Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I do not have a poodle, I am involved in health-concerns of the english cocker spaniel. I was google-ing JRD and found a link to this forum.

The reason I have registered for this forum is because of the discussion regarding JRD. Among some cockerbreeders there is uncertainty about the accuracy of the dogenes test, you seem to have more insight in this matter.

Hope you will tolerate a non-poople-person. :)

Regards,

Pien

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Welcome to our forum! No problem, being able to discuss the problems/diseases that are common in other breeds certainly helps all breeds. Hope you can find the info you need and enjoy being with our large family here! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the moment I am helping a group called "spanielbreeders" to gather information on this subject.

In english cocker spaniels there has been about 20 cases (last 20 years) of JRD in sweden. They called it PNP later it was revealed te be JRD. Because of an other kidney disease in cockers (FN) many kidney-failure-cases were diagnosed FN, never investigated if it might have been JRD. The 20 cases in Sweden where different from the FN-cases, parents were tested clear of FN, or a biopty showed they had JRD. So there might be more.

At this moment there is a lot of talk about the JRD-test of Dogenes for cockers. As far as we know there is one englisch cockers who has died of JRD tested positive) and two heterozygote carriers (who producered 2 JRD pups, thay did not test the pups as far as we know). There are breeders now who have started to test fot JRD at dogenes. But the question is is this test accurate. Dogenes reveals no testresults of the affected (dead) dogs. Untill now no-one at dogenes gave any evidence : thay are only saying the test is OK.

At a penetrance (mortality-rate???) of 5% and maybe the possibility to throw away al large breedingstock for nothing, I want to collect as much info as possible about this test.

I found out the test fot JRD had been around for 4 years, but I have not heard from anyone about any hard evidence testresults. I was wondering if you believe in this test and do you have evidence that it a good test (for poodles ofcourse) so that we get a better "view" about the dogenes company.

I do not know how (and how many) JRD is affecting poodles, so more info would be most appreciated.

If you have more questions I will answer them.

Hope you understand my "dutch"-english :)

Pien

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
My story with JRD testing.

I had my foundation bitch tested when she was around 4 yrs old. The test had just come out and it had been promoted heavily at our National Specialty Show (testing available at the show!). I did the testing, I thought, as a formality because my bitch was healthy and showed no signs of kidney problems. In Poodles, JRD is typically fatal by age 2 and if the dogs are not dead, they are usually very ill.

I was surprised and horrified to find that my bitch came back as "affected". I started to do research and find that many, many breeders who had never produced JRD also had test results showing that their Poodles were JRD affected.

I understand that my bitch could possibly be JRD affected and asymptomatic, but she has 26 FULL siblings and non of them has ever come down with JRD. Sabrina also has 12 offspring on the ground who are 3-4 yrs old respectively. None of these Poodles have JRD. I would think that if my girl and her siblings carried the a double copy of the gene, then some of them would have ended up with JRD.

To date, the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), our health testing clearing house, has refused to post the results of the DOGene JRD test because they have said that the results have not proved to be accurate.

As a breeder, I will not be using the DOGenes JRD test until it has been approved by OFA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My story with JRD testing.

I had my foundation bitch tested when she was around 4 yrs old. The test had just come out and it had been promoted heavily at our National Specialty Show (testing available at the show!). I did the testing, I thought, as a formality because my bitch was healthy and showed no signs of kidney problems. In Poodles, JRD is typically fatal by age 2 and if the dogs are not dead, they are usually very ill.

I was surprised and horrified to find that my bitch came back as "affected". I started to do research and find that many, many breeders who had never produced JRD also had test results showing that their Poodles were JRD affected.

I understand that my bitch could possibly be JRD affected and asymptomatic, but she has 26 FULL siblings and non of them has ever come down with JRD. Sabrina also has 12 offspring on the ground who are 3-4 yrs old respectively. None of these Poodles have JRD. I would think that if my girl and her siblings carried the a double copy of the gene, then some of them would have ended up with JRD.

To date, the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), our health testing clearing house, has refused to post the results of the DOGene JRD test because they have said that the results have not proved to be accurate.

As a breeder, I will not be using the DOGenes JRD test until it has been approved by OFA.
Thank you for this reaction: did they give you any testresults as proof of this test? Or was it also bases on a few cases, like the cockers!

I's read about an other JRD-test only for the Lhasa Apso, Soft coated wheaten terrier and the shih tzu. (They do not claim poodles or cockers )This test talk about a completely different gene NPHP1: Ever heard of that one?

Regards,

Pien

1 - 7 of 7 Posts