Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get ahead of the game for Emily's coat change. She is 5 months old and I expect that her coat will be changing in a few months. I've been reading the horror stories with matting so I want to make sure I am prepared. I have been looking around at different brushes and I want to get quality brushes to start with.

I am going to invest in the Chris Christensen Buttercomb for Poodles and have also been looking that the 27mm gold series pin brush. Problem is they are a little pricy. Even with the 10% coupon code I found. I don't mind spending the money but if you had to choose a pin brush or a comb to start which is the better choice? Also I've heard some people say they like the #1 All systems pin brush from petedge. Is there really a big difference between the two pin brushes?

I've also been looking at getting the Les Poochs Silver finishing brush, but thinking maybe I should get the comb/pin brush first.

For Shampoo I've been eyeing Plum Silky since it already has a light conditioner in it and Chris Christensen Ice on Ice for daily brushings.

What should I start with? It would be expensive to purchase all the products at once. Do you have any recommondations?

·
Registered
575 Posts
In my opinion, you need both, BUT if you can only pick one at this time, then the comb is a MUST! I love the CC pin brushes (never used the All System ones) and the LP Silver brushes. Don't know what I'd do with out all these things. Personally, I never use a conditioning shampoo on curly coated dogs where I'll be doing must scissoring because it can make the hair limp and hard to stand up. My favorite shampoo for curly coats is the Isle of Dogs Stand Up, it really crisp's up the coat and makes scissoring or clipper-comb trimming, SOOOO much easier and gives you a much nicer finish.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I don't think you need the CC stuff. Why not just pick the regular generic brand combs and All System brushes? I think I paid like $12 for my pin brush and $10 for my greyhound comb. I would also get a Poodle comb and a good slicker brush.

Edited to add that I have successfully grown 3 full show coats using these cheaper option brushes and combs.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I don't think you need the CC stuff. Why not just pick the regular generic brand combs and All System brushes? I think I paid like $12 for my pin brush and $10 for my greyhound comb. I would also get a Poodle comb and a good slicker brush.

Edited to add that I have successfully grown 3 full show coats using these cheaper option brushes and combs.
Do you have any links to where we can purchase these online?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
My online source is petedge.com Make sure that the pin brush does not have balls at the ends of the pins. Those CC wide tooth combs are nice, but really, is it that hard to just use the wide end of a regular greyhound comb?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
very true about the cheaper tools. If you don't YANK like a maniac and hurt the dog, the teeth wont bend and come out....so get any comb that has wide spaced teeth on half and closer teeth on the other half. Go to Tractor Supply or any Pet something. I made due for about 5 years, maybe more till I found the Les Pooch brushes. Until that, I used Safari brand or any other $5-$10 brush. If you only want to buy one decent shampoo, that plum silky is very nice. Unless you are scissoring a stand-up show coat, my opinion is to soften the coat with conditioners....it helps so much with de-tangling coat change fur.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have the CC comb and brush that you mention. While I'm not crazy about his shampoo and conditioner products, I do really like the brush and comb. I use the comb on Jasper's coat daily and the brush more when fluffing after drying.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Use a daily grooming spray (which can be Isle of Dogs diluted conditioners) prior to brushing, as well and you will find that the brushes practically glide through...their detangler works wonders. I cannot see going through coat change without these products.

Yes, I am promoting them! i have a Les Pooch brush as my "emergency mat treater," but I use pin brushes and combs with slickers on the cape and legs...course I have show dogs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used PetEdge and other cheaper tools and the tines fell out...the quality is not in the cheaper brands, but if you want to go that route, then you will learn in time that those brushes and combs do not last. I DO own the finishing comb from PetEdge and it is nice, so I would only be picky r/t pin brushes and slickers. I like the CC T brush too, but have not bought it yet. I have the "poodle" comb, which is the wide spaced comb with the wooden handle and long, firm tines. I loved this comb with my boy in coat change...while in show coat...he had a massively thick coat and I spent hours brushing him daily.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All Systems do not compare with CC brushes IMO. There is another option. I was told of a brush that was a superior pin brush to CC pin brushes...Madan Pin Brushes.

You can find them at Laineeltd -- Search results
These brushes seem to be moderately priced and I have heard other good things about them. There are so many though, do you know which one is recommended for poodles?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

This may sound silly but what do you mean by poodle comb? Is that a different kind of comb other than the greyhound from petedge?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Sorry to butt into this thread, but is the poodle comb better to use than a greyhound comb? Or it's just easier with the handle? Just curious....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got the largest one...with the longer tines. (I believe it was @ 22.00...they have it at PCA every year...I bought wraps and wrapping bands and bands at the same time...) A poodle comb is a widely spaced LARGE comb with a handle...the tines are rounded long tines and the backbone and handle are wooden. It is VERY strong and useful for the first go-through on poodles, as it will not break hair, but will separate hair that want to form into mats.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A poodle comb has MUCH wider tines and longer tines. It is VERY strong and easier on the hand with repeated use, like when someone combes a poodle daily. I have 3 combs...a poodle comb, a regular grooming comb that has 1 inch tines and is simply stainless steel, and a finishing comb made of aluminum, lightweight for use when scissoring or the final comb. I have 2 slickers, a Les Pooch brush, a CC brush and just bought a Madan brush on line that is supposed to be even better than the CC brush...also the CC T brushes are really good.

·
Registered
225 Posts
These brushes seem to be moderately priced and I have heard other good things about them. There are so many though, do you know which one is recommended for poodles?
:dito:
I have the same question. Which brush is best for poodles?
(I really like the pink color.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it depends on the length of hair you are dealing with...if you are not sure...e-mail Wayne and he can recommend a size for you.

Wayne Baker - Lainee Ltd.
1771 Lenape Road, West Chester, PA 19382
ph. 610-793-2925 fax 610-793-2926
[email protected]

He went to PCA, so will be able to recommend a brush for you based on what you need to do with it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks so much!!:flowers: *Which brush do you prefer?*

I think it depends on the length of hair you are dealing with...if you are not sure...e-mail Wayne and he can recommend a size for you.

Wayne Baker - Lainee Ltd.
1771 Lenape Road, West Chester, PA 19382
ph. 610-793-2925 fax 610-793-2926
[email protected]

He went to PCA, so will be able to recommend a brush for you based on what you need to do with it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts