Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried not to be too graphic in the tread title. I have noticed that Poppy has started licking alot in her vulva area. At first I thought she had went into heat on me, but luckily that was not the case. After looking around to see what was going on I noticed there is some hair on a fatty section of skin just behind her vulva that was laying in the vulva entrance. It was pretty yucky and I clipped it to get it out of the area, but I know it will grow back. I pointed it out to her vet and she said they sometimes see this and it could lead to reoccuring UTIs and had just done plastic surgery on a 3 year old lab who had a similiar issue.

My question is this-
should I have that area of skin removed when I have her spayed. Estimate is $200
or
is it something that the groomer should shave every time and that would eliminate the problem?

Have any of you had the same issue with your females?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no comments, but a lot of readers. Anyone have any advise? If you were in the same situation what would you do?

Groomers- is that an area you generally shave and should that take care of it?

Not sure what to do, Please help!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Sorry I just saw this now.
I had this procedure done on my old greyhound girl.
It was messy and a tough recovery, but worth it.
She had constant burning infections around the area before we had it done.

I would do it, but I warn you, the recovery is a bummer.
Then again, my greyhound was very delicate and sensitive, and she had a slight clotting disorder, so she bled a LOT.

However, after she healed she never had another issue with it.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Sorry - I am one that read this too and did not post but I have no clue on this, but to say, I WOULD do it when your vet does the spay, I would think it would be a tad cheaper.

God luck.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
If you were in the same situation what would you do?
I can't tell YOU what to do, but I can tell you what *I* would do (and why)...

If my veterinarian (who is also a friend, and someone I trust completely) recommended the surgery, I would not blink an eye as I made the appointment - especially if the procedure would be combined with something like a spay surgery (I try not to have my pets put under anesthesia more often than necessary)

I'm counting on my pets to be with me for a long, long time and I would weigh the pros and cons of having the issue permanently resolved early in my pet's life for $200 against having to perform regular maintenance for the lifetime of my dog (with the penalty of any laziness on my part being paid by my dog when she may get a painful UTI)

I'm not generally a lazy owner and I love to do things with my dogs (including grooming) - but I wonder if 5, 8, 9, 12 years down the road; I might start getting complacent about trimming up that "area" especially if there hadn't been any problems - I can see myself forgetting to do it or something and then the dog would be the one to suffer...

If it were me in this exact situation, I would not hesitate to have the surgery done in conjunction with the spay - understanding that the recovery time may be a little rougher, but the problem will be remedied permanently... IMO...

·
Registered
159 Posts
It sounds like she has a recessed vulva, which I have some experience with.

My Mini Schnauzer had one as well, and was prone to UTIs. I kept the area shaved, wiped down, and she was on crap-caps, all of which greatly reduced the number of UTIs that she was having.

I am not sure if Poppy has already gone through a heat cycle or not, but if not, I would wait to spay her until after she has had one. My vet had us wait because he said the hormones and swelling from going into heat will correct 9/10 recessed vulvas and then there would be no need for surgery. My Schnauzer just finished her first (and last :D) heat, and her severely RV is completely normal.

I would recommend doing some reading because alot of vets are not familliar with RV's.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html
http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/recessed-vulvas-must-t7337146.html

If she has already been through a cycle, then I would definitely get the surgery.

Good luck

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have to say that I've never heard of it - but I'm going to be reading up on it! If you have gathered up enough information and feel you want to go ahead with the surgery, then I'd definitely do it while she was under general anesthetic for something else. I don't think I'd put my dog under anesthetic just for this though.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I read this earlier but didn't have time to comment either.

I agree with calidani, if she hasn't had a season yet, definitely let her have one season first, as often this will naturally correct it (their vulva swells when they come in season, and it can change the position etc and often won't go back down to being as tiny afterwards too) you can still get her spayed after her first season, and if the vulva is still a problem, THEN I would definitely get it done. I wouldn't be getting anything done before letting her have a season first though, just in the hopes it'll fix itself without needing any extra help!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to poke you all for posts, but I thought surely there is no way someone on her had not experienced it. As always I really appreciate all responses even if it was to the what would you do and really, really appreciate the responses from those of you who have knowledge of it.

Poppy has not had her first heat yet. I did not think about the heat changing her vulua area, but it makes perfect sense that it would:doh: I was going to get her spayed before her heat, but now I might just wait to see if it corrects itself. If not I'll get it corrected when she is spayed.

I have never had a dog go into heat- what should I expect out of her first? I did see some pics of the pull ups being used and like that option, but what else should I be prepared for? Hubby would rather not deal with it, so I need detials on how to make it less of an impact on thigs at home.

thanks bunches!!!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
When Taffy had her first heat, her vulva swelled so large it scared me but my sister assured me that it was normal. The first signs of her heat that I noticed were watery blood spots being left all over the floors in the house!! Other than that, she showed no signs of anything being different.

Dianne uses the pants made for bitches with the liners in them. She really likes those. I intend to get a pair for Taffy for her next heat. They do not 100% prevent your female from being bred though so you still need to keep her confined and go out with her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts