Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my shop phone rings and someone says they heard about me, I am excited and ask what breed of dog they have...Its a poodle! YEAH! I start to get happy. They tell me what they like and don't like. I make some notes in the appointment book so I can do exactly what they want to please them. I like a good challenge and am not afraid of ANYTHING they might ask for. But this is ALWAYS the problem. They bring in these horrible specimens and then request a shave down. Last week, I had a guy tell me on the phone, you BETTER do a good job....we get her done every 6 weeks....the other groomer we used it taking some time off. So I get all nervous, hoping I can meet their high expectations. In walks this filthy dirty woman with this overgrown mess of a toy poodle. I was in shock. I expected a slightly fuzzy version of a well-groomed poodle, wouldn't you? She said the other groomer always gives her round feet because the dog is 10 and can't be touched on her front legs. So I'm expecting a biting snarling dematting job that will take a long time. We had her done with poodle feet, nail polish and nice column legs, in a lamb trim about 3/4 inch all over cause she said she didn't want her to look "pink". She had a pink and purple bead necklace and the lady was in shock. Actually I was too. The dog had a course coat that dematted easily and although its nails were and inch long daggers, they clipped nice and short without bleeding at all and I did her in about an hour. I think she USED TO THINK the other groomer was wonderful....but seeing what I did in a hour floored her. I like these kind. I hate ones who complain about the other groomer and then all they want me to do is make their dog totally naked. Well anybody can do that. I like to turn something a mess into something thats proud to be called a poodle.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Those are my favorite too. I had one lady cry because her poodle had not been blown out since she moved here 3 yrs ago. I make her look like a poodle again. She hugged me and broke down right there. She is now a 4 week regular and her dog stays immaculate. It makes me feel so good when people really appreciate my work. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kudos to you! Sounds like you did a fabulous job! I wish you would have grabbed a before and after photo!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
ohhh yes, those clients can be a bit weird sometimes, going on about their old groomer and then coming to me... lol! It's great to be able to transform them into something great tho isn't it!! And yes, you need to make sure you do before & after pics next time! lol!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I did a pair of shih-tzu last week that the owner keeps short all over with a very short round face. She moved last year from another state, and when I gave the dogs back to her, she was geeked. all I did was a 5 blade with a super short tbh :)
I love it when the owners like the job I do.

OTOH I hate when people are dumb about things....I have had a request for a "cockapoo cut" a "pomeranian cut" and a "puppy cut" on a standard, that turned out to be a 4f kennel clip with round feet.

yep love those:fish:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I had a schnauzer client who said that whoever did his dog could never get it right, saying everyone left bald spots on the dog. Assuming it was because everyone was using a #10 on a poor coat, I did a #7 reverse and I've had him as a client for over a year and a half. I took a week off and my manager did the dog with a #10 with the grain, leaving the bald spots, and he bitched her out for a LONG time!

That schnauzer died last june though u_u he was a really good boy, they have a little girl schnauzer now, her coat is easier to work with, but her temperment is more shady.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts