Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to this forum, and to poodles. I bought my first dog, a Goldendoodle because of my allergies and I just connected so well with the dog. He was hit by a car about a month ago. The big fella was only 8 months old. I never realized how much a part of my life was and I had to have another dog in my life...soon. So I decided on a standard poodle. After about a month of breeder searching and rescue center visits, I bought Honey. She's a red standard. The most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
AWE!! Another Red!! She's a sweetie!! Where did you get her?
I have a red too, he's 4 mnths old.
So sorry for your loss of your Doodle pup :(

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Honey is a cutie. :) Seems like more and more red poodles on the forum lately. :)

Sorry to hear about your other dog.. that is always so hard!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah she's a sweetheart!
She was the only red in her litter of 10 so i knew i had to snatch her up, she was the first one to come up to me and she gave me so much love.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What a sweetheart!!! She's adorable. :)

Sorry about the loss of your pup. :(

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Awww, welcome :) So sorry to hear about your other puppy, I'm sure that was very hard. Your new baby is sooooo cute! Congrats!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
honey doing "watch me", she has mastered sit and down and watch me, not to mention her potty training all at about 11 weeks old!:):):)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
She is the most adorable thing I've seen in a long time.

:love:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we were fortunate enough to get both this pup and our late goldendoodle from breeders that were VERY involved with the puppies and made a point to have play time outside in the grass VERY often throughout the day (when they were old enough of course). But with both dogs we have had maybe 3 accidents total, none of which was a poop accident.

In the beginning we would take honey out every hour (my wife works from home so this isn't a problem) regardless of whether she went we still took her out. After a couple of days we lengthened it, after 2 weeks we were to 4 hours but at this time she was already sitting at the door letting us know se needed to go out. but we still honored the 4 hour mark. Now she just sits at the door and lets us know when she needs to pee or poop, usually with a little bark saying "helllllooooo THE PRINCESS NEEDS TO GO OUT!!". Im not expert or anything we've only had 2 dogs and because they are highly trainable, we decided to train her in accordance to our schedule.

so basically she hasn't experienced pooping or peeing in the house at all so she has no chance to associate the bathroom with inside. NEED TO GO + NEVER DONE IT INSIDE :/ = sitting at door

also bring a small chewy treat when you go outside right when she gets up treat her, we're trying to move away from treats though.

again she just never had the chance to go in the house. i don't know if this is good or bad way but it has definitely worked...

oh and we always take out ON LEASH, just more convenient because sometimes at night we can't see her :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
How lucky are you!?!

My 2 other dogs did great - but Olie just peed on the floor tonight and we are following similar things. Olie is 14 weeks now and still no real signs to go out. He has only peed in his crate once, which is good, small victories at this point.

Anyway - welcome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
another thing may be gender, long shot but hey you never know. Our Goldendoodle, Reagan, took until he was almost 4 months old to fall into a routine and consistently let us know he was ready to do the biz. He also was more 'concieted' about his accomplishments and his personality was psuedo-stubborn testosterone-driven masculinity. haha. Where as Honey just is goofy and polite and has an almost 'daintily humble' attitude. We always used to say Reagan's ego would get in the way.

"Every Dog's Different and Thats Why I Love 'Em" - Victoria Stilwell

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Sorry about your other dog. How would you compare the Doodle with the Poodle? If you had to choose again, would you choose a Poodle?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about your other dog. How would you compare the Doodle with the Poodle? If you had to choose again, would you choose a Poodle?
you know i couldn't make that choice. Reagan was our first (heres a pic of him) and he will always be in a special place in our hearts. He was such a reflection of who were are as a family, we never went anywhere without people complimenting us and him. He was so well behaved, and handsome and he knew it all right. Honey is such a different kind of perfect! I know some doodles are looked down upon because they're designer dogs but we were very careful in interviewing the breeders and held high standards with both parents. Our doodle was an F1b, which means his father was a Goldendoodle and his mother a poodle. So he didn't shed, which is something important to us as we have allergies like you wouldn't believe. Honey is the real thing, baby, and I'm so excited about watching her grow into our family. You read nothing but good things about poodles and its all true, they are a beautiful breed with endless possibilities as a part of a family.

Our doodle was very good to us, he was huge lover and his Mom was a papered champion as where her parents. His grandparent on the doodle's side were registered as well. And for both of these breeds CAN YOU SAY SMART SMART SMART!

Will we get another doodle? Probably not, because the breeders do not plan on another litter of any kind. We are very happy with our standard so far and will continue to be amazed by this breed.

the pictures are some random ones o you get an idea of size, the one in the car was taken about a week before he was hit and was the last photo taken of him.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts