Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I want to start of by saying that they weren't lying when they said poodles are picky eaters. My little prince often dismisses all the 'specially made for picky eaters' treats - don't get me start on the usual treats.

I have noticed he enjoys chicken way too much - he goes hysterical for cooked chicken especially. He started off with a chicken flavoured puppy kibble initially, so could be why. Wondering if anyone has noticed something similar - preference for a particular meat.

Also, any recommendations on foods that your Poodle goes crazy about (or just in general) ?

Super Moderator
I went through no less than 12+ brands of kibble finding one my most picky eater would eat. Finally, she eats Royal Canine Puppy. She's not a puppy, she's almost 3 years old. And even with that, she's picky.

So I feed them a baked chicken thigh or drumstick every single morning. I buy in bulk (cheaper), then bake, wrap two or three legs in foil, and freeze them so I only have to cook every week to 10 days. Sometimes I feed them a hamburger or ham or a couple of eggs, which are cheap. They graze on kibble for the rest of the day until the next, although I often give them whatever leftovers I have for dinner.

There are many strategies and meal plans for poodle. Use the PF search bar too, typing in "picky eater" without the quotes. Right now I'm seeing 453 results!

Registered
Our standard is fussy with treats. Doesn鈥檛 like anything soft even if it鈥檚 super smelly, or anything baked. But on a whim I bought a small bag of 鈥渄uck jerky鈥 which is a hit, not sure if it鈥檚 the texture or that it鈥檚 only ingredient is meat. Of course chunks of cooked meat are acceptable too.

He鈥檚 not fussy with kibble, as long as it has a few tablespoons of rice sprinkled on top. Will eat a hearty meal and then graze on the leftovers.

Registered
I don鈥檛 indulge in any picky behavior for my toys. When I get a new dog, I make sure I go out of my way to try many different kinds of high quality foods for them to try. I use it as treat and let them pick their favorite. Then it becomes their food and they can鈥檛 fool me into thinking they don鈥檛 like it.

After that, if they don鈥檛 want to eat, it鈥檚 their choice. My male, Merlin, has an anxiety disorder and will sometimes not eat for up to 3 days when his routine changes. So I know they won鈥檛 die of starvation if they go one or even two days without eating. If you keep changing their food, they become tired of it and since they know they鈥檒l get something even tastier, why would they eat it ?

This does not apply to puppies. Puppies need to eat at every meal. But you still can find one food they like and stick to it.

Merlin wasn鈥檛 a big eater until I started putting about 2 tablespoon of warm water with his kibble, along with one big table spoon of canned food. He really likes that. There are ways to make it more appetizing. You could also buy some toppers, there are some really yummy ones. I never tried them but I鈥檝e heard good things about them.

Registered
Sammy is a strange "picky eater". He will only eat if I am within 6" or so of him. He is also a slow eater. I feed Royal Canine dry food and suppliment w/ about 2 ounces boiled chicken breast daily. The chicken was mostly used during training, but I have slacked off on that.
I have also boiled whole chicken, refridgerated over night, skimmed fat off, de-boned and separated into sandwich size zip-lock baggies, freeze and you've got food ( w/dry kibble - don't know why, but I think it's important ) for more than a week.

Super Moderator
I take a middle-of-the-road approach to this. I don't bend over backwards to accommodate Peggy, but I also don't force her to eat a food she doesn't want, because I trust that there might be a reason for it: Maybe the bag has gone off. Maybe it's too rich for her now that she's a little older. Maybe she's developed an intolerance to an ingredient. And so on.

What's currently working best for us is keeping her kibble topper (Weruva canned chicken) separate from her kibble (Farmina Ancestral Grains).

That way the kibble can stay out for grazing, but she's guaranteed to be eating two meals of wet food a day plus half her day's calories in "training treats" (which is just Honest Kitchen clusters鈥攁nother high-quality kibble she really loves and will happily work for).

Peggy also goes nuts for chicken and I don't see anything wrong with that. Use it to your advantage! Plain white chicken is a way better treat than any processed products you can buy at the pet store. Wait until it goes on sale, buy and cook in bulk, and then chop up into tiny morsels. Freeze them on a cookie sheet so they don't stick together, and then drop in a freezer bag. Pull out a few at a time to top puppy's meals. Or use them for training sessions.

Ta da! Happy human, happy poodle.

Registered
Sophy was "picky", back in the days when I fed kibble. She liked most biscuits when they were fresh, but refused them after 5 or 6 days when the oils began to go stale. I shifted her to a good wet food in trays which she enjoyed, and then started home cooking, which she likes even better. It takes a bit of research and planning but is considerably cheaper and very rewarding to have a dog bouncing in excitement at mealtimes, instead of sniffing the bowl and looking up in disappointment.

Poppy eats anything and everything, and always has!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

Super Moderator
Sophy was "picky", back in the days when I fed kibble. She liked most biscuits when they were fresh, but refused them after 5 or 6 days when the oils began to go stale. I shifted her to a good wet food in trays which she enjoyed, and then started home cooking, which she likes even better. It takes a bit of research and planning but is considerably cheaper and very rewarding to have a dog bouncing in excitement at mealtimes, instead of sniffing the bowl and looking up in disappointment.
This is so true. Peggy will happily eat her wet food, but I fed her homecooked today, since she was ill, and she went wild for it. Even my very frugal, very pragmatic husband said, "Sooo.... I guess this is what we're doing from now on?"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts