Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if most everyone has plans for their dogs to be taken care of just in case something bad happened to us, their human caregivers. I was also wondering if there is any way to legalise those plans so we can make sure that our canine family will be taken care of and not just dumped at the pound etc. I have papers drawn up for my kids, which my x husband and I both signed, which says who will raise our kids if something were to happen to both of us. Is there something like that for pets? What about plans for someone to take care of our animals in the event that you end up in the hospital short term?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Very good questions--for cats and other pets too. If anything happened to me, someone in my family would take Teddy and Mickey, and if no one in the family could do it, my boss would. But, of course, if I don't put that in writing, it might not happen the way I would want it to.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Im pretty sure there is some way you could put it in your will or something. If something were to happen to me Riley could go with my family, co-workers, friends, etc. He would fit in anywhere and everyone loves him and would take him. My cat would go to my family or brothers, Maybe a friend.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My parents have it in their wills who takes care of what...

My Pop has in his will that whomever takes the cats will also get a set amount of money to care for the cats (if they were to live til like... 16) from his life insurance. My mom has the same kind of thing in place for the dogs. I think Pop put it best... if he is putting in his will for someone to take on the burden of HIS pets, he wants it to be at least taken care of financially.

Mom is a lawyer, so everything is witnessed and notarized. However, it is considered legal if you hand write it and sign and date it, as well. (At least in the few states I have lived in, check your own state to be sure.) I have a hand written will that gives my stuff/takes care of my babies. (If my mom ever sees it, she'll be pretty mad! lol)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
We have it in our puppy/ adoption contract that you sign when you get a dog from us that in the event that something happens to you the dog does not become part of your estate and is returned to us. We had a problem with it a few years ago and it was a huge mess. The family wanted to sell the dog, that I still owned by the way lol, back to me for a god awful amount of money because she was a champion show dog... yet they didn't even know what breed of dog she was. *eye roll* If I didn't buy her they were taking her to the shelter or putting her to sleep themselves. Basicly if they couldn't get anything out of her then she should go :( It was ugly for a couple of days but thankgoodness for paperwork and a good lawyer who shows and breeds dogs :p

If I should suddenly vanish from the earth for any reason I my mother would take Howie and would try and take Wonder but I don't know if John would give Wonder up. I've already talked to my mother and she will also take both the spoo's unless John wanted to keep Jazz and either keep them or place them locally with good families that she could keep an eye on. Never thought about making plans for mojo the guinea pig and I assume my husband would keep the cats.

My mom has it in her will that I am to take her dogs and either keep or place the ones I do not own/co-own depending on my situation. I also have two other friends that have it in their wills that I will take their dog and a breeder who has it in her's that myself and my mother will see to the care of hers should she pass on. I think it's a good idea to think about those things ahead of time. Thought I am getting nervous every time I fill out paperwork for the hospital there is a check yes or no box asking if you have a living will... Uhhh no, why? You planning to kill me??

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
As Spencer said, my parents have it in their will that their estate and dogs go to me (as an only child). My mom and I have discussed it and as they only have one dog right now, I would keep her. However, we also have some friends of my mom's who have dogs who would take the dog if for some reason it didn't work out with me. When I have my puppy, I will also include him in my will with him to go to my parents first and if that wasn't possible to friends.

So it is possible to address your pets in your will, and neccessary I think. While you can hope your friends and family would follow your wishes, sometimes they don't know what those are or are so grief stricken they can't. Having it clearly laid out makes it much easier.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't have anything set legally, but my mom and I have an agreement that if anything happens to us, she will take the dogs too. Cricket absolutely loves her, and would die of a broken heart otherwise. Cricket is super attached to me, and the only other person she feels the same way about is my mom. My mom isn't even a dog person, but she loves Cricket. She is super attached to her, and I'm sure she would take Clover as well. Thankfully most everyone in my family is tight-knit, and love dogs, so I really think no matter what they would make sure they were cared for and loved. They would never just dump them at a shelter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts