough to share. Yes it's what I signed up for, what I want, and wouldn't trade what I have for anything else.

With that said.. from a cost saving perspective, I'd rather size down for a smaller poodle, like a MPOO. Less appetite = smaller bill.

From a social perspective in the city, I'd rather go for a MPOO. There are more small-medium sized dogs around. I wouldn't have to work as hard to find playdates who have similar energy levels. But, when there's a will there's a way and it's still doable with SPOOs. Ive ran into plenty of good playdate buddies like random atoms colliding in the universe.

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
319 Posts
I'm with Peggy and Basil for the SPOOs. Fenris is 42# at 5.5 months and I realized that I love his size and keep telling him "please stop growing, please stop growing". He seems like the perfect size for agility right now, he fits perfectly into his crate, and can almost manage legs on my shoulders when I tell him "up". I'm hoping he doesn't get any big growth spurts from now on. I really wish moyen size was an official thing in the US, minis are too small but hopefully the predicted 60# of Fenris won't be too much for me.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If I had the space, time, and resources, I’d have a toy, mini, and standard poodle! I plan on owning each size.

I also wish Moyen was an official size in the US. I believe the height standard is 14-18.”

I knew when I got Lacey she’d be on the smaller end of the mini range, but it didn’t stop me hoping she’d keep growing taller! I do like that she’s light enough that I could carry her up and down the stairs if needed. My house has a lot of stairs. She seems delicate yet sturdy at the same time. It’s hard not to worry about her safety out in the world since she’s such a small dog.

At 1 year 7 months, Lacey is about 12” tall and 10 lb. She’s filled out and looks like an adult, but that didn’t fully happen until after she was a year old. According to my measurements she stopped growing in height around 6-7 months, although it’s so hard to get accurate measurements on puppies. Tekno will definitely become more sturdy and possibly grow in height too!

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If I had the space, time, and resources, I’d have a toy, mini, and standard poodle! I plan on owning each size.

I also wish Moyen was an official size in the US. I believe the height standard is 14-18.”

I knew when I got Lacey she’d be on the smaller end of the mini range, but it didn’t stop me hoping she’d keep growing taller! I do like that she’s light enough that I could carry her up and down the stairs if needed. My house has a lot of stairs. She seems delicate yet sturdy at the same time. It’s hard not to worry about her safety out in the world since she’s such a small dog.

At 1 year 7 months, Lacey is about 12” tall and 10 lb. She’s filled out and looks like an adult, but that didn’t fully happen until after she was a year old. According to my measurements she stopped growing in height around 6-7 months, although it’s so hard to get accurate measurements on puppies. Tekno will definitely become more sturdy and possibly grow in height too!
😁 😁

1 - 20 of 20 Posts