Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my AKC registration form from the Breeder. In the section that asks about color she has put Silver. IF it turns out he is Blue and not Silver does that make a big difference on the paperwork? I think he is Blue but I am not positive. He is only 5 months. I am not going to breed him.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If the breeder seems to know what she is talking about then I would say to just register him as a silver. As far as I know it does not make a huge difference in the paperwork.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,318 Posts

I could be wrong and if so hope other members will jump in, but she looks like a beautiful Silver to me. The color of her very young face is the giveaway: it's a very light silver while the rest of her appears black.

You'll see that pattern if you do a google image search for Silver poodles and click on the various photos. This article on Poodle Silver coat colors should clarify. This page on Blues is informative too.

If you haven't sent in the registration yet and you're still not convinced, you can send her photo to AKC, see this page. If you go with your breeder's assessment and she turns out to be a blue 2 or 3 years from now (this happens frequently with pups born jet black), for a small fee you can change the color on her registration. For the form call AKC at (919) 233-9767.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Poodle color is like a box of chocolates. You never know what your going to get..... In other words - even the best who have the genetics down can't always predict what an adult color is going to be. For fun I have posted a picture of my girl Shasta and will let you debate on if she is a Silver Beige or a Cafe' au Latte. I have seen the arguments go both ways. Her paperwork says "brown" but she was also from a less than ethical breeder who was putting out dogs so fast she probably lost track of what pup belonged to what sire.

I do agree your beautiful baby looks silver, but even if that changes, that isn't written in stone. As mentioned you can always change it if needed.

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
Well the difference between Cafe au lait and silver beige is as simple as blue and silver. Silvers and silver beiges clear early, and is seen when you shave their faces at 6 weeks or earlier. Cafes and blue clear later, at 2+ Years of age.
My Cafe girl Bea was very dark still at two but is very light now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
View attachment 464967

I could be wrong and if so hope other members will jump in, but she looks like a beautiful Silver to me. The color of her very young face is the giveaway: it's a very light silver while the rest of her appears black.

You'll see that pattern if you do a google image search for Silver poodles and click on the various photos. This article on Poodle Silver coat colors should clarify. This page on Blues is informative too.

If you haven't sent in the registration yet and you're still not convinced, you can send her photo to AKC, see this page. If you go with your breeder's assessment and she turns out to be a blue 2 or 3 years from now (this happens frequently with pups born jet black), for a small fee you can change the color on her registration. For the form call AKC at (919) 233-9767.
Thank you for the information. I had Googled Silver and Blue Poodles but I was still confused. Yes, in this picture she does look more silver but her face is actually a bit darker than that. Hard to take a photo of her and have it come out so my ISO was turned up some on my camera. I think I read that a Silver Poodle will have light feet when they are trimmed. ?? I have only done hers with a #10 but they don't look light to me. Thank you again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol he's just so pretty! Silvers are my absolute favourite. (Don't tell Peggy.)
I love your Peggy!!! I didn't have a preference in color other than I did not want white. I'm kind of glad he will not stay black because, as many have said, taking photos is difficult.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts