Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your poodle air snap when he wants to play or gets excited? Galen does it a lot. Typically he brings me a ball and backs off two or three steps. Then he huffs out a big breath to get my attention, snaps his teeth a couple times, and stands expectantly staring at me. If I ignore him he will huff again, snap a few more times, and perhaps poke the ball to make extra sure I get the point. I've had a few other dogs do the occasional air snap, particularly my childhood poodle cross mutt, but none with such persistence and enthusiasm.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
How cute! It sounds like he's found a way to communicate his desires to you. Misha doesn't do it. He does have one unique thing which is the SNEEZE. He sneezes usually to indicate frustration, and will often use it in play. Sometimes my boyfriend sneezes at him and he will sneeze right back. They engage in a sneeze off that can go on quite a while.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
It is a riot that Misha and your DH have a sneezing party.

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How cute! It sounds like he's found a way to communicate his desires to you. Misha doesn't do it. He does have one unique thing which is the SNEEZE. He sneezes usually to indicate frustration, and will often use it in play. Sometimes my boyfriend sneezes at him and he will sneeze right back. They engage in a sneeze off that can go on quite a while.
That's hilarious. Snarky and Pogo would sneeze in play. They mostly seemed to use it as a calming signal. One of them would break off and sneeze, and the other would pause for a few moments before resuming play. They would also sneeze at me if they got over excited while waiting for me to get ready for a walk. Snarky sometimes sneezed after I played a trick on him or after I'd done something like dress him up in reindeer antlers.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Puppy Peggy was the air snap queen. It actually worried me at first, and I posted about it here.

Once I realized she was only trying to communicate, I worked on teaching her better ways to get what she wants. I also stopped some small things I was doing that increased her frustration, such as making her sit longer than necessary when we played fetch. That one tweak (recommended by @Poodlebeguiled, I think) was a game changer.

Her impulse control just naturally improved as she matured. I didn't need to push her so hard/give her reason to rehearse that behaviour.

Now she does it once in a blue moon. And I just snap and huff back at her, which she seems to think is quite fun.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That's hilarious. Snarky and Pogo would sneeze in play. They mostly seemed to use it as a calming signal. One of them would break off and sneeze, and the other would pause for a few moments before resuming play. They would also sneeze at me if they got over excited while waiting for me to get ready for a walk. Snarky sometimes sneezed after I played a trick on him or after I'd done something like dress him up in reindeer antlers.
That does sound similar to how Misha uses it! He has used it to indicate impatience as well as frustration. I think poodles are so good at finding ways to tell you their feelings. They often end up inventing their own signals which is really quite miraculous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts