Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on the forum for quite awhile. Luckily, the quarantine has given me plenty of time to visit again. Thought I would post some photos of my girls while I was here. I'm including a couple of what happens when a brown poodle gets skunked, then bathed in peroxide skunk shampoo. Not a pretty sight. Bad bleach job, anyone? Lol. Ana is the small brown mini and Lola is the black. Both are finished champions and Lola is also a therapy dog working Ana right before cut down (2).jpg Ana cut down.jpg Ana after peroxide skunk bath.jpg Ana growing out after skunk.jpg Ana sunbating.jpg Lola sitting on deck.jpg Lola waiting for treat.jpg with kids in libraries and schools. I've started doing nosework with both girls but had to stop because of the quarantine. We'll start again once we get the all clear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never want to deal with skunks again! It took a month to get the smell out of the house. Both girls were sprayed. Lola ran in the doggy door while I was trying to catch Ana. I came in with Ana and found Lola rubbing her face on my bed. What a nightmare! An engineer friend finally brought me an ozone generator to get the last of the odor out of the house. Ugh!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Beautiful poodles! As the owner of a black mini, I hope never to have to use the skunk off stuff. However, there’s a lot of wildlife where we live and she has a strong prey drive...so may not escape it!

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
I have never had a skunk issue though I am sure there are some on the property. With your story I hope I never have to deal with it (your bleached dog is a hoot)

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
They are very, very good looking girls! Hope it’s their last encounter with a skunk!

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Loved the skunk story, I hope I never have to face this problem. That last picture of Ana, the look on her face is priceless. Both of your dogs are gorgeous.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Loved the skunk story, I hope I never have to face this problem. That last picture of Ana, the look on her face is priceless. Both of your dogs are gorgeous.
I know! It's funny how she almost looks embarrassed. Like she knows she's a funny color.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are very, very good looking girls! Hope it’s their last encounter with a skunk!
Thank you! I love them to death. I hope we don't meet the skunk again but he is in the neighborhood. My neighbor keeps seeing him on his ring doorbell.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Your girls are gorgeous!

I never want to deal with skunks again! It took a month to get the smell out of the house. Both girls were sprayed. Lola ran in the doggy door while I was trying to catch Ana. I came in with Ana and found Lola rubbing her face on my bed. What a nightmare! An engineer friend finally brought me an ozone generator to get the last of the odor out of the house. Ugh!
I’m glad we don’t get skunks in the uk they sounds horrible!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beautiful poodles! As the owner of a black mini, I hope never to have to use the skunk off stuff. However, there’s a lot of wildlife where we live and she has a strong prey drive...so may not escape it!
Thank you. I don't think the Skunk Off shampoo, made by Nature's Miracle, bleaches them. I used the formula recommended by the emergency clinic which is made of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dawn dish soap. It happened at 10:30 pm so had to use what I had in the house. I gave them two baths that night then took them to their groomer the next day. She did them twice then let the last wash sit on them for 30 min. That's when the bleaching took place. At least I had a good laugh when I picked them up!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are gorgeous! I’m so sorry you had to deal with a skunk fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was partly my own fault, although I didn't know it at the time. I always had a bowl of water on the deck so the girls didn't have to go inside while I was working in the garden. It drew the skunk onto the deck. They caught it under the table as it was leaving the bowl. Lola got blasted first then Ana chased it as it waddled off the deck. I went after Ana, hoping to catch her before she got sprayed. I wasn't fast enough...lol. Needless to say, no more outside water bowl! They can use the doggy door to go in if they get thirsty!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your girls are gorgeous!

I’m glad we don’t get skunks in the uk they sounds horrible!
Thanks! They are horrible, even though he was just trying to protect himself. I don't even live out in the country! I'm in the middle of a neighborhood.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have never had a skunk issue though I am sure there are some on the property. With your story I hope I never have to deal with it (your bleached dog is a hoot)
I now keep the outside lights on at night. Skunks prefer dark places. I also go out with a flashlight and do a quick check of the dark places before taking the girls out for their final potty. No more skunk encounters if I can help it!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I love your pics! Your dogs are so cute.
I live right on the edge of the suburbs where the sprawling farms and woods begin. I regularly hear/see coyotes and raccoons and am on the lookout the lookout them. I’m guessing skunks are around too, but I never really thought about what the consequences would be if met face to face with one since I rarely smell any. Yikes.
I shine my bright (taser’s) flashlight all over the yard before letting my dog out at night to be sure no critters are hanging around. When it’s not winter I go outside to supervise too since I don’t have a fenced yard.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you. I'm a doting mom and think they're pretty cute myself...lol. They keep me laughing, even in these trying times. Don't know what I would do without them.

I'm in the middle of the neighborhood and have a fence but Boulder County has a policy for leaving lots of open space between developments. We definitely have coyotes, raccoons, skunks, and bunnies. The bunnies are ever-present but I was surprised by the skunk. I thought they would stay around the perimeter of the neighborhood where it touches the open space. My neighbor had raccoons that came for her grapes so I guess they could come into any of our yards if something attracted them. That's why I quit leaving an outside water bowl.

The skunk smell, up close, is unlike anything I have ever experienced. It doesn't even smell like what you expect. My eyes watered for almost a week. I'm not sure how I survived in the house. Because Lola ran in the doggy door while I was chasing Ana, she had plenty of time to rub her face on who knows what. I went through the house with skunk off and sprayed rugs, couch, benches, dog beds...everything I thought she might have touched. It was almost unbearable for 2 weeks. Slightly tolerable for weeks 3-4. After that, I used an ozone generator for 2 days and that took care of the lingering odor. I had to toss the rug and cushions from the deck since the girls caught the skunk under the table. Nope...never want a repeat performance!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts