Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have finally chosen a local standard poodle breeder and are just waiting for the mom to have her puppies. (Yay!!) I asked how they usually name their puppies for the CKC registration, and they said we can pick the reigstered name on our own and there is no theme (there was with our previous dogs). My kids have chosen the name Alice for the call name, and now I need to come up with a corresponding registered name.

How did you pick yours? Other than the obvious "Alice in Wonderland" (which is our first choice right now), any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Our 2008 litter was all named after Beatles song...Arreaus Sgt Pepper, Paperback Writer, I'll Follow the Sun, Golden Slumber, and with their music catalogue, we could name eight more litters after their music. But with events as they happened, this last litter was all name after Michael Jackson songs...Smooth Criminal, Rock With You, Thriller, Man in the Mirror.... The call name and the registered name do not have to have anything to do with each other. My female Whippet is Albelarm Lorricbrook Jitterbug and her call name is Iris. We also have had call names match the registered name like Lorricbrook William Tell and we called him Archer.

Who did you decide to go with...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't know how to do it, but "Go Ask Alice" would be cute too.

You know, from the song... :)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
All good ideas so far... the only other famous Alice I can think of is Alice from Mel's Diner... KISS MY GRITS! :lol:

·
Registered
741 Posts
alice who the **** is alice........ sorry i could help myself

songs with alice in

Living Next Door to Alice by New World Blues for Alice, All the Girls Love Alice

what colour is alice?

though the looking class with alice

Queen of hearts.

grinning like a cheshire cat

mad as a alice ( hatter)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arreau - we went with Magesterial Kennels in Kingston.

Alice will either be blue or apricot. We'd prefer blue, but we're the fifth ones to choose, so it depends on how many blues she has. I think we'll go with an apricot instead of waiting until the next litter.

Great suggestions, everyone! Keep them coming. :)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Does Magesterial Kennels do any health testing? I couldn't see anything on the website, and that is a worry. {edit: I found it, but they don't go very in depth}

I know this will sound ridiculous, but I would STRONGLY recommend finding another breeder. There are some GREAT breeders in Ontario.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not to sound rude... but what made you decide to go to that breeder? Not very impressive... and way over priced for what they offer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of all the breeders I contacted and who's websites I scoped out, this was the one I felt the most comfortable with. I've spent A LOT of time talking to him on the phone and feel comfortable with my decision. Their prices are pretty average for what other breeders around here are charging. Not sure what is so unimpressive about them, though.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I used a mixture of the dam and sires name. The sire had sweet in his name, and the dam had summer in hers. Riley is Kennelname Summer Sweet Boy (because he was born in the summer and is a sweet boy!).

Edit to add i used the dam and sires Registured names as mixes. Their call names were nothing like that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mom is called Gloria and dad is called Vincent. Wonder if I could tie that in with Alice somehow?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Though I am a bit surprised at your choice of breeders, in fairness to them, their price is definately in sync with this province. Actually they are lower priced than most.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
We've done all sorts of things for registered names. Their call name doesn't need to appear in the registered name.

Ziggy is [kennel name] Ziggy Stardust
Sam was [kennel name] Hurricane Sam
Laila was [kennel name] Northern Star

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish people wouldn't be so cryptic and passive aggressive and tell me why they are "surprised" at my choice of breeder. I would really like to know the issue with this breeder, although no one can seem to agree on any one breeder, from my experience!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I was thinking the same thing when I read this thread.

Questioning a breeder choice without reason as to why isn't very helpful.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Did you ask for referrals when you first came on here...I think you did but can`t remember. And didn`t you want red...again I think you did but cannot remember. I know I gave you a referral because you didn`t want to wait until my litter was going to be born, then you were going with the one who started yet another heated thread because your husband decided on brown. Then that thankfully fell by the wayside. Now you are getting blue or apricot. I am just so confused now I cannot keep up. Did someone on here recommend your kennel of choice...why did they recommend them...

You will find that you will get some very strong opinions based on health testing, bloodlines, COI`s, price, web sites, number of dogs a breeder produces, and it would be a very rare event to have everyone on here agree on a breeder, but if you did ask for referrals and you got some, and you didn`t get any for these guys, what made you go with them...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts