Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pippin had a fine needle aspiration of a swollen lymph node in his neck on Monday - the vet has just phoned with the results, and as we strongly suspected it looks as if Pippin has a tumour in the nasal cavity, and the lymphoma has already spread into the lymph node. We could do more investigations to confirm it and stage it - x-rays and biopsy, both requiring a general anaesthetic - but as the treatment options would be far too invasive for the vet to recommend or me to contemplate we have agreed palliative care with meloxicam and antibiotics. His vet thinks he may be OK for some time, but I am already aware that he is slowing down even further.

I am sad of course, but he is 18 years old and has had increasingly severe arthritis for the last 10 years, and I have been aware of his life becoming smaller and less rewarding over the last months. While he is eating reasonably well and not in pain, we will take each day as it comes. One more summer, or at least a few more weeks of lazing in the sun…

·
Premium Member
24,239 Posts
fjm I am sorry to see your sad news, but think you and your vet are being very sensible and generous with the plan to palliate rather than to aggressively treat. I wish you nice quiet days ahead and hope pippin will be able to make decision day clear and peaceful.

Reactions: Mfmst and fjm

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
Aww. I lost my last cat to intestinal lymphoma. He hung in there for a surprisingly long time, though he became skinnier and skinnier due to the cancer reducing his inability to absorb nutrients. I really should have let him go sooner, but he was just such a sweet tempered excellent cat.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,023 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this, fjm. Best wishes to Mr. Pippin-cat.

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
971 Posts
Sad to hear the news. Remember all the good years you've had together. Hopefully when the time comes, you will both be at peace. Your love will last forever. Sending my love.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I’m sorry to read this, so sad…… but I’m glad you’re avoiding unnecessary invasive work and heading straight to palliative care. The best gift you can give Pippin.

Aww. I lost my last cat to intestinal lymphoma. He hung in there for a surprisingly long time, though he became skinnier and skinnier due to the cancer reducing his inability to absorb nutrients. I really should have let him go sooner, but he was just such a sweet tempered excellent cat.
I felt the same way about my boy who had lymphoma, I kept hoping for one more miracle but that last trip to the vet had none and I regret not putting him to sleep earlier and at home.

We love our pets and wish they could live in good health with us forever.

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Sad news, fjm, I'm sorry. I think your plan for him is filled with kindness and love, just like you've always given him.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm so sorry---I hope there will still be some comfortable days ahead for Pippin. It is never easy to say goodbye, especially after a long companionship. My thoughts are with you.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Pippin, you are very much loved. Fjm, I'm sorry to hear this.

·
Premium Member
13,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was talking to a neighbour about Pippin yesterday, watching him sprawled in dappled shade in our shared courtyard, and she said what a perfect life he has had. It is true. There have been some bad moments - he was hit by a car when he was young and nearly died, and for a while a neighbours' Bengal cat beat him up whenever they met, but mostly he has had acres of grounds and fields and woods to roam in, warm places to doze in, and plenty of food and love. We want them to live as long as we do of course, but 18 mostly happy years is a good score for any cat. I am trying to focus on that...

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Sorry to hear, 18 years of a good life and hopefully the time he has been given will indeed be as blessed. It is exactly what I would do too. virtual hugs.

·
Premium Member
10,062 Posts
Sad news for Pippin, your intrepid hunter that brought his kill to your bed. 18 years is astounding and you are so right to hang onto that. Wishing him plenty of dappled sunshine naps as he moves on. Hugs from Houston!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts