Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is now nearly 4 weeks old (on Tuesday) and his nose is still very pink, I am going from pictures alone here as I have not met him yet, I will meet him at 5 weeks.

All the other puppies in the litter seemed to be born with black noses except mine, when can I expect his nose to fill in? He only has 2 very small black speckles at the moment.

Also what progress should be expected by 4 weeks?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It doesn't, actually, because recessive genes can pop up in any of the offspring. If there are browns in your puppy's ancestry, for example, he could have a liver colored nose that won't ever turn black, regardless of how his parents and siblings look.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Unfortunately what you see is what you get. Pigment typically comes on by the first 3 days and certainly by the first week. I would expect that puppy to keep that nose color.

I have seen this sort of partial pigment on Partis before.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
REALLY?

I have never seen a picture of a parti poodle with a pink nose as an adult

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would GUESS the nose would likely stay pink..... Olie got the pink too - he looks like he has a pig nose! Black would be preferred but We love him all the same though. I have seen some parti's w/pink noses before.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yeah I would too.......my BF didn't get Olie from a breeder and he spent manybe $300 on him VERY worth it we LOVE LOVE him, almost perfect dog lol! But if I were getting it from a breeder at the prices some charge (reasonably so) but a fault such as a pink nose..........yep I would say something.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well he will be a film dog and having a pink nose really wont help him get work, I will have to consider the other 2 boys that are still available

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm not trying to be rude, but you've got career plans for a puppy who isn't even ready to leave his mother? I don't think you're going about this the right way.

Like I say, not trying to be rude, but...

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
REALLY?

I have never seen a picture of a parti poodle with a pink nose as an adult
Couldn't find any pictures of Poodles, but this site has a number of examples of Parti Labradoodles with broken nose pigment (scroll down to Black & White section)

http://www.valleyviewdogs.com/parti-labradoodle-puppies.htm

Normally I've seen broken pigment where the black nose has blotches of pink on it. In your puppy's case, it seems to have gotten a big dose of whatever causes this so that the majority of nose is pink only a few dots of black are left.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I work in the film industry, any dog I get will be trained for films, I am not going about it the wrong way at all, this is my job.....

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Well he will be a film dog and having a pink nose really wont help him get work, I will have to consider the other 2 boys that are still available

I wasn't going to bring it up but since you did.....:)

This would be one of the downsides to selecting a puppy, based on color pattern, when it is only a few days old.

Really, if you are going to try to do film work, there are a bunch of other factors to consider. I would think that temperament, drive, and work ethic are going to be very important things to consider. After all, your dog can be cute as a button, but if it runs from the boom and won't hit its mark, it will be useless as an actor.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for the pictures Cbrand, I will speak to the breeder, when I googled it it seemed to say that puppies noses blacken until about 13 weeks but I trust your opinions too so I will have to see what the breeder says.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All of the previous litter have very sound temperaments and so do both parents so I am not worried about him being too timid.

I am just worried about his nose.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I am just worried about his nose.
Yah, I would be too. One last thing I have noticed about my own admittedly limited sample of 4 White/Cream puppies.

The puppies who were born with black nose pigment, kept their black nose pigment. The one puppy born with a pink nose that turned black around day 3 ultimately ended up with a "snow nose" that lost its pigment.

Just one more piece to think about.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts