Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have an unexpected day stuck in the house since all classes at my campus were cancelled today. Between noodling her and talking to a few people by email I have been plotting a campaign with Lily. Those of you who show in conformation definitely show what I mean, but for everyone else campaigning a dog is taking him or her out on the road to events with the goal of a title(s). You can campaign for a Ch, GCh or for obedience, rally or agility or for that matter almost any sort of title.

Based on our success in my club's rally trials this past Saturday (RM title leg in the morning and a triple Q in the afternoon trial) I have decided to campaign with Lily for a Rally Champion title (RACh). There is some strategizing and budgeting involved along with looking at venues, judges and travel requirements (one day there and back, hotel required, need time off from work).

Under the best of circumstances this is an expensive title to get. You need to get 20 triple qualifying events. That means you have to enter the Master, Excellent B and Advanced B classes and hopefully qualify in all three of them every time for a start. Separately you need to accumulate points with 300 required, but 150 of those from the Master class. Points only come from scores in the 90s (five points for 91-94, six points for 95 and 96, 7 for a 97, 8 for a 98 and 9 for a 99 with 10 for a perfect score of 100). It looks at my planning so far that some clubs are offering a deeper discount for a triple class entry than they tend to for double class RAE entries (but not all of them). For example it generally is around $30 for a first entry and 27 or 28 for a 2nd entry, but I just sent entries for a trial where it was $75 to enter for the three classes.

It helps that I know a lot of the judges who circulate around the Northeast from having shown to them in the past or from stewarding for them and therefore have a pretty good read on who has a very sharp pencil and who is a little more forgiving.

Separately I have to think about whether to take Javelin and enter him in obedience if there also is obedience available. I need one more leg for his Beginner Novice title, but would probably do some bumper legs too. If he is not entered then he will stay home since at some places there is no crate space for unentered dogs.

So far my plotting for this has involved several AKC event searches for the various states I am willing to travel to, making a spread sheet that I will use to track legs and points, emailing a couple of trial secretaries to ask some particulars not revealed in the premium and making a calendar for sketching out dates fo trials I am seriously considering and a couple I have already entered. If I enter everything I am currently looking at and we get every triple Q we enter for we might be able to get the 20 legs by the end of July. I am not sure where that will put us on points but we got 21 points over two trials last Saturday. The maximum points you can get from one trial is 30. It will be a big stretch to think we would come close to that at least as we start out.

Phew, what am I thinking? It sounds exhausting just to type about it. Anyway aside from having a bit of cabin fever and needing something to do I thought those of you not familiar with the concept might find it intriguing while you wait for the 2nd prime time broadcast of Westminster.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Wow, so much to plan and strategize. I know rally is fun for you both. As a talented team already in fine form, you've made a great start already.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Wow, this is exciting. I’m living vicariously through you and Lily and will be cheering you on.

I bet when you started out with Lily in competition obedience you never dreamed you would be doing this.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Wow!! That is amazing! A plan is needed for any type of campaign and sounds like you are getting everything under control! You know we will be cheering you on every step of the way!

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow!! That is amazing! A plan is needed for any type of campaign and sounds like you are getting everything under control! You know we will be cheering you on every step of the way!

I knew you would understand what I was talking about.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
“I knew you would understand what I was talking about”

I definitely do! I thankfully had my breeder who did most of the coordinating of Luna’s show career. But even when I was showing Luna before she went with her handler, I remember sitting down many times and figuring out what shows to attend, costs, closing dates and the whole nine yards. I’m so thrilled for you guys to be heading on this path.

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Wheww-eee! I will be following your journey with much interest. Both Lily and Javvy are remarkable dogs. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
It sounds quite ambitious. While you are up & able to do all these things go do them. You always have great stories of everything you do with Lilly & Jav. I'm looking forward to reading about your journey.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The difference between campaigning a conformation title and an obedience or rally title is that for conformation you can send the dog out with a handler while that is a close to zero prospect for a companion sport. I do know a very small number of people (one or two) who have given their dogs over to other people to title, but they also have paid that person along the way to train the dog. So all is on me to be the other side of Lily's team, fun but hard sometimes.

Right now I am focused on March and April. Then I will do a trial on Long Island in early May before the Indy 500 trip. Before we head west though I will set up for a few events in June and July.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just adding my two cents here for the one competition type I know inside and out. To get certified for tracking is relatively simple but to get into tests is very hard. Usually (I have been chairperson and secretary for numerous tests) it is by lottery and hard to get in. So plan on several tests in a row to enter once you are ready to test, because you can always withdraw. If you get lucky and get drawn somewhere you still have to pass the test so it is nice to have another one lined up. You CAN pass a TD on your first try (not at all unusual) but the hard part is getting in. It gets even harder further down the line. TDX pass rates are probably around 20% and VST pass rates are 3% - and the chances of getting in are increasingly harder too. So many dogs age out of tracking at one point because they just don't get into the more advanced tests - just not enough clubs holding not enough tests which tends to be a massive money loser. Have fun planning your campaign it sounds wonderfully challenging and exciting!

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moni yes I do have to interweave some tracking training and then get a certification track done somewhere in the middle of all of this. I currently have the weekend of March 23/24 open and will try to get up for the tracking practice you mentioned to me elsewhere. I also need to pull out my tracking stuff and leave it in my vehicle so I can practice when we have free moments in different places. The advice to try to get into several tests at roughly the same time makes sense in the event that we don't get in or don't pass on the first try. Since Lily is ten I am not sure we would go past a TD and since I don't see myself climbing rock walls or fording little streams myself if a TDX is in the future I would probably ask someone else to run her on it. VST I could handle myself for.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Moni yes I do have to interweave some tracking training and then get a certification track done somewhere in the middle of all of this. I currently have the weekend of March 23/24 open and will try to get up for the tracking practice you mentioned to me elsewhere. I also need to pull out my tracking stuff and leave it in my vehicle so I can practice when we have free moments in different places. The advice to try to get into several tests at roughly the same time makes sense in the event that we don't get in or don't pass on the first try. Since Lily is ten I am not sure we would go past a TD and since I don't see myself climbing rock walls or fording little streams myself if a TDX is in the future I would probably ask someone else to run her on it. VST I could handle myself for.
TDU is a neat title that is easy. It is just like a TD but it has more urban elements (read asphalt aka parking lots). That should be easy for you to train on campus and is the basis for the VST later on. TD is to TDX what TDU is to VST - it is the same thing basically just longer and more complex. The water element is usually just a little swampy patch and they make you go throw some woods and maybe over a stone wall or two. The challenge usually is to keep up with your dog and not get the lead tangled up.. btw lost and found at the university is a gold mine in terms of articles.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yes I do see those relationships between TD/TDX and TDU/VST. My issue for TDX is my bad knee and the idea of keeping up with either of the poodles. They both can pull like freight trains when their nose is on a scent.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I look forward to following your campaign! I keep imagining those troop movement maps from the Civil War. I suppose you could map out your ring strategy that way, if you were VERY bored in a motel room some evening. ;)

My own campaigning will stay pretty local. It would be nice to pick up some UUDX or PUDX legs and maybe even a regular UD leg or two this year, but so many obedience plans can go sideways...

We need one Q to finish Grad Open and two Qs to finish RM. Then I'll peck away at RAE legs to finish #3 and then just enter the occasional local trials to support the clubs.

Good luck and happy planning!

Marguerite

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well.best of luck! Since I will only go to SOTC /fairgrounds, it will probably take us decades to get titles:ahhhhh: (IF Wildman ever calms down enough to focus on me),and I am not that well (and am old!).

Are YOUR SOTC trials that much smaller that you can hold 2/day? The ASCA group here does 2/day,but we run all day,from 8a-5p or later for AKC. I would never attempt RACh w/Che,as it was hard enough to get him motivated for Ex/Adv for his RAEs. Thus, I would say if you can get Lily to do 6 classes/day,that would be the way to go. I know nothing of the judges for June/Nov here,but hope to see you soon!

Martha et al

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Martha I do plan to be in Syracuse in June. Our rally trials do tend to be small. We only had five master dogs in the AM trial and four in the PM trial last week for example. We started at nine and finished a bit after four. Thankfully it isn't like looking for OTCh points and needing a big class to get a decent number of points, you just need to take care of your own scores to get your points. The disadvantage in a small trial is that you don't get much down time in between classes.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
How exciting to see this!

I just logged in to my AKC account to see if our Qs from last week were processed yet and although they weren't I did see that the retroactive RACh points have been, so even without last week we have 17 points with 11 of them being Master points. Once last week is added in we will have 38 points and 16 Master points.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts