·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is wrong with this!!!??

Boulder says no to pink poodle
By Mike McPhee
The Denver Post

Cici is naturally white, but her owner, Joy Douglas, dyes her to raise awareness of breast cancer. Some who saw Cici complained to the Humane Society, and Douglas got a ticket. (Special to The Denver Post )Related
Pink Poodle
Mar 11:
Boulder's pink poodle owner preps for legal fightPink poodle gets owner trip to courtEven in Boulder, there are some things that just aren't cool.

Like coloring your poodle pink with beet juice to raise awareness of breast cancer.

Joy Douglas, owner of Zing Hair Salon at 1100 Spruce St., has received a $1,000 ticket from an animal-control officer for coloring her white poodle, Cici, pink by using organic beet juice.

"We do it to promote awareness of breast cancer," said Douglas, 30, who has owned the large hair salon for three years. "Cici is a conversation piece. Customers come in and ask why the dog is pink. So we tell them about breast-cancer awareness, about the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and then we ask for a donation."

Douglas didn't want to guess how many thousands of dollars the dog has raised for breast-cancer awareness nor the value of all the $65 haircuts she's given away free to cancer survivors.

But not everyone who sees Cici is happy, and some customers called the Humane Society of Boulder Valley, whose commissioned officers enforce the city's animal ordinances. One ordinance prohibits the coloring or dyeing of animals, a law that went into effect about five years ago to discourage families from dyeing rabbits and chicks for Easter.

"We've received a number of complaints about the dog," said Lisa Pedersen, director of the humane society. "We've been out to talk with Joy several times. Finally, we gave her a ticket to let the courts decide the issue."

Douglas will appear in Boulder Municipal Court on Tuesday morning after a rally she and her friends will hold outside the courthouse at 8 a.m.

"This is a misrepresentation of what animal control is supposed to be," said Douglas, who drives a pink scooter, a pink car and now is looking for a lawyer to represent her and her pink dog. "This doesn't hurt Cici at all. We color her about once a week to keep it bright. She's fine."

Pedersen agreed that the dog appears to be well-cared for, except that she's pink

·
Registered
554 Posts
I heard about that...part of the reason hubby was mad because of my pink girl. I don't think we will have a problem as I didn't find any laws against in my state or city laws. We live outside the city limits so I don't think they could say much about her anyhow.

The real story is WHY most places started a law against dyeing your dog...it is because a lot of places (pet stores, feed stores, ect) were dyeing their bunnies and chickens pink, yellow, green, blue, ect to make them sell easier for Easter.

It is sad how the laws can get twisted around to hurt those who are only trying to help a good cause...

I, for one, do plan to keep Dolly pink until Valentine's Day and I will also do it again and keep her pink for a couple of weeks of breast awareness month...my hubby's grandmother was a breast cancer survivor and I am sure she would have LOVED seeing a pink poodle.

I hope that she is able to keep her Cici pink (or any other color) as long as she wants, but I am sure that the laws will not allow her to do so.

Sad, huh?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am at work now, & studying for a big test, but in between I am looking at the forum & my spoo babies. I was showing them off to one of my bosses & someone else chimed in & said how cruel that is to the dog. I told them they for one do NOT know how much work goes into grooming a poo & how often it needs to be done. At this point I was looking at creative grooming... anyway, I explained to them how hard & much work it is. I told them to do that type of grooming on top if it, the dog has to be well trained, therefore loyal to the master, clean, therefore taken care of. so on & so forth... anyway, my boss is now looking st getting one of my pups & wants me to try craetive grooming. She is a HUGE Eagles fan, & wants a mohack & it colored green!!!! Who knew!!! She loved the nin:flypig:ja turtle champ!!! Everyone did & the buffalo!!! Poos are magic dogs!!!:flypig:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, the silver lining is that she just raised breast cancer awareness nationwide instead of just in Boulder due to that fine :p

Afaik, you dye chicks by injecting the unhatched, fertilized eggs with dye...iirc, it lowers their hatching (i.e. survival) rate significantly.....(We had the option of dyeing our eggs in my high school biology class and that was how it was explained to us).

Not quite the same thing as organic beet juice...hehe.

I have seen those poodle paints at places like petedge.com....and I doubt I would ever do it, but pink poodles for breast cancer awareness is a pretty novel idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it's ridiculous. Why don't people focus their energy on animals who actually need help, instead of complaining about someone dyeing their dogs hair pink to help support a good cause.

What's next someone is being fined and has to go to court because their dog got sprayed by a skunk, so they bathed the dog in tomato juice?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, you never what dumb S^^^t they will come up with next! My grandmpther died of breast cancer, & I think that the cause if fantastic!!! I am going to do that too!!!! Hell, let's have a pink poo for brest cancer club kinda thing, see how many people we can getto do it to raise the awareness... I am in EMS & it is my "job" to teach, what better to teach than prevention. I would love to know that because my dog was pink for a month that I saved your grandma's life because she got her mamogram!!!! Come on guys, what do you think?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would love to see all white poodles world wide dyed pink for breast cancer awareness month. Wouldn't that be great, and in places that ban this type of thing they could have a rally or a walk and bring them all out. Now that'd be a sight to see :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
actualy I think if you do your homework on this case, which is not really all that reccent, you will find that the dog wasn't dyed for any kind of cause at all. It was just because the lady wanted to - which is fine. Her employee's also said that she had forced them to dye the dog with manic panic not the beet juice she was claiming to have been using, which local lawmakers looked down on. In fact the case was only a big deal because she had been warned repeatedly not to do it again but local authorities and I beleive she had been fined before as well.
Anywho, supposedly now the dog is white again and last I heard local lawmakers were looking into erasing the no dyed pets law off the books since it was outdated and not really needed.

I'm actualy not allowed by state law to dye Jazz, BUUUUTTT the law isn't enforced and it would also apply to those fish that are tatoo'ed and acid dipped in dye to color them artificial. These poor fishies are sold at all the local petshops here, except petsmart, and EVEN WALMART! Haha, I'll agree to leave Jazz cream if they file suit against walmart of the fish. The way the law is written you aren't even allowed to transport an atirficaly colored animal across state lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts