Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to poodles and the forum. I have a beautiful and sweet 6 month old red toy poodle. He is an extremely picky eater and I'm wondering if there is a kibble out there that moms and dads of picky eaters can recommend? I was feeding Fromms, which he wasn't eating, and then switched to Purina Pro Plan, which he also stopped eating. I've been cooking for him (chicken, beef, turkey, white rice, sweet potatoes, carrots) which I'm sure has made him even pickier but he wasn't eating and I was nervous as he's only 4 pounds. I mix the homemade food in with the kibble, but he leaves the kibble behind in the bowl. Recommendations on good tasting kibble? I don't want to feed a grain-free kibble...

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
I had a very picky miniature poodle cross who would take a single piece of kibble, carry it all the way across the room, drop it on the area rug, eat it, walk all the way back to the bowl.....and repeat this until she'd eaten an approximate mouthful.

Eventually she learned to carry the whole mouthful to the carpet so she could save a few (dozen) trips. But it still took her ages to finish even a single serving for her size.

I coped by free feeding her a high quality kibble, monitoring her weight (or, more importantly her body composition and energy level), and not stressing about it. Often she'd go all day without eating and then enjoy a leisurely dinner. Or some days the mood would strike for a midday snack.

Eventually she grew out of this. After spending 6 months with my parents' pack of voracious eaters, while I immigrated to the United States, she turned into a ravenous beast. Honestly? I think she was happier before.

But if you'd like to try something new, the overwhelming favourite kibble for all our dogs has always been Nutro Ultra.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Well my standard is not a food motivated dog most days. There are exceptions. I put out his kibble mixed with a tablespoon of canned food. (mixed very well so most of the kibble is coated) that is what he gets. Some days I add Instinct dehydrated toppers to it, just a handful. If he choses not to eat I take it away and he is offered his dinner at regular time. If he refuses again. Thats it till the next day. He does get a few treats during the day. Of course he is almost 2 now and a large sized poodle, but I treat my chihuahua the same way. My chi is 17 now and has bad teeth but he will chew up a milk bone, lol he actually stopped eating then started with can so now I soak his kibble and add a little wet and he is back to eating.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have only sympathy to offer- I eventually just moved our 11lb mpoo to wet food since I couldn't get her to eat kibble either. Not my first choice, but mealtimes are now consistant and joyful instead of a battle. If you find one that works, please post and I will try on Jessie :)

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
I got mine to eat by mixing 1 tablespoon of canned food in his kibble, along with about 2 table spoons of hot water. It makes a «*delicious*» hot meal and he won’t have it any other way !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts