Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
It probably doesn't matter which kind unless he's overweight then I'd get him fat-free. But even then it's not much fat. Personally I get Sunny (and me) Dannon Vanilla yogurt in the big tubs, I don't even know if it's fat-free or not.

~Haley

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Probably the difference is not huge. I'd go with the full-fat variety too unless the dog is overweight.

Vasco ADORES yogurt. We save our most difficult training for when I have an empty yogurt pot. Said yogurt pot is very quickly the cleanest item on the planet, while black poodle ends up with a yogurt beard and moustache.

·
Registered
681 Posts
HAHA Kodi Loves yogurt too. JE- I put yogurt into a squeeze bottle so I can take it with me to use in training. He can lick it and not get yogurt on his nose too!! And that helps if the yogurt isn't empty. I buy Dannon fat free plain. Sometimes it goes on his food, and he gets some if his tummy is upset. But now I use it mostly for training.

I don't get cottage cheese because it doesn't fit out the squeeze bottle, and I don't like it, so it would never get finished.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I would go with full fat or low fat, not fat free. None of my dogs will touch fat free anything....smart dogs!!! My dogs love, love, love Trader Joe's greek style yogurt, especially vanilla flavored and it's so good for them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
All mine get plain, either low fat or full fat. It depends on what's on sale, you can't always find the full fat. I don't feed flavored or sugared yogurt.

And thanks KC for the great tube tip! I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I put yogurt into a squeeze bottle so I can take it with me to use in training. QUOTE]

This is brilliant! Thanks for the idea - I think I am going to try this :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My breeder recommended full fat. I get full fat plain yorgurt just for him (I eat something else), but I get low-fat cottage cheese because I also eat that and I hate fat-free cottage cheese.

Jager gets a tablespoon of yogurt with his kibble every morning and he loves it! I give him a tablespoon of cottage cheese every so often. Sometimes I'll give him some cooked plain chicken with his kibble or a scrambled egg (his favorite).

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That squeeze bottle idea is brilliant!!! I will try that too.

Neither my husband and I eat cottage cheese so Nickel can never finish that 8oz tub all by himself. And hubby only eats TJ's greek yogurt (full fat) so I guess Nickel will be sharing that with him and I will continue to have my own fat-free plain yogurt then.

Thank you for all your inputs.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
HAHA Kodi Loves yogurt too. JE- I put yogurt into a squeeze bottle so I can take it with me to use in training. He can lick it and not get yogurt on his nose too!! And that helps if the yogurt isn't empty. I buy Dannon fat free plain. Sometimes it goes on his food, and he gets some if his tummy is upset. But now I use it mostly for training.

I don't get cottage cheese because it doesn't fit out the squeeze bottle, and I don't like it, so it would never get finished.
What a GREAT idea! I'm stealing that immediately ...

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would go with full fat or low fat, not fat free. None of my dogs will touch fat free anything....smart dogs!!! My dogs love, love, love Trader Joe's greek style yogurt, especially vanilla flavored and it's so good for them.
I also love TJ !! I use the Organic whole milk yogurt - plain

·
Registered
681 Posts
Someone on my flyball team gave me the squeezee bottle idea about a year ago. We were trying to find a treat he LOVED. He's a very pickey eatter. I was like Duhh... what a good idea.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Based on everyone's feeding suggestions, I am going to try the greek yogurt on Murphy. I have tried regular yogurt and he won't touch it. But, he LOVES cottage cheese.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What's kind of funny is that they get their yogurt on their dinner kibble and not for breakfast. They are perfectly happy eating their non-yogurt garnished breakfast, but try to feed them plain kibble for dinner and they act like they're getting bread and water jail food!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
At times I give KEFIR to my dogs. It is like Yogurt but contains much more probiotic and is sour in taste but very healthy like a good quality yogurt. It can be purchased in health food stores. It is organic too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts