Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new on this forum, and new to poodles. My male miniature poodle Frodo is just over 10 weeks old. I must admit there are some puppy issues that I find challenging.

1) Play biting
He is focused on my hand and arm for play biting. This is making it difficult for us to develop an affectionate relationship. For example, I tried playing dog frisbee, and he would get it, come back, and we'd tug it until I won and tossed it again, but then he begins focusing on my hand trying to bite it. Example two, I'll get down on the floor with him to try to just mess around, and he will very shortly begin to go for biting my hand. I withdraw the hand and stop playing, and then restart moments later to try to communicate that biting means there will be a stop in play, but he doesn't learn to stop the play biting. He was nipping at people's heels when we wear short pants, so we had to shift to wearning long pants all the time (which seems to prevent this nipping at people's heels).

2) Wild
His energy level shoots up, despite our keeping to calming activities such as treat balls or Lickimat. He starts running around, and can't concentrate on anything. Often this high energy period will last for an hour or more. We can't figure out how to calm him (cause if we get close he may play bite), so we just let these high energy periods burn themselves out.

3) Lost interest in chew sticks and toys
Last week he loved chew sticks such as bully sticks, but this week he won't stick with them. Chew sticks were great 'pacifiers' for him and occupiers for his time. What does he do with his time now instead? Follows me or wanders around. He does like feeding puzzles or working for his food such as having to roll a treat ball to get the food to come out.

4) Loyal but not affectionate
He will follow me, lay at my feet, and whine when I have to leave, but he doesn't lick my face or my hands. He doesn't seem to enjoy much the attention of being petted or having his belly rubbed. As mentioned, what he wants to do with me is play bite. I must say this is very sad for me, because I would like my dog to be affectionate. I don't know if this puppy behaviour will change and he will be come more affectionate as he grows up.

5) There's not a lot we can do together at this time to build a positive relationship
We're together all day as I'm now retired and I hoped this dog would be a retirement companion for me. We have the opporutnity to enjoy oodles of time together if we could work out how to do it in a mutually satisfying manner. However, this puppy doesn't like to just mess around on the floor with me in a calm, happy, and affectionate way. Instead, he focuses on my hand for play biting. We can't play more than few minutes of dog frisbee or tug of war. He doesn't seem to like to be held, though he tolerates it for short periods. Aside from him following me around and sleeping at my feet, it seems like we live separate lives (though I have to watch over him).

Some people tell me that poodle puppies just need more time to learn to be calm and settle down. The words 'high strung' come to mind to describe his temperament. His breeder I suspect didn't play with him, so all he knew when we got him was playing with his littermates. Yet, I'm told poodles are smart dogs and learn fast, but he isn't learning how to fit in to the lifestyle of his human owners. I'm feeling like I'm his servant, for example as I watch over him for his body language for when to take him outside for him to do his business (and the house training is something that is going well), and I'm feeling I've lost my freedom, as for example he whines when I leave him and I'm a bit fearful of separation anxiety developing so we're trying to take that in small steps (again I feel a bit like his servant).

Any tips from those of you have survived raising poodle puppies, welcomed.

Thanks.

Frank

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy. Take heart, it gets better from here. Puppy biting hands, clothes, fingers, anything that moves, is developmentally normal behavior. It sucks, but it's normal. Wild crazy, particularly around sunset, is also developmentally normal. Normal does not mean it's easy, or much fun. But, it does give you an idea that you'll have a wild child on your hands for a little while.

Find a puppy class. Even if your puppy hasn't had all their shots, a puppy class will help you know what to do when , _ and __ happen. In the meantime, search YouTube for videos by KikoPup, particularly her videos on puppies. Here's one to get you started.

·
Super Moderator
2,596 Posts
Hi Frank and welcome. You have my full sympathy. Poodle puppies are selfish little fanged monster toddlers. They want you to wait on them and entertain them. Catering to their wants and needs is exhausting. Fortunately, the investment now pays off later. They eventually do outgrow the baby monster stage.

It's a really good sign your pup is following you around. Your bond is already starting.

A 10 week old puppy needs a lot of sleep. You will probably find the worst nipping happens when the puppy is over tired. Everyone will be happier if you can get the puppy onto a feeding and nap schedule. This will help housebreaking as well as behavior. For the next couple months the puppy should probably get a morning, afternoon, and possibly early evening nap. Work the meals and playtime in around the naps.

If you haven't already, check out the Ian Dunbar Before and After You Get Your Puppy books. He gives a lot of very helpful advice on things you need to work on at certain ages, including appropriate mouthing. One of the socialization windows closes at around 12 weeks, so Click-N-Treat's suggestion of puppy kindergarten is definitely something to look into ASAP.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Hi, I'm new on this forum, and new to poodles. My male miniature poodle Frodo is just over 10 weeks old. I must admit there are some puppy issues that I find challenging.

1) Play biting
He is focused on my hand and arm for play biting. This is making it difficult for us to develop an affectionate relationship. For example, I tried playing dog frisbee, and he would get it, come back, and we'd tug it until I won and tossed it again, but then he begins focusing on my hand trying to bite it. Example two, I'll get down on the floor with him to try to just mess around, and he will very shortly begin to go for biting my hand. I withdraw the hand and stop playing, and then restart moments later to try to communicate that biting means there will be a stop in play, but he doesn't learn to stop the play biting. He was nipping at people's heels when we wear short pants, so we had to shift to wearning long pants all the time (which seems to prevent this nipping at people's heels).

2) Wild
His energy level shoots up, despite our keeping to calming activities such as treat balls or Lickimat. He starts running around, and can't concentrate on anything. Often this high energy period will last for an hour or more. We can't figure out how to calm him (cause if we get close he may play bite), so we just let these high energy periods burn themselves out.

3) Lost interest in chew sticks and toys
Last week he loved chew sticks such as bully sticks, but this week he won't stick with them. Chew sticks were great 'pacifiers' for him and occupiers for his time. What does he do with his time now instead? Follows me or wanders around. He does like feeding puzzles or working for his food such as having to roll a treat ball to get the food to come out.

4) Loyal but not affectionate
He will follow me, lay at my feet, and whine when I have to leave, but he doesn't lick my face or my hands. He doesn't seem to enjoy much the attention of being petted or having his belly rubbed. As mentioned, what he wants to do with me is play bite. I must say this is very sad for me, because I would like my dog to be affectionate. I don't know if this puppy behaviour will change and he will be come more affectionate as he grows up.

5) There's not a lot we can do together at this time to build a positive relationship
We're together all day as I'm now retired and I hoped this dog would be a retirement companion for me. We have the opporutnity to enjoy oodles of time together if we could work out how to do it in a mutually satisfying manner. However, this puppy doesn't like to just mess around on the floor with me in a calm, happy, and affectionate way. Instead, he focuses on my hand for play biting. We can't play more than few minutes of dog frisbee or tug of war. He doesn't seem to like to be held, though he tolerates it for short periods. Aside from him following me aroun d and sleeping at my feet, it seems like we live separate lives (though I have to watch over him).

Some people tell me that poodle puppies just need more time to learn to be calm and set tle down. The words 'high strung' come to mind to describe his temperament. His breeder I suspect didn't play with him, so all he knew when we got him was playing with his littermates. Yet, I'm told poodles are smart dogs and learn fast, but he isn't learning how to fit in to the lifestyle of his human owners. I'm feeling like I'm his servant, for example as I watch over him for his body language for when to take him outside for him to do his business (and the house training is something that is going well), and I'm feeling I've lost my freedom, as for example he whines when I leave him and I'm a bit fearful of separation anxiety developing so we're trying to take that in small steps (again I feel a bit like his servant).

Any tips from those of you have survived raising poodle puppies, welcomed.

Thanks.

Frank
OMG, love that you named your puppy Frodo! I have a 9 month old spoo, our first 2 months were extremely frustrating for me as a non-stop bite-fest (for my puppy, that is). I don’t think, assuming our dogs have a typical poodle temprament, that I would describe your puppie’s behavior as high strung. Rather, he’s just trying to play in the only way he knows how at his age. What helped me was tug toys, teaching fetch, regular, brief training sessions, and tiring him out. Having said that, there was just a huge amount of biting, and mouthing.. of everything. Felix became a cuddler because when he’d get sleepy, I’d hold him on my lap, but it took a while to get there. He’s also got a very sweet personality, but it was not always evident when I was being terrorized by his inner Land Shark.

It does get better! You may want to keep a journal of your progress with your puppy to see how things change over time. The only time Felix “bites” me now is to gently close his teeth over my hand briefly—his signal that he wants to play. I now have a 65 lb dog who frequently comes to me for cuddles, even wants to climb on my lap still—and I let him! 😀

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
115 Posts
Fanged monster toddlers! 🤣 oh my goodness this is so true! I'm sorry that you were not aware that the honeymoon period is not always fun, often painful and mostly thankless! IT DOES GET BETTER! Poodles are smart and can be trained to use a bell on the door so training is better. Accidents still happen but the bell is a communication tool that they will use. Teeth are a huge part of puppy hood and except for sticking a chew toy in their mouth and removing yourself from the area you just have to be super patient and know it gets better.
We are their servants/caretakers and everything they need or have we supply.... kind of like our children. Our pup is my girl. She likes my daughter (29) and my husband but she loves me. My husband wants the same relationship he had with our old poodle girl and is very sad it's not happening yet and all I can tell him is give it time. He was still working when Indie was a puppy 14 years ago. He really only was around her 24/7 the last 3 years. She adored him in her later years and it was very sweet but that happened naturally and can't be forced. I feel bad for him but for now he's just the resident toy and play mate. That's not a good thing. Sitting on the floor and getting her riled up means I have to step in and try to calm her down when she loses control. Most of the time that actually means it's time for a nap and crate time. We all need and appreciate that nap break because while Winnie is in her crate we aren't entertaining or needed to watch her. Most of us have experienced some or most of what you're going through. It does get better. Use the search bar and read old threads. You will see you are not alone and your pup is normal. We are here for you and Frodo. Please post a pic so we know what your sweet boy looks like. 😊🐾💙
Cindy, Winnie's mom

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Frodo!

Yes, it's all normal, and will get better. This is an article to help new owners see things from their puppy's perspective.

The land shark phase continues a while. Try to always have something at hand (pardon pun) to trade out for yours. The excitement of the play style may be feeding the land shark.

It's never too early for Frodo to learn a few commands or even tricks which tires out the brain as much as the body. Short sessions a few times a day will help.

Limit free time and unrestricted access. Think overwrought toddler and enforce naps. I've not had children to raise but I've seen more than a few comments over similarities in this early time.

Affection and cuddling isn't high on their list. Yet. When it comes, you won't be able to sit without a poodle draped over you.

Many more links and help in this thread

and commiseration here :)

Poodles are not like any other breed. Referring to the adult version, but one of my favorite quotes on poodles is

"Poodles are Labs with a college education. My Poodle will do anything
your Labrador will do. After a day of retrieving in the field, your Lab wants
to curl up and snore in front of the fire. My Poodle wants to be a fourth at
bridge and tell naughty stories."
Anne Rogers Clark, the famous handler, all breed judge and Poodle
breeder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Puppies behave just like toddlers, and poodles are high energy. Just like kids, they experience (as my wife called it with our kids) "the storm before the calm" in the evenings before crashing out. It was almost shocking to me how similar our dog's and kids' phases and changes were. Yet also, the treatment of them is pretty much the same too.

As others aid, the puppy biting is normal, and our attempts to train him away from it were futile. We just started putting a sock or soft glove on during play. You'll also find that his next set of teeth isn't as sharp, and he'll figure out how much pressure is too much. Our Toy figured out most everything on his own. Poodles are smart. Just ride it out and it'll be fine.

Also, the evening zoomies will chilld out, but the boundless energy never goes away. It may decrease if he's neutered, but ours isn't so I can't say for sure. I like his energy, though. Wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Super Moderator
2,596 Posts
Great comments, everyone! Attached is a pic of Frodo, the "selfish little fanged monster toddler". I must admit to being in a bit of the 'puppy blues' at the moment. I will carefully review all your comments.
View attachment 474247
Ooh that mischievous toothy puppy grin reminds me of my boy at that age. I got very good at shoving a rope toy into the gaping maw.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Love that picture- he's a beauty- a toothy land shark I'm sure, but a beauty! His pic brought me back to Gracie's puppyhood as well. Lots of great advice here- and I'm sure it helps to hear it is absolutely normal.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,822 Posts
Great comments, everyone! Attached is a pic of Frodo, the "selfish little fanged monster toddler". I must admit to being in a bit of the 'puppy blues' at the moment. I will carefully review all your comments.
View attachment 474247
This pic is so relatable!! Puppy blues are a real thing and I promise they get better. :) You’ve got a wonderfully supportive community here to help you through.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Everyone has given great advice. At this stage it does feel like you are their servant, especially with the constant vigilant potty training, and it's tough when you don't feel like you're getting much of the companionship you want back. That will change! That picture - toothy grin and crazy eyes! I remember that not-long-ago stage. Frodo is an amazing name! I'm sure Frodo will soon start to become a better companion.

·
Registered
760 Posts
One thing I would do to make this phase suck less during playtime is curl the tips of my fingers in while holding on to toys... Like you would if you were cutting a carrot or an onion with a sharp knife.

And, if I was holding on to a bully stick for Basil like an anchor, I would stick my thumb out against her cheek so her jaws couldn't get close to the tender parts of my hand. The distance was like a buffer... No surprise pinches.

Well, I still do this. Bully sticks are more fun when Dad holds it still.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,822 Posts
Cute pics, @Basil_the_Spoo! And good advice. I recommend doing anything you can to keep those tantalizing appendages from being more interesting than toys and chews! This also means moving slowly and deliberately, and even freezing if someone’s teeth have already clamped down on you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts